Vote No on park vacation

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Vote No on park vacation

Post by moderne »

On the ballot Tuesday is issue to sell off park property north of the river east of Oak as it rises from NKC. Parks says acreage is undevelopable for parks purposes. The only way it could be developed for buildings is cut and fill. The area is steep canyon and ravine. Cut and fill would destroy the landscape. The corridor serves as a wildlife byway. The very old forest is a carbon sink and the wooded ravines capture water run off. Just because it is not suitable for heavy human use does not mean we should jettison this green space for hill billy development.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Vote No on park vacation

Post by bspecht »

Likely too late, these don't really fail on the ballot. Is there no organization tracking these as they move through Council?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

You are referring to Water Works Park I believe. Cool little spot. I know we used to go there to drink in HS 8) . Nice views and you were tucked away enough to be left alone. Also we never trashed the place, just a fun place to gather. I agree it would be tricky to develop. I say leave it be, maybe add some sort of visitor center or museum of some sort on the property to tell more of the story of the past. But do not develop it just to develop it. There are a lot better places to do it in the Northland.

Hell drive up N. Oak from NKC to Hwy 152 and you can find a treasure trove of vacant lots and underdeveloped land to use for new development and development ideas.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's not Waterworks Park.

viewtopic.php?p=665871#p665871
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Sale of the portion of the park passed 63-37.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:41 pm It's not Waterworks Park.

viewtopic.php?p=665871#p665871
Ah, thank you. It's the land close to what Northpoint is developing, to the East & North. I know St, Pius X developed land back there for soccer fields, baseball fields, tennis courts, etc. But I think that is all done on what would be the top of the plateau sort of thing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Parks has too much to take care of. The hard truth. I voted yes.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This was a wild land. There was nothing to take care of. In fact, where appropriate, a lot of park land could be returned to a wild status. Maintenance money could be saved. There could have been some improvement if there were future demand, such as hiking trails. Some of Kessler's urban masterpieces were carved out of such rough disregarded terrain.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

moderne wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:52 pm This was a wild land. There was nothing to take care of. In fact, where appropriate, a lot of park land could be returned to a wild status. Maintenance money could be saved. There could have been some improvement if there were future demand, such as hiking trails. Some of Kessler's urban masterpieces were carved out of such rough disregarded terrain.
Good point re: improvement over time. KCMO just recently (last couple of years?) installed new paved walking trails and bridges throughout the Briarcliff Greenway, not far from here. They are pretty well used and turn the greenway into a real neighborhood amenity.

Would have been nice to see trails run up from Macken Park through the wooded land being discussed here. It's really quite pretty topography all throughout this inner northland/river bluffs area.