Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

We were told everybody was contacted at one point in this thread. Maybe the post meant to say nobody?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

To be clear, the team cannot condemn. That would either be the city, the county, MoDOT, PortKC, KCATA or something like that… and they need a sound justification for it to avoid legal threats.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:28 am We were told everybody was contacted at one point in this thread. Maybe the post meant to say nobody?
Probably just U-haul LOL
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:28 am We were told everybody was contacted at one point in this thread. Maybe the post meant to say nobody?
No one said “everybody” was contacted.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:28 am To be clear, the team cannot condemn. That would either be the city, the county, MoDOT, PortKC, KCATA or something like that… and they need a sound justification for it to avoid legal threats.
Not specifically speaking about this project, but there’s clear legal precedent on this. Sound justification can be as simple as the future planned use would be better for the greater good than current use. This has been settled at the highest levels. Granted the court of public opinion is a different beast.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:28 am To be clear, the team cannot condemn. That would either be the city, the county, MoDOT, PortKC, KCATA or something like that… and they need a sound justification for it to avoid legal threats.
Yeah I was just being flippant. I think that will be a mess.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

For those that are getting all excited as if this is a detriment to EC site. The Royals have never proposed or released info to indicate the stadium would go on Grand. The original idea had it going to the east. The only world where we have seen any concepts about it going along Grand have been on this forum as we’ve all enjoyed speculating and discussing the options.

Edit: And Tony who owns the start building but he’s tossing out every potential idea.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:33 am
Not specifically speaking about this project, but there’s clear legal precedent on this. Sound justification can be as simple as the future planned use would be better for the greater good than current use. This has been settled at the highest levels. Granted the court of public opinion is a different beast.
You're more confident than I would be. Missouri has very weak eminent domain laws, but not zero. Every property still has the right to contest it individually. It can't be solely for economic development, and the burden is on the condemning authority.

You can call a perfectly good place blighted depending on the neighborhood but it's not super easy if people want to fight.

You're talking a lot of time in court though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:49 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:33 am
You're more confident than I would be. Missouri has very weak eminent domain laws, but not zero. Every property still has the right to contest it individually. It can't be solely for economic development, and the burden is on the condemning authority.

You can call a perfectly good place blighted depending on the neighborhood but it's not super easy if people want to fight.

You're talking a lot of time in court though.
You’re right. Sorry I was thinking more about eminent domain opposed to blight. The Supreme Court has rule on this and “better for economic development” is considered a perfectly reasonable argument for its use.

But I think talk about ED (except for a few old timers on here) is very premature. Money talks.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:03 am Money talks.
To you.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

taxi wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:09 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:03 am Money talks.
To you.
I can't you seriously. There are no well established, historically recognized businesses in this area. The most vocal proponent saying, "he ain't moving" bought his building in 2019 for around $200,000 dollars and it's not a location intensive business model. I think someone offering twice what he paid becomes something he would strongly consider.

The most gritty and longest established owner in this entire area is the Prisciotta family and I've personally discussed this with them. Money talks.

We don't even know where the exact location is yet and after the meeting I was in yesterday, I'm no longer speculating. I'll just continue to defend this location as the best possible one between it and East Village.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

At our crossroads community association meeting on Thursday evening to discuss the stadium, multiple property owners on Oak confirmed they have been contacted by Polsinelli about selling. The CCA has been approached by the Royals as well, albeit with zero specifics. Tony was there doing his thing. Matt Abbott was supportive of the EC location, with caveats. Most in the room were concerned business owners, who I can’t blame considering the total lack of specifics.

I am 100% for the EC, but it kind of boggles my mind that the Royals have allowed this process to play out so chaotically. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but their credibility on this is eroding by the day and certainly makes me question their ability to pull the whole thing off.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

UMKCroo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:26 pm At our crossroads community association meeting on Thursday evening to discuss the stadium, multiple property owners on Oak confirmed they have been contacted by Polsinelli about selling. The CCA has been approached by the Royals as well, albeit with zero specifics. Tony was there doing his thing. Matt Abbott was supportive of the EC location, with caveats. Most in the room were concerned business owners, who I can’t blame considering the total lack of specifics.

I am 100% for the EC, but it kind of boggles my mind that the Royals have allowed this process to play out so chaotically. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but their credibility on this is eroding by the day and certainly makes me question their ability to pull the whole thing off.
Without knowing the details of any of this, I support this take.

I'm just very frustrated by this process and I think the royals are most to blame. Along with two others.

I've heard the same rumors as everyone else but with no credibility level to share. And they don't all point the same way.

I can't think of a worse way to handle this process. I said early on I had no problem getting rid of of the star building. I just want a plan that doesn't destroy my neighborhood.

I disagree with you on ec, but I think the take is right. They could have done this in a way that I could have supported, reluctantly.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:15 pm
UMKCroo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:26 pm At our crossroads community association meeting on Thursday evening to discuss the stadium, multiple property owners on Oak confirmed they have been contacted by Polsinelli about selling. The CCA has been approached by the Royals as well, albeit with zero specifics. Tony was there doing his thing. Matt Abbott was supportive of the EC location, with caveats. Most in the room were concerned business owners, who I can’t blame considering the total lack of specifics.

I'm just very frustrated by this process and I think the royals are most to blame. Along with two others.

I've heard the same rumors as everyone else but with no credibility level to share. And they don't all point the same way.

I can't think of a worse way to handle this process. I said early on I had no problem getting rid of of the star building. I just want a plan that doesn't destroy my neighborhood.

I disagree with you on ec, but I think the take is right. They could have done this in a way that I could have supported, reluctantly.
The Royals are the only ones to blame here. They started out on their own and should have sought experienced partners or advisors before taking anything to the public. They are getting this train back on the tracks with the help of others and will come back to the table with a much better plan.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:57 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:15 pm

The Royals are the only ones to blame here. They started out on their own and should have sought experienced partners or advisors before taking anything to the public. They are getting this train back on the tracks with the help of others and will come back to the table with a much better plan.
We're going in circles here. All of the parties have been named in this thread, for the most part.

I don't know enough to contribute anything of use beyond my opinion which is worth nothing. I said where this is coming from, who is involved, and my issues with it.

Everyone now gets to decide.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

All I’m saying is no one was involved in the past dealings where the royals announced multiple sites and showed the two sets of renderings for other locations. It wasn’t until late 2023 that the city and Cordish got involved. This is when things got quiet as they wanted to present a clear and well thought out proposal.

Two things messed this up. A journalist noticing one meeting and doing their job. Guy who owns the star building. Otherwise this forum was the only public place seriously discussing the crossroads location.

That past dealings and the shoot from the hip launch was what made this all messy.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

My understanding of cordish involvement is different, but whatever. I heard they put significant pressure on both the city and the royals saying we have an entertainment district right here, work together, you guys will end up paying less.

The rest mostly matches what I've heard.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, it's going to be hard to sell anything to the public after the way the Royals have acted with the constant flip flopping & never following their own deadlines for any site the stadium could go on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:35 pm My understanding of cordish involvement is different, but whatever. I heard they put significant pressure on both the city and the royals saying we have an entertainment district right here, work together, you guys will end up paying less.

The rest mostly matches what I've heard.
I wouldn’t use the term pressure. I think they along with the city finally got a sit down with John Sherman and he really liked what they had to say and the potential overall value they bring to the table.

They had tried setting this up months before the Royals went public with any ideas but had difficulty getting a meeting. Had that meeting happened a year ago, we would be simply nearing a formality opposed to an uncertain vote.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Everything is a game of telephone depending on who you talk to. I said earlier I don't know anything. I can't bitch at other people for saying what I think is wrong and come out with my own bs.

I keep saying I'll leave this thread alone but it's so important I can't help myself.

I'm happy we can both agree the royals fucked it though. Let's take our wins.