Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:12 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:08 am One big item I haven’t heard mentioned is what will happen with the interstate. Are the Royals going to cap it all the way to Locust? How big is that South Loop Cap gonna end up being…
They would cap it from Grand to Oak, which is technically two additional blocks.Well, they would likely contribute to the overall project fund in order for it to get done, not manage or execute the project themselves.
Have they spoken to the south loop cap people yet?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Populous did sprint center too.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Please tell me they aren't considering that soulless bar mall Ballpark Village bullshit - already got it with the P&L atrium anyway so why dilute things on that front. That fills the role for small concerts, watch parties etc anyway. Street level stuff that blends in with the fabric of the surrounding area and isn't confined to indoor access please.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Rusty Irish wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:42 am Please tell me they aren't considering that soulless bar mall Ballpark Village bullshit - already got it with the P&L atrium anyway so why dilute things on that front. That fills the role for small concerts, watch parties etc anyway. Street level stuff that blends in with the fabric of the surrounding area and isn't confined to indoor access please.
Oh that place in St Louis that does 50 million dollars a year that Cardinals fans love? *I helped design it and I don't disagree with you that it feels like a mall, but they insisted it be enclosed.

No, they're not considering doing anything like that. You're right, at this location the kansas city live covered area fills that role anyway.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Let's not forget that we were facing the same scenario before building PNL and T-Mobile. Now that we've had all these years to reflect, hard to argue it wasn't worth it.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^Looks like East Village right now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

https://fox4kc.com/video/businessman-s ... e/9299912/
Everyone is talking about the stadium going on the site of the Star but that doesn’t sound at all like what the current owner is planning. If they’ve talked to them about selling, they aren’t giving the same message. They talk about the stadium going east of Oak. So, which is it?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:49 am Let's not forget that we were facing the same scenario before building PNL and T-Mobile. Now that we've had all these years to reflect, hard to argue it wasn't worth it.

Nobody is
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:49 am Let's not forget that we were facing the same scenario before building PNL and T-Mobile. Now that we've had all these years to reflect, hard to argue it wasn't worth it.

Nobody is
I've got to get off this forum. I'm really trying to offer up information and insight that no one else can, surely you understand what I mean.

There was some pushback 20 years ago with building PNL and the arena. Many people said it would ruin downtown, change the urban fabric and have a negative impact on some downtown businesses.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

DCole, do you have any idea if businesses affected by potential demolition will be offered assistance in anyway to source alternative premises?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:07 pm

Nobody is
I've got to get off this forum. I'm really trying to offer up information and insight that no one else can, surely you understand what I mean.

There was some pushback 20 years ago with building PNL and the arena. Many people said it would ruin downtown, change the urban fabric and have a negative impact on some downtown businesses.
I was living down here. Nobody was. The only concern was the level of support it was going to take but vast majority openly knew it was a lot but we needed that shot in the arm.not sure what insight I missed, my bad.

Nobody wants you to leave or given a reason you should. I've only seen a very few disrespectful comments thrown your way, almost everything is respectful. Being called old and not in touch with what others want is mean though but I'm up for it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DCole your input is highly valued here.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:18 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:07 pm

Nobody is

I was living down here. Nobody was. The only concern was the level of support it was going to take but vast majority openly knew it was a lot but we needed that shot in the arm.not sure what insight I missed, my bad.

Nobody wants you to leave or given a reason you should. I've only seen a very few disrespectful comments thrown your way, almost everything is respectful. Being called old and not in touch with what others want is mean though but I'm up for it.
+1. Redeveloping that section of downtown was anticipated back into the 80's when Stan Durwood was assembling the land. Everyone was happy when things finally started to move forward. Very analogous to East Village. If they had switched gears and tried to put it in Crossroads we would have collectively lost our minds.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:07 pm There was some pushback 20 years ago with building PNL and the arena. Many people said it would ruin downtown, change the urban fabric and have a negative impact on some downtown businesses.
Citations, please. The only pushback I remember was about whether the public involvement/incentives were worth it. Downtown was in a completely different state back then. That section of downtown then was not comparable to the blocks we're talking about in the East Crossroads now, it's comparable to East Village and the North Loop now.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Well, 20 years ago when we were approaching the public vote, I was very new in my career and was often spinning my wheels wondering when and if we’d ever get started. I remember reading comments and news articles that are no different than what I’m reading by a few in here and many in the comments sections of news articles. Not saying the two projects are apples to apples but my point of posting the photo was to show that we had to tear down existing buildings that are nearly identical in style and stature with what currently sites in EC. We had to buyout various properties, many of which had active albeit not thriving businesses located inside them.

I also agree that things have changed dramatically over the last 20 years and this is why I’m in support of the existing plan to locate the new stadium in close proximity to the cities others biggest downtown investment. We can’t mess this up and we can’t settle for 2nd place. We’ve worked too hard to get here. So I’m very happy it’s going in East Crossroads as of now. I’m confident we will look back in other 20 years and be thankful this happened.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:39 pm DCole your input is highly valued here.
Ditto

It's great to hear comments that have some relevance with regard to what the actual decision makers are thinking (unlike my own posts which are generally opinions).

In any decision as big as a downtown stadium, there are going to be significance difference opinions on the location. To me, both sites are viable but have different merits. Frankly, I think the East Crossroads location will ultimately be the more successful location and will blend into the city better but it's hard to pass up the infill possibilities of East Village and the more painless (no loss of existing business or structures) aspect of that location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:55 pm Well, 20 years ago when we were approaching the public vote, I was very new in my career and was often spinning my wheels wondering when and if we’d ever get started. I remember reading comments and news articles that are no different than what I’m reading by a few in here and many in the comments sections of news articles. Not saying the two projects are apples to apples but my point of posting the photo was to show that we had to tear down existing buildings that are nearly identical in style and stature with what currently sites in EC. We had to buyout various properties, many of which had active albeit not thriving businesses located inside them.

I also agree that things have changed dramatically over the last 20 years and this is why I’m in support of the existing plan to locate the new stadium in close proximity to the cities others biggest downtown investment. We can’t mess this up and we can’t settle for 2nd place. We’ve worked too hard to get here. So I’m very happy it’s going in East Crossroads as of now. I’m confident we will look back in other 20 years and be thankful this happened.
These two sites have no comparison. Jeez come on.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I think most of us that have deep concerns about the Crossroads location could be brought on board with the right plan, presented with transparency and confidence. Absolutely we need to see that plan before the tax extension vote. I'm no longer a voter in KC but if I still was I would have a very hard time voting yes if the team leadership has not come out with a fully transparent plan and detailed renderings before that time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm I think most of us that have deep concerns about the Crossroads location could be brought on board with the right plan, presented with transparency and confidence. Absolutely we need to see that plan before the tax extension vote. I'm no longer a voter in KC but if I still was I would have a very hard time voting yes if the team leadership has not come out with a fully transparent plan and detailed renderings before that time.
Yup. My concern is how much finalized design can we see by April
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:37 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:30 am
smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am You could build this in a way that either preserved or created new retail opportunities along Grand, maybe even one or two with a view into the stadium a la Fenway.

But also, nothing the Royals have shown so far suggests they have assembled a team that can do any of this with the kind of precision that would be required on a delicate site like this so as to not blow up the neighborhood. Similarly, KCMO lacks the planning capacity (imho) to put the right policies in place to help ensure the surrounding area doesn't become parking lots or all gameday bars.
You and I are the same. If we had a track record of something like this I may be way more agreeable.
They're working with Populous which is a key member of the team. They didn't start working with Cordish, who has extensive experience in downtown development, stadium adjacent development, neighborhood revitalization, residential, office etc until late last year. Sure, I'm the cordish guy on here but I feel had they started working with them from day one, much of the hiccups would have been avoided and we'd have highly detailed plans and renderings by now.
I agree with you. The Royals seemed to try to " go it alone" with the people in their ownership group and their network. No doubt there were some with development experience and some contacts connected to Cordish & others. But if they, like you said, would have went there first they might have avoided some of the missteps and embarrassing PR that makes them look like total buffoons so far in this process. Nothing wrong with seeking experts to help guide you & provide some consultation. Especially a group that has vast experience the past 20 yrs dealing with politics, understand funding options, incentives, etc. But we are where we are now and it seems everyone is getting focused & organized in what has so far been a "shit show" at best.