Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:03 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:50 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 pm

If anyone needs any more confirmation from what I've said before...

This is an agreement between cordish and the royals and the city.

Don't get too excited for that billion dollar investment. Think very similar to cordish, as in promise and delay.
Promise and delay? What are you talking about? A master development agreement is a long term development plan. What has been promised and not delivered on?

I’m not sure why you’re so pessimistic about this but you’re clearly only speculating and have no actual knowledge. You didn’t get your way, so you’re talking shit. Just like how you told everyone on here I don’t know anything when I said this location was a possibility two damn years ago. You’re just making things up.
I've made it clear through every thread.

Cordish has a very favorable master development agreement in power and light. They build one building after the other one is rented out, to massive subsidies from the city for parking.

Cordish has failed to lease significant areas because reasons.

Cordish got two properties across from Truman with grandfathered exclusions

Cordish wants big subsidies for a park over the highway.

Ev has been banked for years years to build this ball park

Late switch

What did I get wrong?
Massive subsidies? The city pays for the parking and that’s it. Cordish should feel bad for negotiating a fantastic master development agreement almost 20 years ago when downtown was in rough shape? Cordish should be forced to build multiple towers at once and lose money for years while they slowly fill up?

Cordish doesn’t want massive subsidies for the park. That’s not their project but they have financially invested and it will be great for them.

Cordish made a smart play and got the deals done for the lots across the interstate right before the deadline.

It’s weird that you’re mad at them for being smart business people.

As for “failed to lease”. Call it what you want but commercial retail leasing isn’t as easy as people may think. There’s not much left that’s not leased at this point and the way it’s going I’d expect them to be almost completely leased out by middle of next year.

EV has been land banked for years by a developer who was betting on a stadium for a good payday. That’s on them. The royals weren’t involved in banking the land and the decision to not do anything with it all these years.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:09 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm The only thing that drives quicker build times is demand. All three light buildings have won numerous awards for their designs. Cordish has been by far the most active developer in downtown for the last 20 years.

This is the dream. It’s just not your dream. A downtown baseball stadium within a block of our cities best entertainment area with a storied sports watch history. A large cap park that will connect it all together even more. 3 more residential towers in PNL, more across the park plus a massive project where Strata was supposed to go but failed by a competing developer.
I know you’re just trying to justify your PR check for deflecting on this board, but I don’t need your hype responses to my posts. This is a terrible plan.
I’m not doing anything but responding to silliness. If I were getting paid to do PR you’d know it. Telling you exactly what the future holds for downtown is a “hype” response? Lol

I get it. In your opinion, this isn’t a good plan.

You’ll be proven wrong but we will never see you own it.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:10 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:04 am
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:43 pm

Even if it's been surrounded by parking lots?

We were promised the same thing with Sprint center and you know the lots around it.

I'm surprised you're not more annoyed by this half baked plan.

I love to see what our architects can do, but this isn't that stage.
We don’t know that it’ll be surrounded by parking lots yet, do we? And if we want to prevent that from happening, we need to turn urgency into action and get the city council to take on an ordinance that makes it a loser to demolish buildings for parking lots. It’s past time they did it anyways. We can sit around and feel sorry about ourselves or we can do something positive. I’ll go for doing something positive.

Two things can be true at once.

And full disclosure that I won’t elaborate on, I’m in favor of this because of personal ventures nearby.
I know the last time what happened though, and I know how reluctant local developers are to sell.
We need strong and clear policy to ensure we move forward smartly. But that’s a discussion for outside the forum.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

That's fine.

This was pushed because they said a new district would kill any chance of power and light being able to pay money back to the bonds.

Cordish wants to develop on their properties and didn't want another developer close by.

It was incredibly incestuous.

Whatever, you'll all see soon and so be it. Yay pretty renderings.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Do the research, people. Connect the dots. Royals – Mahomes – Chiefs – Kelce – Taylor – Vegas – Cordish. The whole thing was rigged.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:37 pm I’m just curious to see the vision for the stadium at this point. It’s been hyped up to me over the past week and I’m interested in seeing it.
Can you say a little more about what's been hyped? People in the know enthusiastic?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Last edited by Midtownkid on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm
All three light buildings have won numerous awards for their designs.
What awards did 2 Light get? That building is a DOG. The rooftop equipment isn't even screened. Looks like shit!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

taxi wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 am Do the research, people. Connect the dots. Royals – Mahomes – Chiefs – Kelce – Taylor – Vegas – Cordish. The whole thing was rigged.
I'm happy you've never changed ♥️
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

smh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:41 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:37 pm I’m just curious to see the vision for the stadium at this point. It’s been hyped up to me over the past week and I’m interested in seeing it.
Can you say a little more about what's been hyped? People in the know enthusiastic?
The hyping up has been on the side of the design and on the vision of a surrounding district. Granted what might be epic to others might be dull to us.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:18 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:50 pm

Promise and delay? What are you talking about? A master development agreement is a long term development plan. What has been promised and not delivered on?

I’m not sure why you’re so pessimistic about this but you’re clearly only speculating and have no actual knowledge. You didn’t get your way, so you’re talking shit. Just like how you told everyone on here I don’t know anything when I said this location was a possibility two damn years ago. You’re just making things up.

Cordish has a very favorable master development agreement in power and light. They build one building after the other one is rented out, to massive subsidies from the city for parking.

Late switch

What did I get wrong?
Massive subsidies? The city pays for the parking and that’s it. Cordish should feel bad for negotiating a fantastic master development agreement almost 20 years ago when downtown was in rough shape? Cordish should be forced to build multiple towers at once and lose money for years while they slowly fill up?

Cordish doesn’t want massive subsidies for the park. That’s not their project but they have financially invested and it will be great for them.

Cordish made a smart play and got the deals done for the lots across the interstate right before the deadline.

As for “failed to lease”. Call it what you want but commercial retail leasing isn’t as easy as people may think. There’s not much left that’s not leased at this point and the way it’s going I’d expect them to be almost completely leased out by middle of next year.

EV has been land banked for years by a developer who was betting on a stadium for a good payday. That’s on them. The royals weren’t involved in banking the land and the decision to not do anything with it all these years.
Those garage subsidies are worth tens of millions of dollars per building… and it’s an actual cash outlay by the city as opposed to just tax abatement or TIF.

I like your enthusiasm for the crossroads site and agree with a bunch of your comments, but many developers would be the most active developer in downtown KC if they had that level of support
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mourban wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:35 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:18 am

Late switch

What did I get wrong?

Those garage subsidies are worth tens of millions of dollars per building… and it’s an actual cash outlay by the city as opposed to just tax abatement or TIF.

I like your enthusiasm for the crossroads site and agree with a bunch of your comments, but many developers would be the most active developer in downtown KC if they had that level of support
Yes, but they negotiated that support when downtown was a dog and no one wanted to invest. I can’t be mad that they are good at what they do. No other developer could actually get their shit together as it was attempted for a decade plus before Cordish came along.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

What a disaster
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm
All three light buildings have won numerous awards for their designs.
What awards did 2 Light get? That building is a DOG. The rooftop equipment isn't even screened. Looks like shit!
Seven crystal merit awards to name a few. You know there’s more to a buildings success than just the exterior. Lowes has exposed equipment in their roof, is that a dog too?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:45 am That's fine.

This was pushed because they said a new district would kill any chance of power and light being able to pay money back to the bonds.

Cordish wants to develop on their properties and didn't want another developer close by.

It was incredibly incestuous.

Whatever, you'll all see soon and so be it. Yay pretty renderings.
So incestuous. A developer who has invested billions into downtown wanting to protect its investment while also working with the royals to help get this done. A developer who literally partners with three other MLB teams in this country.

Why are you made at business being business? Were you hoping Cordish would get a competitive project a few blocks away and have it canabilized? Maybe the city should build another arena next door to T-Mobile while we are tossing around amazing ideas.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

well the wait is over and local media is reporting the Crossroads site will be the new location for the stadium. Glad they have made their decision finally and will be able to provide some definitive information, renderings, etc.

This spot is not my favorite, as I feel it will detract from what the Crossroads is as a unique neighborhood and "district" with Kansas City. With the stadium as a neighbor the whole area will now be more "corporatized" and some of the charm will either bee washed away completely or muted to the background.

I'm happy and excited for downtown baseball and I will be super excited to attend games and enjoy the new game day experience with it being downtown.

I'm just frustrated that a site like the EV will again be overlooked and left to be vacant and bare for more decades to come. IMO a big swing and miss for the EV and now it will remain a huge gaping sore in what will otherwise be a a gorgeous and vibrant downtown. Hopefully I'm wrong and we will start to see movement in the EV and the Paseo West neighborhoods. Along with redesign & development of the East loop. There is potential there and the city really needs to look East and look to the Northern edge of downtown for development. Plenty of vacant properties, vacant lots, and parking sites that could be developed.

A happy and sad day for sure to be announced around 2:30pm. Go Royals!
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Lots of online opposition now from the urban vote from what I see in addition to the expected suburban vote complaining about crime and parking.

The renderings and the details better be good today or this is by no means a certainty to be voted through even piggy backing onto the Chiefs.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:00 pm well the wait is over and local media is reporting the Crossroads site will be the new location for the stadium. Glad they have made their decision finally and will be able to provide some definitive information, renderings, etc.

This spot is not my favorite, as I feel it will detract from what the Crossroads is as a unique neighborhood and "district" with Kansas City. With the stadium as a neighbor the whole area will now be more "corporatized" and some of the charm will either bee washed away completely or muted to the background.

I'm happy and excited for downtown baseball and I will be super excited to attend games and enjoy the new game day experience with it being downtown.

I'm just frustrated that a site like the EV will again be overlooked and left to be vacant and bare for more decades to come. IMO a big swing and miss for the EV and now it will remain a huge gaping sore in what will otherwise be a a gorgeous and vibrant downtown. Hopefully I'm wrong and we will start to see movement in the EV and the Paseo West neighborhoods. Along with redesign & development of the East loop. There is potential there and the city really needs to look East and look to the Northern edge of downtown for development. Plenty of vacant properties, vacant lots, and parking sites that could be developed.

A happy and sad day for sure to be announced around 2:30pm. Go Royals!
Can I just say thank you for being positive! I appreciate this isn’t everyone’s ideal location but I think it’s sad to see so many people talking trash and calling it a disaster amongst other things.

We are getting downtown baseball! We get to see a brand new stadium go up in our lifetimes. There’s so much more to be excited about even if it’s not everyone’s favorite landing spot.

I do think EV will see movement. They simply can’t afford to sit on that investment much longer.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I've enjoyed following the debate throughout this thread. Excited to see what the Royals have come up with. To me, the design/plan will make or break this; they need to follow through on whatever they promise moving forward, including ancillary development and/or cap park integration.

I actually think the constraints around the Crossroads site might result in a better plan than EV, but I guess we shall see soon enough. On to the announcement!
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I had high hopes for EV.

But as an after thought that area is too isolated for expensive (high-rise high-rent)
development. And MODOT was never going to do anything with the east loop. They are worthless. EV is hopelessly juxtaposed for medium to low density. A stadium there is fine but I couldn't see high-rise development there.

I hate that the 1500 Grand storefront and long time businesses could be wiped out or relocated. That was the truly the last street front of old KC downtown history left.

It will be years if ever that EV is built out. It seems hopeless. KC cannot manage crime. Things will only get worse. KC has no development leadership. No vision. The school district leaders should be jailed for child abuse. Inner city kids can't read. The last vision the city had was for the Royals to build in EV and that failed. Tells you how bad KC is. Are we holding our own with other cities? I say no. Taste the biscuit.