UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: UMKC projects

Post by phuqueue »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:27 pm Foot, bike and public transit will never be the quickest except in one condition….gridlock, and that’s only when there’s an off-street subway-type option. Even then, waiting for train, transferring once or twice and walking to your destination is almost always slower. The idea that you can jump in a vehicle and take any road to get to your destination is super efficient, when time is your main factor. Even your European model of rapidly limiting traffic shows that the only way to slow car growth is to force it. So, you have to force dense build construction causing the gridlock that pushes people towards transit. This is basically the goal of road diets. You create gridlock to push people to alternatives. But, many times you don’t have to diet to get the increased traffic you desire. Hence, the expample of Brookside. Increased traffic also causes slower speeds because the spaces between are less causing more caution. Solves the driving speed danger and less expensive than totally redoing miles of a road.
Foot, bike, and transit don’t have to be quickest to be the best or most convenient overall way to get around. If you were freed of the burden of having to own a car in the first place, in fact, any of them would be better by default. Your contention that people will always choose to drive unless another mode is faster is plainly refuted by basically every major first world city outside of North America. You apparently view those cities as “forcing” people not to drive (by having built environments that predate cars by hundreds of years and aren’t designed to accommodate them, or by passing on the costs of driving to the actual drivers, or by whatever other means, though for most people the answer is really just by making it feasible for them not to even have a car), but designing a city so that “you can jump in a vehicle and take any road to get to your destination” is as much a policy choice as closing a section of the city to cars. There is no neutral here, every policy choice “forces” people into decisions they might not make under a different set of circumstances (I suspect most Amsterdammers would buy a car if they lived in Houston). Most people in KC (and throughout the US) are forced into cars thanks to decades of policy choices favoring automobility and denigrating all other modes. And for what? What exactly makes the car “super efficient”? Just the speed with which you can (theoretically) get from point A to point B (provided your journey is fully contained within a place built to accommodate it)? That seems like an exceptionally narrow view of “efficiency” that ignores both the externalities that your car journey imposes on society at large (e.g., a bus carrying 20 people is far more energy efficient that 20 cars carrying lone individuals) and its opportunity costs to you (e.g., if you take public transit, you can focus on some other task during your commute time instead of driving; if you bike, you can skip the gym).

I don’t want to create gridlock. It’s not my goal to increase traffic. I want exactly the opposite of that, fewer cars on the road. I don’t know that I believe gridlock breeds “more caution.” Drivers don’t slow down in gridlock because they are behaving more carefully around other cars, they slow down in gridlock because they have no other choice. And although it’s true that gridlock does slow cars down, it doesn’t address (and in fact exacerbates) their other issues, like noise and pollution. The aggregate cost of, say, additional cases of asthma (to choose just one thing caused by car traffic) is certainly less visible than the cost of re-engineering the road, but I’m not sure it is cheaper. And in the end, I’m not really clear on what the advantages of more traffic over redesign are actually meant to be, except for this specious guess that it’s cheaper, and maybe a vague opposition to “forcing” people to act against what is presumed to be their basic nature.
What transit isn’t subsidized though? I suppose if financial concerns were the primary focus, walking and biking would the clear winner. They also allow anywhere travel though, in most cases, would take more time and would be less accessible to the elderly or those with physical difficulties and are more difficult in bad weather.
In America, I would guess that all transit is subsidized. But this isn’t a binary “subsidy? Y/N” question. Transit receives basic subsidies sufficient to keep it operating, but not necessarily operating at a level that makes it viable for people to rely on day to day in lieu of a car. Cars receive subsidies that actually induce people to use them, in the form of “free” roads, abundant parking, cheap gas, etc. People are also induced to drive by the pathetic state of transit and the hostility of our roads and built environment to biking and walking.

Cars are not necessarily better for the elderly or for people with disabilities either. These vulnerable populations are the people who benefit most from robust and accessible public transit (and, for whatever it’s worth, when I lived in the Netherlands I saw elderly people biking in rain and snow all the time). That obviously doesn’t really exist in KC at this point, or in most American cities, but clogging the streets with more traffic doesn’t help them either. And in a city like KC, where transit exclusively comprises buses and an at-grade streetcar, traffic isn’t exactly a recipe for better transit (in the case of Brookside specifically, the streetcar could have its own ROW, but that isn’t happening any time soon).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I appreciate your thoughtful comments and desire to see a change in how we travel on a daily basis in this country. My response to it would probably come across as defeatist and cynical and that’s probably not helpful. How do you change a city like ours that’s 10x as big in size area and 10x smaller in population into something like Antwerp or Haarlem? I really don’t know. But, again, I appreciate your comments. Definitely time to get this back to UMKC talk. I’ll follow in the bike thread if you want to move over there.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Yeah I get carried away by my hatred for cars in urban spaces. There is no quick fix for changing a city like KC (it took KC years to become the way it is and will take years to fix it), but to get away from the broad conversation about car culture in general and back to talking specifically about Brookside, the city could implement traffic-calming interventions, some of which have already been brought up in this thread, like reducing traffic lanes or adding speed bumps (you don't typically see speed bumps on busy arterials, but it would be good if Brookside were not a busy arterial). Slowing traffic at unsignaled intersections (by adding signals, roundabouts, etc) would also help, plus would create opportunities to add crosswalks to make it easier/safer for pedestrians to cross Brookside at more frequent intervals.

If you make Brookside slower/less convenient to drive on (whether with these or other measures, there's a whole traffic-calming toolkit out there and these are just a couple options), you might be able to convert some of the local traffic to foot/bike on the trail in pretty short order. Speaking anecdotally about the area, though not Brookside Blvd in particular, I grew up over there and trips of even the few blocks over to the shops along 63rd St were usually just driven (as we got older and could drive ourselves, sometimes these trips would even be driven with multiple cars, so if people were going separate ways afterward, we could all save ourselves the crushing inconvenience of the ten minute walk/three minute drive home first). Maybe we would have walked if driving had been more of a pain in the ass, but with big streets and abundant parking, it was not. Unfortunately, until KC provides better options for getting around the city without a car, non-local trips would probably just get displaced to other streets that drivers find more amenable to their lead feet, but converting this totally unnecessary local traffic would still be a good start, and slowing/reducing traffic on Brookside would help with the issue that was originally highlighted a few pages ago of frequent crashes at 51st St. (and to go back to the broad conversation about car culture, if you make interventions like these on streets across the city and couple them with better transit and ped/bike infrastructure, you eventually end up with a city that actually works, but obviously, that's easier said than done and none of it can happen overnight)
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Thursday, September 7, 2023: Governor Parson to ceremonially sign SB 106 and HB 10 on UMKC Campus
  • When: 3:00 - 3:45 p.m.
  • Where: Bloch Executive Hall (Room 413)

5110 Cherry Street, Kansas City, MO 64113
  • Media: Open
HB 10: $300 million for the condtruction of a 200 bed mental hospital on Hospital Hill.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FY 2024 Projects:

Olsson PAC: $30 million expansion/renovation.
Student Housing P3 Expected price tag of $45 Million.
. New Student Housing, UMKC
This project would construct a new 500 bed student housing facility, primarily focused on undergraduate students utilizing suite style and community living style configurations as recommended by the Master Plan. It is anticipated that the project will be developed through a public private partnership model (P3).
The on-campus living experience has been a key recruitment driver for undergraduate enrollment growth at UMKC since 2005. As UMKC’s on-campus housing capacity grew from about 360 to almost 1,500 beds, undergraduate enrollment increased about 20% from 6,813 students in Spring 2006 to 8,233 students in Fall 2017. The diversity of housing options allows students at all levels to extend their on-campus experience. UMKC desires to continue to grow their on campus living capacity as a strategic means of continued enrollment growth.
Housing on the UMKC Volker campus currently consists of the 559 bed Oak Street Residence Hall and the 329 bed Herman and Dorothy Johnson Residence Hall. Both of these buildings provide suite style living and predominately house undergraduate students. Housing on the UMKC Health Sciences District at Hospital Hill has 243 beds in the Hospital Hill Apartments.
Funding Strategy
The $45,000,000 project will be financed and developed using a P3 model.
https://collaborate.umsystem.edu/sites/ ... 20Plan.pdf
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^Maybe Missouri should simply underwrite the re-build of Twin Oaks "Two Dot O" and be done with it.

Then it would be a race with Mission Gateway to see how many iterations of the same construction function (retail versus housing) could be built, demolished, and rebuilt on the same land within living memory. LOL.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:13 am ^Maybe Missouri should simply underwrite the re-build of Twin Oaks "Two Dot O" and be done with it.

Then it would be a race with Mission Gateway to see how many iterations of the same construction function (retail versus housing) could be built, demolished, and rebuilt on the same land within living memory. LOL.
Both cursed.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:13 am ^Maybe Missouri should simply underwrite the re-build of Twin Oaks "Two Dot O" and be done with it.

UMKC already issued an RFP for the arena. IIRC, the student housing is attached to that
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

langosta wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:43 am Thursday, September 7, 2023: Governor Parson to ceremonially sign SB 106 and HB 10 on UMKC Campus

HB 10: $300 million for the condtruction of a 200 bed mental hospital on Hospital Hill.
I must of missed the mental hospital information. That is actually huge.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_Ari wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:00 pm
langosta wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:43 am Thursday, September 7, 2023: Governor Parson to ceremonially sign SB 106 and HB 10 on UMKC Campus

I must of missed the mental hospital information. That is actually huge.
Yeah it is. That will be a pretty good sized building and is also a huge social services investment for KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Higher Cost Estimates Pause UMKC Arena Proposal at 51st and Brookside
UMKC’s proposal for a 5,000 seat arena at a campus site by the south terminus of the Main Street streetcar extension has been paused until spring because of higher than anticipated costs.

Officials said responses came in higher than expected based on the specifications in a request for proposals (RFP) issued last spring and higher than anticipated project costs, according to a statement by UMKC.
Sean Reeder, vice chancellor of Finance and Administration, said the university isn’t tabling the project. It is pausing the development process to revise the parameters for the proposed development, according to the release.
Based on current specifications, an analysis of the proposals showed that the proposed private development included in the plans wouldn’t generate enough revenue to cover project costs, Reeder said.
https://cityscenekc.com/higher-cost-est ... tbz4oLgZ7c
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC is conducting a feasibility study for the proposed arena and will re-evaluate the opportunity for private development and non-university uses of the available land given current and anticipated market conditions, according to the release.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

UMKC is seeking proposals for the Epperson House. Hope to see it restored back to life!

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/br ... rson-house
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:36 pm Higher Cost Estimates Pause UMKC Arena Proposal at 51st and Brookside
UMKC’s proposal for a 5,000 seat arena at a campus site by the south terminus of the Main Street streetcar extension has been paused until spring because of higher than anticipated costs.

Officials said responses came in higher than expected based on the specifications in a request for proposals (RFP) issued last spring and higher than anticipated project costs, according to a statement by UMKC.
Sean Reeder, vice chancellor of Finance and Administration, said the university isn’t tabling the project. It is pausing the development process to revise the parameters for the proposed development, according to the release.
Based on current specifications, an analysis of the proposals showed that the proposed private development included in the plans wouldn’t generate enough revenue to cover project costs, Reeder said.
https://cityscenekc.com/higher-cost-est ... tbz4oLgZ7c
Aw this doesn't sound good. Was a really cool idea.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Did 51 Oak Whoke Food Apartment's get a tax incentive? Or no taxes as it’s UMKC owned land?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Don't believe so, it paid $500K in property tax last year. 0% interest rates helped.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

bspecht wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:22 pm Don't believe so, it paid $500K in property tax last year. 0% interest rates helped.
Where are you seeing that? Jackson and KC websites show me 100% exempt but don’t say if it’s because of an incentive or because of property owner. I also see a CID in place.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

langosta wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:52 pm
bspecht wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:22 pm Don't believe so, it paid $500K in property tax last year. 0% interest rates helped.
Where are you seeing that? Jackson and KC websites show me 100% exempt but don’t say if it’s because of an incentive or because of property owner. I also see a CID in place.
It's a parcel inside a parcel. Can look it up on JaxCo. Parcel #: 30-820-01-07-02-0-00-000