Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Rusty Irish »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:46 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:02 am If it is the CrossRoads really hope the EV gets something. Another 30 yrs of vacant parking lots is not acceptable.
This is where they need to move Sporting KC. If that happens then this whole thing works *perfectly*
Agreed however I struggle to see a time in the local sports landscape where Kansas goes empty handed and doesn't have one of the three teams. They'd throw NFL type money and incentives at an MLS team if it came down to it to keep them IMO.

When is the CMP lease up?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:46 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:02 am If it is the CrossRoads really hope the EV gets something. Another 30 yrs of vacant parking lots is not acceptable.
This is where they need to move Sporting KC. If that happens then this whole thing works *perfectly*
I think the only way that Sporting moves downtown is if the Royals go to East Crossroads. I mean that location will be pretty hard to pass up for a MLS stadium even if they are happy in KCK. But it needs to happen soon or that land needs to be allowed to develop. It's not worth waiting for a decade or more for Sporting to move.

I'm telling you that once the Royals build a new stadium in the CR, you will finally see developers pushing to develop lots in the EV as long as they don't land bank it for another 15 years. Not to mention they could still develop most of EV and still have room for a future MLS stadium.

Not only will the land no longer be needed for such a large footprint development, but the land will be more ideal for residential development with all the new investment east of Grand and south of 670. Right now even if you could buy the land, it's not a great area to live in or develop. That will change with a stadium at the Star location and everything that would come with that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If only surface.lots would come from an EV site, that's what will come from the crossroads site.

My concerns continue to be we are tearing down actual development and active businesses (vs nothing at EV), and the infrastrure to move and park cars is not already at this location.

I mean I can make a mental picture of a beautiful urban stadium there but I just don't see it executing that perfectly.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

dnweava wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:43 am Wrigleyville is awesome.
Gross.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:18 am I think the only way that Sporting moves downtown is if the Royals go to East Crossroads. I mean that location will be pretty hard to pass up for a MLS stadium even if they are happy in KCK. But it needs to happen soon or that land needs to be allowed to develop. It's not worth waiting for a decade or more for Sporting to move.
Plus, there’s really no need to land bank in this city anymore. The sporting teams should just be able to pick whatever parcel they want, eminent domain it and bring the bulldozers, right? River Market, QH, Westside has great views and would make the Liberty Memorial Christmas card view! The choices are endless!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:55 am
GRID wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:18 am I think the only way that Sporting moves downtown is if the Royals go to East Crossroads. I mean that location will be pretty hard to pass up for a MLS stadium even if they are happy in KCK. But it needs to happen soon or that land needs to be allowed to develop. It's not worth waiting for a decade or more for Sporting to move.
Plus, there’s really no need to land bank in this city anymore. The sporting teams should just be able to pick whatever parcel they want, eminent domain it and bring the bulldozers, right? River Market, QH, Westside has great views and would make the Liberty Memorial Christmas card view! The choices are endless!
Talk about dramatic. Nothing has even been done yet. ED is an option that’s available to the city but 99% of this land will be bought and paid for. People will be treated and compensated fairly.

Luckily, we are talking about an area that’s going to be bulldozed at some point anyway. No one’s interested in any of the other areas you’ve referenced. Neighbors like Westside will always be smaller and mostly organically grown.

The idea that this area of East Crossroads being vibrant is pure fantasy.

I don’t see SKC moving downtown anytime soon. One of their owners keeps investing heavily in the legends area for one and secondly, they’d be looking for incentives and there’s no way the city or state could offer anything this close to a mlb deal.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I say tear down the Star building and put the stadium there instead. We don’t need that to be a fun house or whatever. Just give that land to the stadium.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 am I say tear down the Star building and put the stadium there instead. We don’t need that to be a fun house or whatever. Just give that land to the stadium.
There is zero intention to save the star press building. It would be demolished as part of the stadium plan.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We would double down on dumb to not take down the star building.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I doubt Sporting KC is going to move anytime soon. Within the next 25 years? Sure I could buy that and given the history of EV's lack of development it may be still vacant and open by then.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

SKC is running away from KCK commitments. Things are happening more than you know.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:23 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 am I say tear down the Star building and put the stadium there instead. We don’t need that to be a fun house or whatever. Just give that land to the stadium.
There is zero intention to save the star press building. It would be demolished as part of the stadium plan.
If that’s the case then how are they going to keep Oak open as a street?
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

If I was a KCMO official and SKC came asking for incentives to move, I would tell them to buzz off. Maybe in 20 years, but not now. They've only been in Wyandotte County for 13 years. They made their bed and built a stadium in the middle of nowhere after giving KCMO the runaround. That's their mistake. Now if they wanna privately fund it and the city's commitment is minimal, sure but sports teams don't seem willing to pay for their own facilities these days. That's the world we live in. That won't change unless officials push back. Good on Frank White for standing up for a better deal. It's literally his job. People that are criticizing him are blinded by their fandom.
Last edited by kcmiz on Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:00 pm SKC is running away from KCK commitments. Things are happening more than you know.
There's no secret they want to be downtown KC and more involved in the city. The problem is they'd need to privately finance almost the entire project outside of some tax deferments. Not saying that's not possible considering what we just built in St Louis. You also have to wonder if Rob Heineman would be on-board with the move as his other company continues to dump millions into the area around the CMP.

No doubt the dream would be to have a MLS soccer stadium in East Village, NWSL soccer stadium on the riverfront, MLB in East Crossroads and possible a pro team in T-Mobile one day. Would be great to see that all come alive one day.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:20 pm
I've not heard of any specific project goal to keep Oak open. The recently shared drawing that shows a smaller stadium squeezed in between Grand and Oak is very ambitious. I think you need that next block east to make it really work which may require a re-working of Oak. It could easily be bent similar to how Battery Drive winds around Truist Park in ATL.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Nothing to stop the stadium project over, but I actually really like the little office building at 1501 Oak. It's a cool example of modernist architecture. It's just so pure. Will be sad to see it go.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0955014 ... ?entry=ttu

This little terracotta beauty on Locust is really nice, too. Wonder if it would be affected?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0940568 ... ?entry=ttu
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I still need someone to explain to me why the East Crossroads site will lead to spin-off development and we won't see any demolitions for parking lots and the East Village site will level West Paseo for parking and we won't see any development. What makes these sites so different that we will see the complete opposite from a spin-off development standpoint? It really seems illogical and that people are just looking at their preferred site through rose-colored glasses and not reality.

If we're sitting here in 10 years with the East Crossroads leveled for parking and East Village having seen zero development, what will you say? Will it really matter that the baseball stadium is a few hundred feet closer to P&L?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:41 pm Nothing to stop the stadium project over, but I actually really like the little office building at 1501 Oak. It's a cool example of modernist architecture. It's just so pure. Will be sad to see it go.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0955014 ... ?entry=ttu

This little terracotta beauty on Locust is really nice, too. Wonder if it would be affected?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0940568 ... ?entry=ttu
The Locust building is excellent. Have always admired it.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:37 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:20 pm

I've not heard of any specific project goal to keep Oak open. The recently shared drawing that shows a smaller stadium squeezed in between Grand and Oak is very ambitious. I think you need that next block east to make it really work which may require a re-working of Oak. It could easily be bent similar to how Battery Drive winds around Truist Park in ATL.
They need to release their damn drawings already and pick a site before the election. I am 1,000,000% against closing Oak if that ends up being their plan.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:43 pm I still need someone to explain to me why the East Crossroads site will lead to spin-off development and we won't see any demolitions for parking lots and the East Village site will level West Paseo for parking and we won't see any development. What makes these sites so different that we will see the complete opposite from a spin-off development standpoint? It really seems illogical and that people are just looking at their preferred site through rose-colored glasses and not reality.

If we're sitting here in 10 years with the East Crossroads leveled for parking and East Village having seen zero development, what will you say? Will it really matter that the baseball stadium is a few hundred feet closer to P&L?
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but the biggest difference between East Village and East Crossroads is the fact that the stadium would be relied upon to be the catalyst to more spin-off development in East Village. In East Crossroads, it takes advantage of already existing development and becomes a part of the existing momentum we've been seeing over the last decade.

Some on this forum don't see any major difference with proximity to PNL between the two sites but it's monumental. The East Crossroads site, pending exact location could be as close as 200' or even connected via the park cap. East Village is over 1500 feet at its closest edge to edge. That's not connected at all.

As for the possibility of property owners leveling areas for parking, I guess that could happen but the Royals are going to build plenty of parking as part of their design. They need that revenue. It will be mostly garage style parking but of course, to appease the ridiculous concept of tailgating baseball, they'll need to build some smaller surface parking.