Reddit

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Reddit

Post by phuqueue »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:43 pm Twitter/X, like Reddit, will continue being a massively used social media platform despite the rise of copycats. When others require you to have a code to join and others are tailored to folks of specific political leanings, most will just stick to the existing. They're familiar, people know how to use them, and usage remains high.
I doubt that Bluesky will always require a code to join. These things are just always gatekept early on in the launch to control the total number of users. Even Gmail was once invite-only. That being said, it's tough to take down an incumbent (though Elon seems to be going out of his way to make it as easy as possible for somebody to take down Twitter).
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Twitter has seen a mass exodus in even just simple daily users. Advertisers are still skittish all these months later. And it doesn't even take into account that certain features work & then don't work at any time of the day.

Musk has the site in a slow death march. Once one of the big brands decides which platform to make the hop to, it might start a massive commercial exodus.

Edit: Got mine here so might as well give back.

*used
Last edited by TheSmokinPun on Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Twitter will be Friendster in 10 years--maybe 5-years. Someone is going to take advantage of Elon's hubris and build a Twitter replacement. Many of the thought leaders who have made Twitter a viable town square are migrating or want to go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendster
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Reddit is full of nasty people especially the KC one. Really embarrassing to our city.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Metro wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:46 pm Reddit The Internet is full of nasty people especially the KC one. Really embarrassing to our city for mankind.
FTFY
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 pm
Metro wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:46 pm Reddit The Internet is full of nasty people especially the KC one. Really embarrassing to our city for mankind.
FTFY
You would be hard press to find a place on the internet that represent KC that hates development, Republicans, and small business the way they do. That fourm is an absolute cesspool of deplorable people
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

RIP Twitter. X is such a stupid name, I think it should be rebranded MuskSpace.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mean wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:48 am RIP Twitter. X is such a stupid name, I think it should be rebranded MuskSpace.
Urbanist twitter is still heavily trafficked, and hasn’t lost many important characters. The only one with any heavy following was NJB, but his “give up on NA” tirade a while back has all but lost his following in the US, so not a big loss :lol:
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

mean wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:48 am RIP Twitter. X is such a stupid name, I think it should be rebranded MuskSpace.
I enjoyed this well thought and reasoned comment. Thank you Mean.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I thought it was funny, but then I think the guy is even more of a joke than his soon-to-be wannabe myspace.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

mean wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:38 pm I thought it was funny, but then I think the guy is even more of a joke than his soon-to-be wannabe myspace.
If I recall, the entire point of the purchase was originally to destroy and tear down Twitter. So.. worst case.. mission success.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:43 pm
mean wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:38 pm I thought it was funny, but then I think the guy is even more of a joke than his soon-to-be wannabe myspace.
If I recall, the entire point of the purchase was originally to destroy and tear down Twitter. So.. worst case.. mission success.
Exactly. He thought it was doing more harm than good and has the money to let it fail. Not implying he wouldn't prefer to get it back up in value but he's always talked about the greater good of humanity. I'm sure some in here and many around the world think that's bullshit.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

bsky-social-fifrw-ehyrr
bsky-social-gm3tu-hkksj
bsky-social-egiqb-qooah
bsky-social-v2h2x-dpnok
bsky-social-co5ju-suypz
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Um, no, he said he would make it profitable. In... <looks at watch> like six months from now. Destroying twitter for the greater good of humanity would, indeed, be a noble if misguided cause, but anyone who believes that was the reason for the acquisition, or that it was done out of benevolence (and not greed and hubris, followed by attempting to back out when he realized it was a task he was not up to, and then ended up not having a choice so he hired a CEO to blame when it all went to shit) is more delusional than Elon Musk.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Grovester, thanks for the codes. I finally got in!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:16 pm Grovester, thanks for the codes. I finally got in!
Great, I'll look for you!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:00 pm Um, no, he said he would make it profitable. In... <looks at watch> like six months from now. Destroying twitter for the greater good of humanity would, indeed, be a noble if misguided cause, but anyone who believes that was the reason for the acquisition, or that it was done out of benevolence (and not greed and hubris, followed by attempting to back out when he realized it was a task he was not up to, and then ended up not having a choice so he hired a CEO to blame when it all went to shit) is more delusional than Elon Musk.
I'll gladly be delusional if I can own Tesla, Space-X, (X) and still have billions in the bank! Sign me up!

I think he thought he could improve twitter and make it profitable, but he also knew going in it wasn't actually making any money. I also think he sees it as money well spent even if it ceases to exist. I'm curious to see any financial data after the start of the new year. The valuation is what's taken a massive hit along with advertiser revenue but he's made massive cost cuts and introduced some new revenue streams. Twitter only ever made a profit in the 16 years prior to him buying it. It could end up making a profit but still being massively down in it's valuation.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Oh god, of course. I, uh, would rather be attached to reality and NOT be a real-world supervillain caricature with world-altering wealth. But now I think I understand you better, thanks.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

bsky-social-gm3tu-hkksj
bsky-social-egiqb-qooah
bsky-social-v2h2x-dpnok
bsky-social-drm5w-pznpa
bsky-social-suuiv-kneet