Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by moderne »

Discussion of another site that was previously eliminated is just turning off lots of perspective voters that are already "iffy" on the whole issue of stadium replacement and public financing.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

droopy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:52 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:08 am You'll hear a Kansas play very soon.
Already started. Fescoe on 610 sports was saying this morning that an anonymous stadium insider told him people need to stop thinking about this as a Royals only deal and you can’t separate out the Chiefs. If the Royals stay at Kaufman the Chiefs will look to move to Kansas. This was the best way I could find to link the section. It’s Part 11 at about 9:12 this morning. https://www.audacy.com/stations/610spor ... Id=101-892

Seems like posturing and talk radio chatter more than anything but Kansas is already getting thrown out there as a scare tactic.
Fescoe has been a joke for years & even other hosts on the station make fun of him for lying & having the worst reads of all time. Take nothing he says seriously, they're just waiting out his contract.

Also thinking about the park next door over the freeway & Cordish having a hand of control in that. Basically want to go OCP on KC & I'm not fine with that.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

moderne wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:26 pm Discussion of another site that was previously eliminated is just turning off lots of perspective voters that are already "iffy" on the whole issue of stadium replacement and public financing.
I also think they lose a good portion of the urban/progressive vote, that would otherwise be for a downtown stadium, due to destruction of existing urban fabric.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:24 pm The Chiefs president casually said Kansas is an option months ago but Clark reeled that back a bit.

I’ve not heard a single mention of Kansas for the royals as that would be completely different than the stated goal of downtown baseball.
The owners of both teams are simply telling the metro and Jackson County that the status quo is not in either of their long term plans and will not work for them.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:38 pm
droopy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:52 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:08 am You'll hear a Kansas play very soon.
Already started. Fescoe on 610 sports was saying this morning that an anonymous stadium insider told him people need to stop thinking about this as a Royals only deal and you can’t separate out the Chiefs. If the Royals stay at Kaufman the Chiefs will look to move to Kansas. This was the best way I could find to link the section. It’s Part 11 at about 9:12 this morning. https://www.audacy.com/stations/610spor ... Id=101-892

Seems like posturing and talk radio chatter more than anything but Kansas is already getting thrown out there as a scare tactic.
Fescoe has been a joke for years & even other hosts on the station make fun of him for lying & having the worst reads of all time. Take nothing he says seriously, they're just waiting out his contract.

Also thinking about the park next door over the freeway & Cordish having a hand of control in that. Basically want to go OCP on KC & I'm not fine with that.
I'm not understanding the second portion of this?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:25 pm Putting this stadium at the Star Press site reduces overall costs.

Is the hold up demolishing existing (but not thriving) businesses or is it the fact that crossroads enthusiasts are clinging to the idea that the area isn't "corporate"?
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:48 am If some of the park project funding can come from this stadiums construction budget, it checks another box. I think the money needed to build the support structure over the interstate would have to come from the royals.
So, we've gone from the Crossroads site will save money even if we have to sacrifice a bunch of small local businesses to the Crossroads site will be half-built elevated over a highway and pay for some of the cap park and have minimal impact to local businesses in a day. And, this guy says he knows stuff?

Funny reading the last couple of days of posts in one sitting.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:44 pm
moderne wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:26 pm Discussion of another site that was previously eliminated is just turning off lots of perspective voters that are already "iffy" on the whole issue of stadium replacement and public financing.
I also think they lose a good portion of the urban/progressive vote, that would otherwise be for a downtown stadium, due to destruction of existing urban fabric.
Not going to avoid the inevitable. If a stadium doesn't go downtown, the sections of property in the crossroads that will border the park will be developed at some point in the next decade. The park along with other downtown developments will no doubt change the existing urban fabric, that's just natural evolution of progress. I'll keep saying this but we're talking about 5% of the land in crossroads being utilized for a baseball stadium. I'm sure people were opposed to PNL before is was built out of fear it would change the urban fabric of the crossroads and no one can reasonably argue that PNL hasn't been a massive positive for the Crossroads.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:32 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:25 pm Putting this stadium at the Star Press site reduces overall costs.

Is the hold up demolishing existing (but not thriving) businesses or is it the fact that crossroads enthusiasts are clinging to the idea that the area isn't "corporate"?
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:48 am If some of the park project funding can come from this stadiums construction budget, it checks another box. I think the money needed to build the support structure over the interstate would have to come from the royals.
So, we've gone from the Crossroads site will save money even if we have to sacrifice a bunch of small local businesses to the Crossroads site will be half-built elevated over a highway and pay for some of the cap park and have minimal impact to local businesses in a day. And, this guy says he knows stuff?

Funny reading the last couple of days of posts in one sitting.
Listen, the personal attacks are getting really fucking old. If you don't like me that's fine but if you can't even offer up something productive to the conversation, why even chime in and attack me?

Do I need to label every post with what's factual vs what portions I'm speculating about?

You clearly know nothing about large scale development. If you don't see how this location can help reduce the overall costs of the project, I can't help you.

I have been right multiple times when I've dropped certain information in here. When it comes to the final design, layout and overall plan, I'm speculating like all of us do on here when getting excited about projects.
Last edited by DColeKC on Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^This guy has totally killed this forum. Sad.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:43 pm ^This guy has totally killed this forum. Sad.
I have? How?
Last edited by DColeKC on Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:43 pm ^This guy has totally killed this forum. Sad.
His input is informed. Whether you like the message or not, it's good insight into what works and doesn't work. It may be a little biased at time but it's great to have connected people on this forum so it doesn't simply become a collection of unrealistic wish lists and negative rants.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

For those who for some reason don't respect my input and are so quick to attack me. Here's the deal. I'm only on here to try and offer information when I can but obviously have to hold back other information. I told Grid over a month ago that this was all going on because I can trust him to keep it confidential. I'm tired of the, "you don't know anything" crap when I've done more than enough to prove I do. That doesn't mean I'm going to say anything to anyone that could cause harm to those I'm close with, so at times, like right now where I want to drop information out of spite to prove I'm credible, I have to take a deep breath and do the right thing.

I go low when accused of lying, if I were the better person I would be able to avoid this but being called a liar is always going to set me off.

So, easiest solution here is to block the ones who are so quick to accuse me of these things. That way you won't have to see my posts and I can continue to try and offer some information when it's possible.

This forum is at times enjoyable for me as a person who works in a field tied to development, stadium and arena design. It becomes a stressor when the personal insults happen.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

This. I've gone from they need to get their marketing and message out to the public on the benefits of the EV location asap to now being annoyed and losing faith in the Royals to put together a plan they can sell to voters. The new airport campaign is making the baseball stadium campaign look like a clown show.

They're late to put together a plan, pitting sites/cities against each other, and vague on details. What a crap show. The longer this drags out the harder the sell is going to be. What's next, a rendering of a new stadium at the sports complex?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:57 pm His input is informed. Whether you like the message or not, it's good insight into what works and doesn't work. It may be a little biased at time but it's great to have connected people on this forum so it doesn't simply become a collection of unrealistic wish lists and negative rants.
100% agree. The forum is better with people who have some connection or are a directly involved in the development world.

KCDowntown
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

The progressive vote was never in any sizable majority going to vote for this.

I think this project excites the Jackson County suburbanites more than the East Village, which again, they had never heard of until 3 years ago (if not three months ago).
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:34 pm
Not going to avoid the inevitable. If a stadium doesn't go downtown, the sections of property in the crossroads that will border the park will be developed at some point in the next decade. The park along with other downtown developments will no doubt change the existing urban fabric, that's just natural evolution of progress. I'll keep saying this but we're talking about 5% of the land in crossroads being utilized for a baseball stadium. I'm sure people were opposed to PNL before is was built out of fear it would change the urban fabric of the crossroads and no one can reasonably argue that PNL hasn't been a massive positive for the Crossroads.
This. The people who own a majority of these buildings are not going to sit on them forever unlike a certain other well known Crossroad land hoarder. Matt Abbott has been clear he wants to develop or sell for a significant period of time. He'll sell to the Royals, or he'll begin developing the parcels of land he's sitting on now.

This is all public information through LLC filings, Jackson County Property Records, and news articles where he's stated as such.

I don't get why this is a controversial statement? How many of these buildings will need six figure plus repairs in the next ten years? A lot. I don't get the romanticism about some of these buildings.

I am romantic about the Totally Nude sign though.
Last edited by DMNBT_RCJH on Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:04 pm
This. I've gone from they need to get their marketing and message out to the public on the benefits of the EV location asap to now being annoyed and losing faith in the Royals to put together a plan they can sell to voters. The new airport campaign is making the baseball stadium campaign look like a clown show.

They're late to put together a plan, pitting sites/cities against each other, and vague on details. What a crap show. The longer this drags out the harder the sell is going to be. What's next, a rendering of a new stadium at the sports complex?
Selling the airport was a simple task in comparison. The biggest threshold was convincing the public that tax dollars would not be used to construct and that made the task much easier. But in terms of location and need, the location was obvious, and by that time, most honest Kansas Citian's agreed a new terminal was needed.

Selling a stadium is much more difficult. There's no obvious place for a stadium (like there was for the new terminal) and the options have a list of pro's and con's and they all have some hair on them. On top of that, the owners have to contend with the deep divide in this community (and especially Jackson Co) between urban and suburban and the associated self interest of suburbanites in Jackson County wanting to keep the Royals at TSC. That issue is compounded by the ignorance of suburban populations regarding downtown parking, traffic and crime. On top of all that, they are further constrained by the decision makers (those paying for it) residing only in Jackson County which is a bit of a travesty as that population would be in the minority of stadium users but that's the political situation today in the KC metro. A lot of moving parts and a lot of posturing by the organizations to get what they feel like they need to keep the franchises healthy. It would be nice if the owners had a singular plan but with so many moving parts, they are essentially thinking out loud to gauge interest as to what would be the most compelling location and scenarios.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:25 pm

I think this project excites the Jackson County suburbanites more than the East Village, which again, they had never heard of until 3 years ago (if not three months ago).
This entire urban progressive board was going to vote for it and now at best half would.

I think suburban JaCo voters don't want to subsidize billionaires and are happy with it at the K.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:40 pm

This entire urban progressive board was going to vote for it and now at best half would.

I think suburban JaCo voters don't want to subsidize billionaires and are happy with it at the K.
I’m seeing more yes votes on here then no votes. The no votes are understandable knowing the perspectives of those members. A few members are loyal crossroads supporters, residents and or business owners. I can respect their desire to keep crossroads untouched while also pointing out that the area is going to change regardless if this stadium happens.

I think the potential of a less expensive option that doesn’t need it’s own village and interacts much better with existing infrastructure is potentially more appealing to voters. The village so to speak already exists.

I can’t disagree that the handling of this by the royals has been less than stellar. I feel they could easily explain themselves if they want to peel back the curtain a bit. Things change when new people with the ability to get things done all sit down around a table.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:56 pm
grovester wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:40 pm

I’m seeing more yes votes on here then no votes. The no votes are understandable knowing the perspectives of those members. A few members are loyal crossroads supporters, residents and or business owners. I can respect their desire to keep crossroads untouched while also pointing out that the area is going to change regardless if this stadium happens.

I think the potential of a less expensive option that doesn’t need it’s own village and interacts much better with existing infrastructure is potentially more appealing to voters. The village so to speak already exists.

I can’t disagree that the handling of this by the royals has been less than stellar. I feel they could easily explain themselves if they want to peel back the curtain a bit. Things change when new people with the ability to get things done all sit down around a table.
I'd contend that the NKC site was more ultimately problematic than having two possible downtown sites. I don't see the issue with another DT site popping up "late" in the game. At least it is still downtown and has several advantages over EV. It just comes down to what option you can live with. I'd vote for either one if I was a Jackson County voter over the status quo.