Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Sani »

wahoowa wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:23 pm i'm gonna zag here. they'll probably stick a huge poster on the att building like they do at the mainmark. i'm picturing the biggest jungle law ad known to man. i am 100% down for that.
Surely they can get into a three-way bidding war with Brad Bradshaw and Mike, who I understand has "got this."
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

wahoowa wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:23 pm i'm gonna zag here. they'll probably stick a huge poster on the att building like they do at the mainmark. i'm picturing the biggest jungle law ad known to man. i am 100% down for that.
I'm too lazy/busy to photoshop the image, so use your imagination...
"Property taken by corrupt politicians?
Business displaced by corporate greed?
JUNGLE LAW 833-4-TARZAN"
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Sani wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:58 pm
Surely they can get into a three-way bidding war with Brad Bradshaw and Mike, who I understand has "got this."
HAHAHAHA!!! These are the comments I come for!

All joking aside, I've come to enjoy the AT&T Long Lines Building in my older age. There's a certain handsomeness and understated elegance to it. The top of it is a bit ugly, but otherwise handsome in its own way... (I also have a great affinity for brutualism, but that's for another topic).

And just to summarize: It seems people are cautiously optimistic for this. Lots of unanswered questions are still looming. Hopefully the community will be able to continue to give input in terms of design and other aspects.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

IMMINENT DOMAIN?
Sure, if you want.
www.junglelaw.com
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Heard from a friend there who is a member of Resurrection that the management are more than open to sell for the right price. Not exactly news but just goes to show everything has its price and they won't stubbornly just block any purchase out of sheer spite or pride.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:50 pm Heard from a friend there who is a member of Resurrection that the management are more than open to sell for the right price. Not exactly news but just goes to show everything has its price and they won't stubbornly just block any purchase out of sheer spite or pride.
Not at all surprising. Thats a satellite campus and not an iconic building. They will find another property and build something even better.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The shooting event at the Chiefs parade will not bode well for the vote to extend the tax as it pertains to a downtown baseball stadium. There will be a lot of people who will use the issue to prove downtown isn't safe and the stadium should stay at TSC or be placed elsewhere.

There might be voters who vote NO just to stop the stadium from moving, and hope that there will be a second vote to extend the tax after the Royals revise their plan.

This is a bad look for Kansas City, especially since it's now a national story. It is certainly a tragedy for those injured and dead, and their families.

In the reportage, national news mentioned Kansas City having "one of the highest crime rates in the country."
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

If the shooting sways just 1-2% of people from not wanting a downtown stadium that could doom the vote... American gun culture is disgusting.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:43 pm The shooting event at the Chiefs parade will not bode well for the vote to extend the tax as it pertains to a downtown baseball stadium. There will be a lot of people who will use the issue to prove downtown isn't safe and the stadium should stay at TSC or be placed elsewhere.

There might be voters who vote NO just to stop the stadium from moving, and hope that there will be a second vote to extend the tax after the Royals revise their plan.

This is a bad look for Kansas City, especially since it's now a national story. It is certainly a tragedy for those injured and dead, and their families.

In the reportage, national news mentioned Kansas City having "one of the highest crime rates in the country."
It could not have happened at a worse time and setting. The events at Crown Center a few weeks ago (another shooting) didn't generate a lot of press but probably satisfied the confirmation bias of many suburbanites about downtown. This shooting is going to bring the crime aspect of a downtown stadium to the forefront that may put it up there with parking and traffic as a reason to vote no. Ultimately, there's a significant part of KC's metro population that much prefers the hermetically sealed environment of TSC and the drive to/drive back mentality of life in the city.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

dnweava wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:09 pm If the shooting sways just 1-2% of people from not wanting a downtown stadium that could doom the vote... American gun culture is disgusting.
Correction: American criminal culture.

We enable this, in so many different ways. Poor education standards, lack of personal responsibility, etc.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In an interview on KMBC, a mother who brought her daughter to the celebration said that even though she loved the Chiefs, she wouldn't attend any future celebrations downtown. This crystallized the issue to many watching on TV I'm sure.

There were a lot of children who were let out of school today who were there, and I'm sure their parents will feel the same way. I can imagine many people who go to Royals games with kids will think about walking from a downtown stadium to their parking space or a garage at night after a game and not vote to approve a downtown stadium. If it gets built downtown, many long-time fans might not come. The election is just six weeks from now, so it will be fresh on the minds of Jackson County voters.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Every last vote counts. If it takes me and other ordinary people going out and putting leaflets through doors so be it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Perception is reality for most voters (and Royals game attendees) that are on the fence. Having a horrible incident like yesterday is all that many need to vote against the downtown relocation or vow not to attend games there even though the finished stadium is a long ways off. People don't like the unfamiliar and the thought of having to drive downtown and find a parking spot a couple blocks away in an area experiencing random violence by youth and/or gangs just isn't palatable when people are used to a large secluded parking lot.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It’s unfortunate that some people will use yesterday’s incredibly isolated event as an excuse to vote no. The shootings we often see in this city are almost always tied to inner city violence and happen in very specific areas, related to very specific circumstances. In no way does yesterdays shooting accurately represent the typical violence Kansas City suffers from.

One of these situations that will never be resolved due to the lack of truth being discussed.

Just sickens me to see this happen and I pray those who were affected yesterday get the help they need to not suffer long term.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:53 pm
dnweava wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:09 pm If the shooting sways just 1-2% of people from not wanting a downtown stadium that could doom the vote... American gun culture is disgusting.
Correction: American criminal culture.

We enable this, in so many different ways. Poor education standards, lack of personal responsibility, etc.
.....readily available high-capacity firearms.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's amazing to me that over twenty people were shot in front of 800 police officers but stupid fuck boys just say hey let's move on.

Take a long walk off a short pier.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

While I think in the direct aftermath of an event like this, people will be hesitant to be in the same area. But, with a little time and perspective, I think people will see that makes very little sense. This was an event that attracted hundreds of thousands of people from all over the region and metro, the fact that it happened to occur downtown had absolutely nothing to do with the shooting and placing the blame on downtown makes no sense whatsoever.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was there, ran home, went out later to pick up dinner, and still live downtown.

But we have a huge gun and policing problem, and we can't ignore it.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think you mean to say we shouldn't ignore it. We can ignore it, indeed we probably will.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So... we should ban all the black people?
KC is the way to be!