Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:35 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:06 pm As I mentioned in my drawings, the surface lots in between the long lines building and holiday Inn to the east of T-Mobile is a perfect location for parking garages. Close proximity to stadium and arena. Tucks them in to a spot that isn't heavily traveled by pedestrians.
Same logic applies for East Village.
Sure, but as much as the urbanist on here can't seem to think from a non-personal perspective. Distance matters. Convenience matters.

The walk would be twice as long to the stadium in East Village. In East Crossroads, it's a walk in the park, literally.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:24 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:00 pm But I thought baseball stadiums don't spur economic development?
Who said that?!? Baseball stadiums and all the ancillary buildings that come with them are like a giant nuclear bomb of development. You just don’t want to drop it on a neighborhood that’s already there. You get one shot to get the most synergy for your buck. Drop it in the EV and you get maximum growth return. Put it in EC you get return on top of negative return.
I agree with you. You get one shot to get the most synergy for your buck. That's why it's going in East Crossroads. It opens day one with synergy with Crossroads and PNL. East Village does not offer that opportunity. It opens day one as a stadium 3 or 4 blocks removed from all the activity.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The walk from where?

No urbsist on here is using their personal opinion, the posts I've seen are pointing out the hypocrisy in arguments that are only being applied to one site and not the other. Positive and negative.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:49 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:00 pm But I thought baseball stadiums don't spur economic development?
Who said that?!? Baseball stadiums and all the ancillary buildings that come with them are like a giant nuclear bomb of development. You just don’t want to drop it on a neighborhood that’s already there. You get one shot to get the most synergy for your buck. Drop it in the EV and you get maximum growth return. Put it in EC you get return on top of negative return.
I agree with you. You get one shot to get the most synergy for your buck. That's why it's going in East Crossroads. It opens day one with synergy with Crossroads and PNL. East Village does not offer that opportunity. It opens day one as a stadium 3 or 4 blocks removed from all the activity.
So it's going in east crossroads. Breaking news!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:49 pm I agree with you. You get one shot to get the most synergy for your buck. That's why it's going in East Crossroads. It opens day one with synergy with Crossroads and PNL. East Village does not offer that opportunity. It opens day one as a stadium 3 or 4 blocks removed from all the activity.
$1billion from the Royals for an entertainment area and other development and a new stadium and you can’t find a way to connect it to existing activity a few blocks away?!?

If this plan does go through, the city should get some kickbacks from Cordish like removal of the annual bond shortage requirement. If you build an entertainment district and then have an arena built next door and new park across the street and a baseball stadium a few blocks away and cant cover your debt, you’re absolutely inept.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:52 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:49 pm
So it's going in east crossroads. Breaking news!
That news broke a few days ago. I'm not resting easy because there's always a chance it gets mucked up. East Village is only a backup site at this point.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:47 pm The walk would be twice as long to the stadium in East Village. In East Crossroads, it's a walk in the park, literally.
"Twice as long" = 2 blocks vs 1 block
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:47 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:29 pmFirst off this is a small part of the entire crossroads, but mostly, that area is just not well developed at all. I mean I don't get the love for the area. I hate tearing things down, but geez. That area is not really urban, it's half parking lots and very few of the buildings are worth getting worked up over.
You've been around enough you should know that this isn't just about the development lines and where the actual stadium would go. The Belfrey? gone. Retro Inferno? gone. McGee Shops? gone. Record Bar. Messenger Coffee. Green Dirt. And what's left? Sitting outside at Tannin you will have the view of a giant parking garage on the corner. It probably will be turned into a sports bar anyway. That's not counting what will happen to the rest of the Crossroads. Grinder's concert lot will be too expensive not to sell. Many single story buildings will be torn down. I don't see the progress, especially when all of this has a place ready for it.
RIP Danny Edward’s BBQ. Downtown never recovered.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:57 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:49 pm I agree with you. You get one shot to get the most synergy for your buck. That's why it's going in East Crossroads. It opens day one with synergy with Crossroads and PNL. East Village does not offer that opportunity. It opens day one as a stadium 3 or 4 blocks removed from all the activity.
$1billion from the Royals for an entertainment area and other development and a new stadium and you can’t find a way to connect it to existing activity a few blocks away?!?

If this plan does go through, the city should get some kickbacks from Cordish like removal of the annual bond shortage requirement. If you build an entertainment district and then have an arena built next door and new park across the street and a baseball stadium a few blocks away and cant cover your debt, you’re absolutely inept.
Always has to come back to Cordish when talking to me doesn't it!

How exactly would you connect East Village considering there are buildings that will not be going anywhere for a few blocks to the west and an interstate to the south? I don't care how much money they have, you can't do anything to EV that makes it on par with EC as far as proximity.

Why do you think the city loves this location? The original projections assumed T-Mobile would land a full-time sports tenant. This is an opportunity to generate more tax revenue which would help decrease the burden on the city budget regarding paying those bond shortages.

Ineptitude is the city backing a totally new entertainment area 4 blocks from one they are still helping pay for that would possibly decrease the revenue generated in that existing area, thus increasing the amount of debt they have to cover.

This will bring 1.3 million people downtown each year and that's in the worst case scenario.

Some people are so eager to fill this big hole that they're willing to settle for a less than ideal result.
Last edited by DColeKC on Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:05 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:47 pm The walk would be twice as long to the stadium in East Village. In East Crossroads, it's a walk in the park, literally.
This is Kansas City, you might as well be talking about miles.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:08 pm
By that measure, Oak isn't close enough to P&L. "Might as well" put the stadium in EV.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:40 pm

By that measure, Oak isn't close enough to P&L. "Might as well" put the stadium in EV.
I'm referencing the mindset that many in this city have. You and I understand it's not a substantial difference but you and I are not the vast majority of the people who will be attending games at this stadium.

I think it's time we focus on how to make East Crossroads the best it can be.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:44 pm

I'm referencing the mindset that many in this city have. You and I understand it's not a substantial difference but you and I are not the vast majority of the people who will be attending games at this stadium.

Nah, it'll take so long to acquire the land, we've got plenty of time.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:51 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:44 pm

Nah, it'll take so long to acquire the land, we've got plenty of time.
Ok, you can continue to talk about your preference for the backup site. You don't understand that the land acquisition has started.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I just went back and looked at the official renderings the Royals put out of East Village. We are all not even talking about the right placement of the stadium. According to those renderings, the stadium would be in between 9th and 11th streets.

Please tell me how that spot is better than East Crossroads.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ I don't see how you can argue that EV has more parking. With the CR, you have downtown plus the whatever is in the crossroads. I mean hell, you could even walk from the garages and parking lots in the Crown Center area to the CR location.

You have way more parking options. I don't see why you would need more than maybe one garage for a new stadium and that would be "expensive" garage for those that want to pay.

Bottom line is parking is not an issue at either location, but the CR location is closer to more of greater downtown.

I think the EV location is probably fine too. I'm just giving my opinions on why I think the CR site is the better option. If it ends up in EV, then I would 100% get behind it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 pm ^ I don't see how you can argue that EV has more parking. With the CR, you have downtown plus the whatever is in the crossroads. I mean hell, you could even walk from the garages and parking lots in the Crown Center area to the CR location.

You have way more parking options. I don't see why you would need more than maybe one garage for a new stadium and that would be "expensive" garage for those that want to pay.

Bottom line is parking is not an issue at either location, but the CR location is closer to more of greater downtown.

I think the EV location is probably fine too. I'm just giving my opinions on why I think the CR site is the better option. If it ends up in EV, then I would 100% get behind it.
EC is closer to the street car line. Essentially anywhere along that line you can park a car legally becomes stadium parking. I could see people using the Plaza as a parking lot for games.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:46 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 pm ^ I don't see how you can argue that EV has more parking. With the CR, you have downtown plus the whatever is in the crossroads. I mean hell, you could even walk from the garages and parking lots in the Crown Center area to the CR location.

EC is closer to the street car line. Essentially anywhere along that line you can park a car legally becomes stadium parking. I could see people using the Plaza as a parking lot for games.
Absolutely.

I know Dave will not like this comment either, but I will never understand the reasoning behind the location of that little bus transit center clear over on Charlotte unless they actually didn't want it anywhere near anything. Keep it as a smaller transit center, for buses going to the east side but downtown KC still needs a proper transit center in a proper location preferably connected to the streetcar line.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:28 pm I just went back and looked at the official renderings the Royals put out of East Village. We are all not even talking about the right placement of the stadium. According to those renderings, the stadium would be in between 9th and 11th streets.

Please tell me how that spot is better than East Crossroads.

Because it's an empty lot and doesn't tear down businesses. We all don't think in terms of "steps to pbr bar".

EV helps fill out our downtown loop and makes it more dense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:50 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:46 pm

Absolutely.

I know Dave will not like this comment either, but I will never understand the reasoning behind the location of that little bus transit center clear over on Charlotte unless they actually didn't want it anywhere near anything. Keep it as a smaller transit center, for buses going to the east side but downtown KC still needs a proper transit center in a proper location preferably connected to the streetcar line.
Given this thread I have to ask what do you want to tear down for this?