Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Post by phuqueue »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:35 am Explain to me how a development that doesn't directly displace anyone will cost KCT their homes.
Why must the specific development "directly" displace someone for KCT to be concerned that it will ultimately cost them their homes? That seems like an exceptionally narrow way to look at the situation.
Beacon Hill. Mount Prospect. Every suburban development that gets infrastructure built for it (which is all of them). Every infill SFH can be built by-right without any redtape but every multi-family project has to go through an arduous approval process. Not a direct incentive but an incentive to choose to build SFH rather than something else that would build more homes that are more affordable.

But, also, my point about SFHs had literally nothing to do with incentives so not sure why that was your question. Nor do I expect them to protest every single SFH but it does seem like the process that leads to $800,000 SFHs being built would bear mentioning every once in awhile especially if they're going to protest $1,300 studios.
I didn't bring up incentives because I thought or meant to insinuate that you were talking about them, I brought them up because you asked why KCT fights some developments and not others. I kinda thought that was clear both from the context in which I was speaking (your post that I had quoted) and the rest of the paragraph I wrote around that one line that you are quoting and responding to here. Incentives make a development a much easier target, so they're one possible answer to your question. SFHs are a bad use of urban core land and are for sure a gentrification problem, but a SFH built without incentives is harder to kill than a MFH development built with them (this would also go for Beacon Hill, where -- please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't followed Beacon Hill all that closely -- the incentives have already been in place for twenty years and are not newly awarded on a case-by-case basis that KCT could more easily attack). Incentives were only one potential explanation for how KCT picks its fights, so my point in bringing them up was not to get into a whole thing about incentives specifically but that there are reasons KCT does what it does, and it's not just that they're "anti-capitalists" whose real goal is to end the private property regime (which, in any case, doesn't actually work very well either as an explanation for why they don't fight $800k SFHs).

And while I agree wholeheartedly with you about the indirect incentives that encourage SFHs and suburban development, these aren't the same thing as the incentives that apartment developers apply for and that KCT fights back against. KCT is, again, a single organization with finite resources, and they'll get a lot more mileage out of opposing public dollars for luxury apartments than fighting the infrastructure that enables the suburban development in which a disproportionate number of Kansas Citians already live. The latter is a fight they would lose, and they'd gain nothing from having fought it.
LOL, dude, my point was that they aren't throwing temper tantrums but that's how you are describing what they're doing. Did you read what I said?
Yes, and my point is that they are engaging in pretty straightforward political activism, however confounding it apparently is to many on this board, so in my view, distinguishing between calling their activism a temper tantrum and saying that what I described "sounds like a temper tantrum" amounts to splitting the finest of hairs. I don't give much weight to the fact that you disagreed with my explanation of their tactics, because your disagreement is based on your fundamental misunderstanding that they are "anti-housing." I'm not interested in engaging from a perspective untethered from reality, that they are animated not by broader concerns about the affordability of housing but just out of personal animus toward specific projects.
"What compromise has been offered to them?" ...here's a list... "No, not those. Those don't count. The kind of compromise I'm talking about is one they haven't asked for and don't want."
Considering the context in which this entire line of discussion arose, it seemed obvious to me that the kind of compromise I was talking about was one that represented a substantial step toward accomplishing their core goal, not symbolic gestures or tactical victories. A real compromise involves both sides making and receiving meaningful concessions from the other (which is to say, establishing a "housing trust fund," letting it sit empty for years, and then finally dumping a small amount of covid stimulus money into it doesn't quite cut it). Depending on your theory of KCT, they want either housing security, which they are far from achieving, or, I guess, the complete overthrow of the capitalist system (?), which they're even farther from achieving, but apparently you think they should just be satisfied with the lowest-hanging fruit they've managed to nab so far.
I agreed that the passion would evaporate if they got everything they want and they likely wouldn't continue to exist. I didn't agree that everything you want to believe about what membership thinks (based on no evidence whatsoever) is accurate, nor did I agree that the opinions and communications of leadership don't matter.
I just can't really escape the feeling that, on this particular point, you're now arguing just for the sake of arguing (I mean, it's a message board, so ultimately that's all any of us are doing, but more here than elsewhere). You didn't agree that "passion would evaporate if they got everything they want," you actually agreed that "passion would evaporate" if they didn't get everything they wanted but they got enough, which is a very key distinction given that your whole entry into this conversation was to latch onto one sentence I had written to declare that KCT are hardline anti-capitalists who would never compromise. My point having been made, I don't really have anything else to say here, but you are for some reason going more abstract with it to have some kind of argument about "membership" vs. "leadership," a distinction I've not otherwise made except for that one point that you already agreed with.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about when you refer to what I "want to believe about what membership thinks." I've made statements here and there about what I suppose the views of KCT to be, but as I have repeatedly noted, I use "KCT" to refer generally to the whole organization (encompassing both leadership and membership), and I base my guesses about their views on the documents they themselves have published (drafted, presumably, by leadership) or what I would argue are reasonable extrapolations from those documents, as well as just thinking through what a reasonable person acting as a housing activist in good faith would think about something. It has long been clear that our disagreement is rooted in your view that they are neither housing activists nor acting in good faith, not in the differences between "membership" and "leadership." I believe the views of leadership "don't matter" only in the sense that I don't care what any given individual thinks apart from what the group itself does or says. Leadership's views have already been incorporated into what the group does anyway. I made my point by describing an extreme case in which the city provides a solution that satisfies most members but not a hardline anti-capitalist whose real goal is the abolition of private property, but it has never been my position that KCT leadership is disinterested in housing security, so the clean separation between "leadership" and "membership" in that specific hypothetical is not actually important to me, as it seems to be to you. It was just meant to clearly illustrate a point. And again (again, again, again), you agreed with that point. So I don't know what the point is of this line of discussion anymore.

Man that post didn't feel that long when I was writing it, but there it is.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I genuinely want to understand- what is the reason for a provision as drastic as not being able to screen for income, prior evictions, criminal history or credit score when evaluating whether to rent to someone?

Lucas, Andrea Bough, Johnathan Duncan, Eric Bunch, Darrell Curls and Ryana Parks-Shaw are all sponsoring it. So if there’s only one more vote it’ll pass.

The article says source-of-income discrimination disproportionately impacts Black people, especially Black women with children, who hold the largest share of housing vouchers in Missouri. Which makes sense but I’m worried something like this will trigger a more surface level form of racism based on name or skin color.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

That’s outright insane. Prior evictions, criminal history, and credit score are absolutely fair considerations when leasing to somebody.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It’ll pass. No doubt about that. Someone should sue the city after this passes and get it overturned. I know what I’ve posted before: if you were evicted for failing to pay rent and left your apartment trashed and your pets behind, that’s grounds to deny you from moving into another apartment elsewhere unless someone wants to roll the dice with you.

Additionally, knowing one’s criminal background is good as well. You don’t want someone who was arrested for being part of a drug ring, sexually assaulted someone, the R word, or any other erratic behavior that could attack a less than savory crowd to the building.

Banning income checks is ridiculous as well. If you barely make any money, you could apply to live at a place like 3 Light and couldn’t check to see if you could actually afford to live there. No property owner will want to roll the dice with that one either.

KCTenants, and now the City Council, once again prove they’re clueless on the reality of situations. Next thing you know, they’ll propose rent control and the outright ban of evictions in KC, leading to property owners losing control of their own properties.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Legally I find parts of the proposal questionable. I have recently acquired two small homes I have done a little work in and rented out so I did a little looking into this.

Agreed that it seems that a ban on discrimination for source of income has been passed in other jurisdictions. That actually seems OK to me. if someone has a voucher that should be treated good as guaranteed income as long as it's for the lease term. They need to make the voucher approval process easier, however. It was kind of confusing so I didn't even bother to do it. I don't have a lot of time to research the other parts of it but that is where I think this is going to get cut way back. In a quick look I couldn't find anything coming up about other jurisdictions prohibiting refusing to rent to individuals who have past evictions etc.

This was one of the only results that came up, just about a few lawsuits still ongoing. No judgments yet.
https://www.thehousingcenter.org/past-e ... rtunities/

In my opinion, this intent is to prohibit a "blanket ban" on a person for just XYZ. E.g. if a landlord automatically rejects every person who has XYZ, then that would be against the ordinance, you at least have to consider them holistically (in theory). So a hypothetical landlord could still reject an applicant with an eviction as long as you consider their circumstances holistically. Eg. what caused you to get evicted, why won't it happen again, etc.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Kathleen Pointer, KCPS Senior Policy Strategist, is also a KC Tenants Board Member.

She is very involved and opposes virtually every major development asking for incentives. Is her dual representation of KCPS & KCT a conflict of interest and creating a misrepresentation that benefits KCT/KCPS? It seems so given the impact her statements have had on decisionmakers. One excellent example is seen in Port KC Commissioner Henok Tekeste's statement regarding the Lux Riverfront Proposal that was voted down:

Commissioner Henok Tekeste said he was “struggling” with a yes vote. “The school district is not happy, the tenant association is not happy,” he said. “What are we doing, really? Is it not what we should be doing to get the tenants, the school district and the community to be a beneficiary of this thing?”

Did Commissioner Tekeste know that the school district, and tenant association (KCT) were represented by the same person?

https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-05-16/ri ... -developer

https://kctenants.org/about

Also, the Source of Income (and much more) ban is up for a vote this Thursday, the 25th.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:24 am Kathleen Pointer, KCPS Senior Policy Strategist, is also a KC Tenants Board Member.

She is very involved and opposes virtually every major development asking for incentives. Is her dual representation of KCPS & KCT a conflict of interest and creating a misrepresentation that benefits KCT/KCPS? It seems so given the impact her statements have had on decisionmakers. One excellent example is seen in Port KC Commissioner Henok Tekeste's statement regarding the Lux Riverfront Proposal that was voted down:

Commissioner Henok Tekeste said he was “struggling” with a yes vote. “The school district is not happy, the tenant association is not happy,” he said. “What are we doing, really? Is it not what we should be doing to get the tenants, the school district and the community to be a beneficiary of this thing?”

Did Commissioner Tekeste know that the school district, and tenant association (KCT) were represented by the same person?

https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-05-16/ri ... -developer

https://kctenants.org/about

Also, the Source of Income (and much more) ban is up for a vote this Thursday, the 25th.
I would agree that this certainly has the potential to constitute a conflict of interest.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:24 am Kathleen Pointer, KCPS Senior Policy Strategist, is also a KC Tenants Board Member.

So what you're telling me is that you're going to be at every future local government meeting when incentives come up to engage on this issue directly, or will you just continue to be a keyboard warrior and spend your (seemingly ample) free time here complaining about it, but nothing more?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

swid wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:43 pm

So what you're telling me is that you're going to be at every future local government meeting when incentives come up to engage on this issue directly, or will you just continue to be a keyboard warrior and spend your (seemingly ample) free time here complaining about it, but nothing more?
What makes you think I don't already attend these meetings? :roll:
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Given that this is the Show-Me State, feel free to show your work at your leisure.

Assuming you're not just (once again) low-level trolling and actually trying to influence policy, I'd say that whatever you've been doing doesn't seem to be working.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I really wish this board would stop responding to absolutely everything written by the trolls on this site. I wish the blocking function on this site actually worked and I wasn’t forced to read 90 dcole and im2kull posts every day to keep up with this forum
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 am I really wish this board would stop responding to absolutely everything written by the trolls on this site. I wish the blocking function on this site actually worked
I don't want to call anyone out directly, but I fully support this part of your statement.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 am I really wish this board would stop responding to absolutely everything written by the trolls on this site. I wish the blocking function on this site actually worked and I wasn’t forced to read 90 dcole and im2kull posts every day to keep up with this forum
awwwwww. Sorry the forum is too active for you.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 am I really wish this board would stop responding to absolutely everything written by the trolls on this site. I wish the blocking function on this site actually worked and I wasn’t forced to read 90 dcole and im2kull posts every day to keep up with this forum
I didn't find this particular Im2kull post trollish. KC Tenants is a thread on the forum and I thought the post was relevant and he has a point.
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:41 am
I didn't find this particular Im2kull the post trollish. KC Tenants is a thread on the forum and I thought the post was relevant and he has a point.
Some people on here like to call anyone they don't agree with trolls or some other term. They don't like to see peoples opinions that differ from their own, so they wish they could block them out. Not to get too political, but KCT is a political group.

I also know that Im2kull is actively involved "IRL" on these topics and is not a troll.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

The unchecked violence of Kansas City plus the nonsense of the city's leadership as evidenced by the passage of this ordinance is the primary reason why I left KC and Missouri.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:55 am Some people on here like to call anyone they don't agree with trolls or some other term. They don't like to see peoples opinions that differ from their own, so they wish they could block them out. Not to get too political, but KCT is a political group.
I don't think it's the opinions that some forum members don't want to read. Some people like to make posts just to stir up shit, while some others are constantly blathering absolute truths when they really don't know shit. Which one are you? That is a rhetorical question, BTW.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

"Someone says something I don't like they must be silenced!"
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It’s getting borderline ridiculous.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Hopefully they'll dilute themselves and their messages enough that the city draws a line and stops paying attention aa the majority needs taken care of first and foremost.