Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:10 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:44 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:39 pm

I like how this is just being thrust upon a neighborhood -- here, drink your juice it's good for you. Would you do this to the Westside or Columbus Park? What if we don't WANT to be Wrigleyville?
What if you're wildly out of touch with the business owners and investors in the crossroads? A 18,000 capacity arena on your doorstep has only helped the area but a 30,000 capacity stadium that's even more active is going to ruin the neighborhood? We're building a park to connect PNL with Crossroads for a better overall downtown. There's a way to remove an eyesore (Star Press Bldg) that will never be repurposed, clear out some under-utilized areas and older non-historic buildings while adding density and driving hundreds of thousands of visitors to the area to spend money.

I just think you're upset someone didn't call you personally to ask if this was ok.

"Business owners and investors"? Is that all you think the Crossroads is? It's a neighborhood dude. So tone deaf, as is the lid conversation.
Yeah, I spent years sitting on a local neighborhood board, I'm familiar. How many residents own their homes in the crossroads?

I don't need to advocate for the residents, you've been promising "a war" since this came about. I'm sure the residents will just absolutely hate being able to walk to a baseball game. I'm sure they'll just despise the new businesses this will bring to the area.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think the KC Biz Journal article mentioned 1 thing for me that tells the CrossRoads story. They mention that infrastructure there are the least, most likely because of the development that has taken place over the years. The EV is basically just concrete lots, so I can see that being a deal breaker, and one for every other developer. That makes me understand more why the EV has just sat there, or at least added pieces to the puzzle. The new CrossRoads sites will not be build over the highway like that rendering that people saw and got a chubby for. So I still prefer EV but it appears CrossRoads will be it.

The other things I liked about the Biz Journal article was Dave Johnson's quote of " "Honestly, what bugs me the most is the time and effort the city has spent over decades clearing and purchasing property in the East Village for a master development exactly like this," Johnson said.

He noted that's his personal opinion, not that of his association.

"And it just really feels, pardon the pun, out of left field to pick a site that has had no planning, no community engagement and no transportation planning. It's very, very scattershot."

That tells me that it's the Crossroads' because it always seems that the good intentions & handwork done by others to go one way is always ruined by CEO's & Politicians chasing the brass ring.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Man, this is going to be fucking awesome. I can’t believe they’re, for once in this town, going for the moonshot. South Loop Cap, P&L, Royals & TMobile all right there and is gonna make a constantly active city center. And I’m sure more investment will follow this area too. This is so big, going to be so exciting.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:46 pm I think the KC Biz Journal article mentioned 1 thing for me that tells the CrossRoads story. They mention that infrastructure there are the least, most likely because of the development that has taken place over the years. The EV is basically just concrete lots, so I can see that being a deal breaker, and one for every other developer. That makes me understand more why the EV has just sat there, or at least added pieces to the puzzle. The new CrossRoads sites will not be build over the highway like that rendering that people saw and got a chubby for. So I still prefer EV but it appears CrossRoads will be it.

The other things I liked about the Biz Journal article was Dave Johnson's quote of " "Honestly, what bugs me the most is the time and effort the city has spent over decades clearing and purchasing property in the East Village for a master development exactly like this," Johnson said.

He noted that's his personal opinion, not that of his association.

"And it just really feels, pardon the pun, out of left field to pick a site that has had no planning, no community engagement and no transportation planning. It's very, very scattershot."

That tells me that it's the Crossroads' because it always seems that the good intentions & handwork done by others to go one way is always ruined by CEO's & Politicians chasing the brass ring.
I doubt the stadium itself would sit over the freeway but they'd extend the cap and that portion could become the plaza and main concourse leading to the stadium. Could be truly special and unique. A multi-block urban park that on one end leads right into a baseball stadium's front door.

I had to dig, but over a year and a half ago I mentioned that the infrastructure for the star building alone could be a big cost savings, specifically for anything underground already.

I also think one important factor was the owners of the East Village site wanted to be active participants, not just simply the ones selling the land. They wanted to make money on this for years to come. With their level of experience, I don't think that was something the Royals loved.

I honestly don't know if Cordish would be involved in the actual project itself but if so, you're getting someone who has active partnerships with three MLB teams that have done very well. I think there's value in that.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Royals Review (a Royals site - that's been around for probably 10 years) has a twitter poll with 1,200+ votes at

NKC - 17.2%
East Village - 19.3%
KC Star Printing Press - 63.5%

KCDowntown
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 pm Man, this is going to be fucking awesome. I can’t believe they’re, for once in this town, going for the moonshot. South Loop Cap, P&L, Royals & TMobile all right there and is gonna make a constantly active city center. And I’m sure more investment will follow this area too. This is so big, going to be so exciting.
Downtown isn't just for the suburbanites to come and party in but whatever. Just really feels like they've decided to pander to them so they can have their night out & pretend they're living down there. Streets clogged with Ubers because no one did due diligence about scheduling multiple events.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:19 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 pm Man, this is going to be fucking awesome. I can’t believe they’re, for once in this town, going for the moonshot. South Loop Cap, P&L, Royals & TMobile all right there and is gonna make a constantly active city center. And I’m sure more investment will follow this area too. This is so big, going to be so exciting.
Downtown isn't just for the suburbanites to come and party in but whatever. Just really feels like they've decided to pander to them so they can have their night out & pretend they're living down there. Streets clogged with Ubers because no one did due diligence about scheduling multiple events.
The area around P&L being jam packed means nothing to the majority of downtown residents. If you live in quality hill, Columbus park, or anywhere more than 2 blocks from 14th/Grand you aren't even going to notice anything is going on. There have been nights I was out on a walk and downtown was like a ghost town, turn the corner and boom, 20k people leaving a big 12 basketball game I didn't even know was going on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:26 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:19 pm
The area around P&L being jam packed means nothing to the majority of downtown residents. If you live in quality hill, Columbus park, or anywhere more than 2 blocks from 14th/Grand you aren't even going to notice anything is going on. There have been nights I was out on a walk and downtown was like a ghost town, turn the corner and boom, 20k people leaving a big 12 basketball game I didn't even know was going on.
Exactly and let's not pretend downtown hasn't been executing big events for the last 15 years. Sure, some changes will need to be made but to pretend careful planning won't go into this stadium design is shortsighted. It's not in anyones best interest to make getting in, around and out of downtown more difficult.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

If I had any assurance that the Royals ownership would invest the taxpayer improvements into the quality of the team on the field I would be more open to whatever their preference may be. As it stands I have no faith that an East Crossroads stadium would improve the team and sustain attendance beyond the honeymoon phase. Maybe we can add some language regarding maintaining a competitive record and/or attendance numbers to continue their taxpayer funding? LOL I know it isn’t feasible but would be nice.

I feel this also gets the team off the hook for the “taxpayers pay a billion thru sales tax and we invest a billion of ours for surrounding developments in a partnership.” That won’t happen in the Crossroads. They won’t add any development dollars to the area. I don’t think they will in East Village either but everything else will benefit the city in the same ways in that location without the issues of pushing out businesses in favor of a minor league quality baseball team.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

droopy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm If I had any assurance that the Royals ownership would invest the taxpayer improvements into the quality of the team on the field I would be more open to whatever their preference may be. As it stands I have no faith that an East Crossroads stadium would improve the team and sustain attendance beyond the honeymoon phase.

I feel this also gets the team off the hook for the “taxpayers pay a billion thru sales tax and we invest a billion of ours for surrounding developments in a partnership.” That won’t happen in the Crossroads. They won’t add any development dollars to the area. I don’t think they will in East Village either but everything else will benefit the city in the same ways in that location without the issues of pushing out businesses in favor of a minor league quality baseball team.
They've recently shown they're willing to spend money by acquiring some veteran players and becoming MLB analyst pre-season favorite to win the division.

I agree no development will happen in EV but I'm positive it will in EC. The proximity to the park and existing vibrant areas makes the idea of building towers much more likely vs EV.

Even after the honeymoon phase, I don't see how attendance isn't better than it has been historically at the K which is near the bottom of the league.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:17 pm Royals Review (a Royals site - that's been around for probably 10 years) has a twitter poll with 1,200+ votes at

NKC - 17.2%
East Village - 19.3%

KCDowntown
Cowardly to not name the third option as the neighborhood it would destroy. Unless someone's unveiled a stadium design that's exactly the footprint of the Star building?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

neurosyphilis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:47 pm
KCDowntown wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:17 pm Royals Review (a Royals site - that's been around for probably 10 years) has a twitter poll with 1,200+ votes at

NKC - 17.2%
East Village - 19.3%

KCDowntown
Cowardly to not name the third option as the neighborhood it would destroy. Unless someone's unveiled a stadium design that's exactly the footprint of the Star building?
How do you propose they do that in a simple poll?
NKC -
East Village -
East Crossroads - Would require the demolishing of several smaller one and two story buildings, some of which are occupied, some of which are empty. Some notable business include a tire shop, U-Haul rental location, Furniture maker and a fire station.

Polls are simple and require people to go about and do their own research. I'm not sure how it's cowardly to expect that of people, even on simple little twitter polls.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm hesitant to get into this because my understanding is there is more going on than we're hearing in this thread.

I'm okay with yeeting the star building into the river.

My concern is on downtown development, and especially neighborhoods. I haven't seen anything yet, but I'm very skeptical.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:29 pm I'm hesitant to get into this because my understanding is there is more going on than we're hearing in this thread.

I'm okay with yeeting the star building into the river.

My concern is on downtown development, and especially neighborhoods. I haven't seen anything yet, but I'm very skeptical.
I’m going to lay off too. My excitement is getting the best of me. Crossroads is happening unless some major situation happens. The city is only backing one site. That said, between the city council and potential pushback from other groups this isn’t a done deal. Not until a shovel hits the ground.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Just posting this here. This is from a 2021 study for the 10.5 acre, 4 block site bound by Truman, Oak, 17th, and Grand. A stadium can tightly fit in there.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Fenway-size stadium?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

My one request is that I hope they don’t turn the entire south loop cap into a Royals park. They can have their own sliver that they helped develop there in front of T-Mobile, but don’t make the entire 670 cap a Royals theme.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:43 pm Just posting this here. This is from a 2021 study for the 10.5 acre, 4 block site bound by Truman, Oak, 17th, and Grand. A stadium can tightly fit in there.
I was thinking they are looking at going more to the East. Basically take that and shift it East with the boundary on the West being the Star Printing press building on McGee to 17th & go East.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

If it is the CrossRoads really hope the EV gets something. Another 30 yrs of vacant parking lots is not acceptable.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:02 am If it is the CrossRoads really hope the EV gets something. Another 30 yrs of vacant parking lots is not acceptable.
This is where they need to move Sporting KC. If that happens then this whole thing works *perfectly*