Neighborhoods left behind

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Neighborhoods left behind

Post by Belvidere »

I want to talk about Kansas City strategies for development that rely on trickle down economics and are not benefiting neighborhoods. This relates to the downtown baseball stadium discussion.

Columbus Park is not doing well, although that might change in the next 5 years. It remains to be seen. Paseo West is struggling. Speculation is a deep policy problem. So is the consolidation of vulnerable people in one area.

17 percent of the arson cases in the last couple of years occured in 4 neighborhoods in the Historic Northeast.

The Paseo Gateway project has gone very slowly, but is a tangible investment in a disinvested area. The city has yet to issue the RFP for the old Chouteau Courts property and we do not know why there is no commitment or sense of urgency. I am concerned they will drop the ball entirely or reverse the progress of Paseo Gateway.

The city has indicated they wish to put KC's new large low barrier shelter at 7th and Virginia, despite the fact that location is at the nexus of highest concentration of public housing and against the goals of the Choice Neighborhoods effort. It is near the Jazz Hill development. There was no public engagement requirement for that RFP. This area needs hope and investment to balance out the service. The city needs multiple low barrier shelters, not one large one in an area that is already stressed. They have completely dismissed neighborhood concerns about unintended consequences.

Refugee services are also concentrated at the Northeast and I expect them to expand in the next year. This adds to the vibrancy of the community, but also stresses it, because it's another group of people who are likely to be traumatized and have long-term needs the community needs to support. There are services for sobriety, sex trafficking victims, seniors, hunger, etc. siloed in an area that is seeing little investment.

It's very difficult to have any kind of political voice in this town if you don't have the right zip code.

It feels like everything is siloed. The corporate agenda. The service provider missions. That's not how communities work. Communities are horizontal and interwoven. You shouldn't have to be a destination to get help and attention, but that's what's happening. The East Village is an exercise in speculation and is empty on purpose. They've been holding this entire area back for decades for this moment.

Does the downtown stadium mean the North Loop will never be decommissioned? Will that mistake ever be corrected? When are we going to accept that what attracts people to the urban core are vibrant neighborhoods?

Trickle down economics is not working unless you are really close. It certainly has not trickled out.