Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

I think an underrated issue is how much Americans, especially suburban living Americans, enjoy surface parking over garages.

Back when Glass still owned the royals and we went through this, people would show a picture of how far it would take you to walk from the lots at Kauffman compared to downtown and that garages would be less walking. No one cared.

This is my main concern for the EC. You have multiple land owners and it's easy to just sit on it and make more money than you ever have supplying parking.

So you think your average suburban baseball fan from KC would pull into a garage or pay for a surface lot?

We're still having problems with kci because people just want to pull up and park and no one will tell them no. The car culture here is strong and I don't want it to overtake downtown because cordish is pissy about another district.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:23 pm I think an underrated issue is how much Americans, especially suburban living Americans, enjoy surface parking over garages.

Back when Glass still owned the royals and we went through this, people would allow a picture of how far it would take you walk from the lots at Kauffman compared to downtown and that garages would be less walking.

This is my main concern for the EC. You have multiple land owners and it's easy to just sit on it and make more money than you ever have supplying parking.

So you think your average suburban baseball fan from KC would pull into a garage or pay for a surface lot?

We're still having problems with kci because people just want to pull up and park and no one will tell them no. Three car culture here is strong and I don't want it to overtake downtown because cordish is pissy about another district.
Doesn't just about every attendee at an event at the Tmobile Center park in a garage? I know when I go, I park in P&L garage and pay the event parking fee. When I go to the PAC, I park in the PAC garage. It's generally full on a busy night. I think more people are willing to park in garages than you think. Especially when it's obviously a public parking facility whereas many of the surface lots are far more ambiguous.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:23 pm I think an underrated issue is how much Americans, especially suburban living Americans, enjoy surface parking over garages.

Back when Glass still owned the royals and we went through this, people would show a picture of how far it would take you to walk from the lots at Kauffman compared to downtown and that garages would be less walking. No one cared.

We're still having problems with kci because people just want to pull up and park and no one will tell them no. The car culture here is strong and I don't want it to overtake downtown because cordish is pissy about another district.
I'm not sure about that. I mean around here there are just as many garages in the suburbs as surface parking in many areas. I have to park in a garage when I go to many big box stores etc. and prefer it over surface lots in most cases.

People want convenience, that's all. Now some garages are not designed for mass exits. So when I park in DC for games, concerts etc, I avoid some garages, but people learn where to park.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:28 pm

Back when Glass still owned the royals and we went through this, people would allow a picture of how far it would take you walk from the lots at Kauffman compared to downtown and that garages would be less walking.

We're still having problems with kci because people just want to pull up and park and no one will tell them no. Three car culture here is strong and I don't want it to overtake downtown because cordish is pissy about another district.
Doesn't just about every attendee at an event at the Tmobile Center park in a garage? I know when I go, I park in P&L garage and pay the event parking fee. When I go to the PAC, I park in the PAC garage. It's generally full on a busy night. I think more people are willing to park in garages than you think. Especially when it's obviously a public parking facility whereas many of the surface lots are far more ambiguous.
90% of the people who drive downtown to attend an event at T-Mobile park in one of the garages.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:20 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:28 pm

90% of the people who drive downtown to attend an event at T-Mobile park in one of the garages.
Do you have any stats on the the garages and how much/often they fill up? Does a sold out event sell out all the garages or is there still plenty of capacity?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think I'm doing a poor job of explaining what I mean. I'm saying that people that aren't developing now will have an even greater incentive to not develop because they'll be making more money.

In the EV I'm skeptical but we could put pressure on the single owner to have a development plan to try to avoid this.

In the crossroads you can't do this. Cordish owns two properties in the crossroads that are likely to be parking lots for the next decade. And that's one of our good developers. I'm skeptical the rest will be like oh let's build out now.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

KCUR interviewed Gov Parson. Basically said stadium plans aren’t far enough along to include any funding from the state in his budget.

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... y-ballpark
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

MO FY2025 budget won't be final until early May, fwiw. MO also has $8B sitting around ($2B to be used in current FY2025 proposal).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

bspecht wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:16 pm MO FY2025 budget won't be final until early May, fwiw. MO also has $8B sitting around ($2B to be used in current FY2025 proposal).
Damn, $8B could get us near 80 miles of rail at current per mile costs.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The current Congress is arguing over social issues and can't do anything. I wouldn't count on them to slice bread right now.

Unless things have changed since I last looked the majority doesn't have a majority.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:37 pm

I'm not sure about that. I mean around here there are just as many garages in the suburbs as surface parking in many areas. I have to park in a garage when I go to many big box stores etc. and prefer it over surface lots in most cases.

People want convenience, that's all. Now some garages are not designed for mass exits. So when I park in DC for games, concerts etc, I avoid some garages, but people learn where to park.
I think that's the problem here. Garages aren't built for mass exit so people try and avoid them. I mean I don't drive and park for anything but that's what I've picked up from friends. They ask me where to park downtown and I have literally no idea. Guess we have to rely on our suburb friends to tell us how to design our parking as we move forward
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:05 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:37 pm

I think that's the problem here. Garages aren't built for mass exit so people try and avoid them. I mean I don't drive and park for anything but that's what I've picked up from friends. They ask me where to park downtown and I have literally no idea. Guess we have to rely on our suburb friends to tell us how to design our parking as we move forward
Or like not. It just needs to be done coherently because it's hard to break habits.

My parents came down to visit me in the crossroads, and they love downtown, but he parked in surface lot because he said he didn't want to fuck with the new street parking and figure out how it worked in minus zero weather. Rather walk than fuck around.

Kci has been the same, a refusal to ticket. Give me a horn and I'll sit out there and make everyone move.

You can't change things if you design around accommodation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:19 pm I guess Resurrection just finished a big capital campaign for the downtown campus expansion and now intends to sell. How does that play for donors?
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 41906.html
Resurrection – formerly Church of the Resurrection – announced Friday that the congregation will break ground Sunday for a $2.8 million expansion of its downtown location at 1601 Grand Boulevard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hello EV!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:49 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:19 pm I guess Resurrection just finished a big capital campaign for the downtown campus expansion and now intends to sell. How does that play for donors?
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 41906.html
Resurrection – formerly Church of the Resurrection – announced Friday that the congregation will break ground Sunday for a $2.8 million expansion of its downtown location at 1601 Grand Boulevard.
2.8 million for 3800 square foot. My lord construction prices have skyrocketed out of control.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:58 amHello EV!
Was on a call yesterday about the project, no mention of east village. The church hasn’t pulled a permit or submitted plans yet as far as I know and the stadium location being along Grand was never a must have. Can someone see what permits have been secured? Breaking ground could literally mean dirt work.

The church is clearly upset they’ve not been contacted, much like others who feel left in the dark.
Last edited by DColeKC on Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

For all of the bluster earlier about how they're reaching out to people, there seems very little evidence so far.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:11 am For all of the bluster earlier about how they're reaching out to people, there seems very little evidence so far.
I didn’t say the royals were the ones reaching out….
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

So it could you be you reaching out? Cordish? My great aunt?

So far every company has said they haven't heard anything other than the star owners and cordish, who are driving this.

The royals are going to try to eminent domain a block from resurrection and they haven't even reached out to them?

Everything just smells like bs and I don't think anyone here knows anything yet.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:17 am So it could you be you reaching out? Cordish? My great aunt?

So far every company has said they haven't heard anything other than the star owners and cordish, who are driving this.

The royals are going to try to eminent domain a block from resurrection and they haven't even reached out to them?

Everything just smells like bs and I don't think anyone here knows anything yet.
Notice how the property owners say they haven’t heard anything from the royals.

I know you think I don’t know anything. You’ve been more than clear about that.

The church can add their addition without impacting the stadium site.

The star owner isn’t driving anything. He’s just looking for a payday.