Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:21 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:49 pm I think you're misjudging the people involved in this project. They care deeply about the impact it will have and they want to do help make neighborhoods better.
So where's the neighborhood conversation? None of the players are involved at all.
The people in the area directly affected have been talked to. I’m sure there’s plenty more community engagement to come to hear everyone’s concerns. Perhaps not every single person, but then again no one really knows the exact location at this point.
Last edited by DColeKC on Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:20 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:20 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:42 pm "no true stake in the game" there's not much to say

We live here, this is our neighborhood. It's not a business school experiment
No true stake in the investment, site selection and success of the project. I guess sometimes you’ve gotta literally spell it out.

Your opinions as a resident are completely valid. I’m excited as a resident but understand some older, long term residents may not be. Specifically those who’ve been on here since the beginning.
Excited as a resident for what? They haven't even announced anything?
Not to the public. I’m excited but do understand this can still be defeated by various different forces.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:45 am I'd rather keep the organically grown brewery neighborhood as it is now, growing and flourishing, rather than letting it get overrun & become Wrigleyville West. That isn't what anyone in the community is asking for.
Wrigleyville is awesome. I'd take that over a bunch of equipment rental lots...
Last edited by dnweava on Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:51 am The people in the area directly affected have been talked to. Perhaps not every single person, but then again no one really knows the exact location at this point.
I don’t see how this is true. I have friends who absolutely own multiple properties in the area. There’s no building the stadium without them. They haven’t been approached and, if their neighbors aren’t lying, they haven’t been approached either. Something’s not right here.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

East Village is the safe choice that will do fine and help downtown but it’s not going to be dynamite.

Crossroads site is the gamble that could land us a top 3 park/site in the league or implode and tank the Crossroads.

But being as we are KC- we have to take the gamble site. We’re already mid size. Go for the big shot gamble, we have nothing to lose. If it hits it’ll transform downtown in a way that Grid can’t even be a massive piece of shit about anymore. That’s the way I’m judging this contest.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:55 am
DColeKC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:51 am The people in the area directly affected have been talked to. Perhaps not every single person, but then again no one really knows the exact location at this point.
I don’t see how this is true. I have friends who absolutely own multiple properties in the area. There’s no building the stadium without them. They haven’t been approached and, if their neighbors aren’t lying, they haven’t been approached either. Something’s not right here.
I’m certain every single person hasn’t been approached but many in the area were talked to about buying their property with very favorable responses. As mentioned, once this went public the prices have likely gone way up, but that’s capitalism.

The response was so good that the royals and partners felt good about proceeding.

I don’t mean to imply it’s a breeze and there won’t be hold outs. I’m almost certain that eminent domain would likely have to be used in a few rare instances.

I could have been more precise with my original comment and specified that not everyone has been approached. Keep in mind that many of these properties will be sought after even if the stadium doesn’t go there. The park project and proximity to PNL makes them highly desirable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:18 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:09 pm Without downtown, Crossroads and urban voters…. This vote fails miserably. I’m worried that is actually the plan and they’re wanting to play into the “we have downtown a chance and they voted against it, so we are moving to Kansas” narrative. Honestly, I’d take that over having the Crossroads bulldozed.
I think the anti-crossroads stadium people on this forum is way out of touch with reality. The thousands of people who have moved downtown over the last decade want these types of entertainment options within walking distance. They moved downtown to be in the thick of it. They'll support a downtown stadium. The older residents who were here prior to 15 years ago of course are going to be the ones opposed. How many times have we seen this same story play out all over the country. "Don't be coming in here, changing my neighborhood, I don't care if it's best for the city and neighborhood, I like it how it is!"

This area of the crossroads will be bulldozed at some point over the next few decades, this is only speeding that up. I truly don't understand the attachment to this specific area.
Good God how misguided can one person be on the downtown resident that have been here before power and light opened. We are the ones who have begged things to get downtown and rebuild our neighborhood with open arms. That doesn't mean we accept all suitors. It means we want these new developments to respect the neighborhood and ripping out a growing east crossroads isn't that.

I've already posted how I'd be working to make the crossroads site better if it is selected versus just say no. Dcole already has stereotyped us though as the common suburb nimby. Wow, pretty sad and hopefully not at all a reflection of the others he claims to have connections with in this matter.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Yes, some are nimby. One person has said they’d rather it go to johnson county Vs EC. Dave has said he is 100% opposed and even wants to keep the star building.

These are clearly my opinions and have no official affiliation whatsoever with anyone directly involved in the project. They’re far more amenable than I am.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

There's so much wrong with this whole process:

-Land banking: When property owners like those that own East Village have to consolidate, tear down and hold parcels for decades they expect a big return for that effort and the time. It destroys the fabric of the city while making buying and tearing down MORE parcels like EC cost-equal.

-Development push: That a sports team could even give lip-service to tearing down the East Crossroads really means that no property is safe no matter how historic, useful or vibrant it is. Moving forward with EC would set a terrible precedent for future sports builds that want to be in the urban core.

-Tax overreach: It's crazy that before the sales tax we approved for renovations is even near finished we are already talking about extending even further AND there is talk about the city kicking in additional tax money. There comes a point, it's likely very close, where the tax burden will be a deterrent to new business, residents and city growth. A lot of people are giving Frank White a hard time about the negotiations, but you have to credit him for at least attempting to get a better deal for residents.

-Development-by-view: I really hate how this city develops anything downtown based on the view from the Liberty Memorial. It's like if you're not in that standard picture you might as well not even be downtown. People need to get out more where they see the skyline of downtown from other places. It's beautiful from all angles.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Sam McDowell (KC star sports reporter) just tweeted out he’s got multiple sources saying the Royals are focused on the Crossroads site.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:21 am There's so much wrong with this whole process:

-Land banking: When property owners like those that own East Village have to consolidate, tear down and hold parcels for decades they expect a big return for that effort and the time. It destroys the fabric of the city while making buying and tearing down MORE parcels like EC cost-equal.

-Development push: That a sports team could even give lip-service to tearing down the East Crossroads really means that no property is safe no matter how historic, useful or vibrant it is. Moving forward with EC would set a terrible precedent for future sports builds that want to be in the urban core.

-Tax overreach: It's crazy that before the sales tax we approved for renovations is even near finished we are already talking about extending even further AND there is talk about the city kicking in additional tax money. There comes a point, it's likely very close, where the tax burden will be a deterrent to new business, residents and city growth. A lot of people are giving Frank White a hard time about the negotiations, but you have to credit him for at least attempting to get a better deal for residents.

-Development-by-view: I really hate how this city develops anything downtown based on the view from the Liberty Memorial. It's like if you're not in that standard picture you might as well not even be downtown. People need to get out more where they see the skyline of downtown from other places. It's beautiful from all angles.
Land Banking: I agree with you here 100%. This is why I see no problems with areas being utilized up until someone comes along and wants to but them. Assuming most everyone will come out ahead, it's a far better option than people buying up and sitting on lots for decades.

Development Push: I think most property is safe but we're looking at a once in a life-time development opportunity here. When left to opinions alone, of course we are all going to disagree on if the area they're looking at in the Crossroads is worthy of keeping the same of if a stadium would be better for the area. However, when you put it to math there's no competition. Not everything should be decided by the numbers but it's relevant. There's nothing historic in this area and unless my definition of "vibrant" is wildly off, this area is far from that. It's a ghost town more than a boom town.

Taxes: The teams already agreed to major changes that will save the country hundreds of millions over the span of the deal. They're willing to step up to make the deal more beneficial for the taxpayers.

Development by view: Agree with you here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:11 am Yes, some are nimby. One person has said they’d rather it go to johnson county Vs EC. Dave has said he is 100% opposed and even wants to keep the star building.

These are clearly my opinions and have no official affiliation whatsoever with anyone directly involved in the project. They’re far more amenable than I am.
Please don't over generalize a huge population of us. nothing posted here deserves it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:26 am Sam McDowell (KC star sports reporter) just tweeted out he’s got multiple sources saying the Royals are focused on the Crossroads site.
I mean I'd believe it. EV is a known comody and already been reviewed fully by them already. Doesn't mean it's their preference.

A little community outreach if it is their preference would go a long way.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:21 am There's so much wrong with this whole process:

Land banking is a risky strategy because it doesn't make sense once a project has been announced (the land becomes too expensive). If DCole is correct and the Royals have more or less arrived at the East Crossroads location and those plans are ultimately brought to fruition, it's a losing strategy. One of the biggest miscalculations in KC's history. I am surprised we are not hearing more noise from the group that owns the East Village properties.

The one thing I do not understand is that Sherman has stated that he wanted an entertainment district that the Royals ownership group would own, around a new ballpark. The East Crossroads site does not really allow for that and it's very proximal to the bars/restaurants in both the Crossroads and P&L District.

It seems that the goals of the project are changing as much as the locations.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:11 am Yes, some are nimby. One person has said they’d rather it go to johnson county Vs EC. Dave has said he is 100% opposed and even wants to keep the star building.

Please don't over generalize a huge population of us. nothing posted here deserves it
Well listen, I apologize if you think I was tossing everyone into the same pot of nimby. I'm just referring to a few comments on here that have flat out implied they want a downtown baseball stadium, but in their neighborhood and they'd be ok with it going far away from downtown before allowing it to happen in their neighborhood. Those are the comments and people I'm talking about directly, I think it's great that if this happens you'll at least support it while being vocal about your concerns.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:38 am
Development Push: I think most property is safe but we're looking at a once in a life-time development opportunity here. When left to opinions alone, of course we are all going to disagree on if the area they're looking at in the Crossroads is worthy of keeping the same of if a stadium would be better for the area. However, when you put it to math there's no competition. Not everything should be decided by the numbers but it's relevant. There's nothing historic in this area and unless my definition of "vibrant" is wildly off, this area is far from that. It's a ghost town more than a boom town.
We keep talking about the "area". It would be nice to know what that area is? Since you seem to at least be in contact with some of those who are pushing the East Crossroads location, would it be possible to give the bounding streets for what would have to be torn down?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:57 pm

Well listen, I apologize if you think I was tossing everyone into the same pot of nimby. I'm just referring to a few comments on here that have flat out implied they want a downtown baseball stadium, but in their neighborhood and they'd be ok with it going far away from downtown before allowing it to happen in their neighborhood. Those are the comments and people I'm talking about directly, I think it's great that if this happens you'll at least support it while being vocal about your concerns.
It's laughable to think EV is far way from downtown.

I live downtown but not in either neighborhood but I consider the entire downtown something I want to protect and see grow responsibly. Not throwing event centers just wherever without planning. That's what east crossroads site feels like.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:17 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:57 pm

It's laughable to think EV is far way from downtown.

I live downtown but not in either neighborhood but I consider the entire downtown something I want to protect and see grow responsibly. Not throwing event centers just wherever without planning. That's what east crossroads site feels like.
I didn't say EV is far from downtown. The comments I'm referring to said they'd rather the stadium go to Johnson Country than East Village.

I do live in one of these neighborhoods and I do care. If throwing event centers in the crossroads wherever without planning grinds your gears, why haven't you been speaking up over the last 15 years? Because I'd say that the Crossroads has more "event centers" per square mile than any other part of the city and it's not even close.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:38 am
We keep talking about the "area". It would be nice to know what that area is? Since you seem to at least be in contact with some of those who are pushing the East Crossroads location, would it be possible to give the bounding streets for what would have to be torn down?
I'm not going to give specifics, I'll let that come out when they start to make announcements. I know there are trying to wrap those details up.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

The East Crossroads plan is impossible to bring to fruition. It just won’t happen. I think this is why the EV people are standing firm on their price. They know it is an impossibility and after it blows up, they think their land will be worth even more. First, there will be significant pushback from the Crossroads businesses. This will be picked up by the news as, “even the people DT don’t want the stadium DT”. Next, it looks like they’re going to ask for both a county tax extension AND a city tax. I don’t see those passing. The numbers are so close anyway. Again, it will take YEARS to assemble the land though acquisition and eminent domain. Owners will tie it up in court. Then, you have to even put a plan in place that has to take into account the highway trench and major roads.

If we’re going to tear down buildings, I still don’t understand why we didn’t look at North Loop. It was the original location and requires tearing down just one ugly building. It’s on the streetcar line and would have good highway access. Would also push along North Loop highway removal to connect to River Market. East Crossroads is the worst of all the locations. NKC even makes more sense.