OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Highlander »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:02 pm Especially if she doesn't have checked baggage, departures is the way to go. Just past the TSA checkpoint on the far end of the center area (farthest from the AA gates) is the exit to ticketing, which takes arriving passengers to the upper level. Then right out the door. Easy Peasy -- this is how I do things now for arrivals after 7pm when it gets hairy downstairs.
This worked perfectly. Not sure why more do not do this. Arrivals wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but we were the only car in the Departure area.

KC needs to improve the cell phone lot. It's cramped and too small and feels too much like an afterthought. Tonight I needed to park in the overflow lot, the regular lot was full. The overflow lot was almost full and cars were also parked along the Paris Street exit just off into the grass waiting for their people to arrive. There's space at the airport - get it done (unless that's the plan for the space currently occupied by the old terminals). My son was telling me the Austin cell phone lot has a Whataburger and several other fast food joint. Not a bad idea.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Highlander wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:52 pm
KC needs to improve the cell phone lot. It's cramped and too small and feels too much like an afterthought. Tonight I needed to park in the overflow lot, the regular lot was full. The overflow lot was almost full and cars were also parked along the Paris Street exit just off into the grass waiting for their people to arrive. There's space at the airport - get it done (unless that's the plan for the space currently occupied by the old terminals). My son was telling me the Austin cell phone lot has a Whataburger and several other fast food joint. Not a bad idea.
Totally agree. Improvements to the cell phone/waiting lot(s) along these lines should have occurred alongside terminal construction, paired with additional signage. Easy to improve, but needs to happen sooner than later.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The old terminal's circle drive could be a good place to wait for people (cell lot). Maybe you could park and go in and there would be food and restrooms while you wait.

I'm just trying to think of a use for one of the old terminals. I really like them from an architectural standpoint.

I think they could also convert it into the rental car pavilion. Too bad they already built a new one, far away.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I thought they were only tearing down terminal B and keeping terminal C for other uses?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:17 pm I thought they were only tearing down terminal B and keeping terminal C for other uses?
That falls into the same red herring box that virtually everything else you've heard about the airport does (Fountains, deicing, etc, etc).

They announced that they're demoing all three long ago, Grid. Sorry.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

im2kull wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:05 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:17 pm I thought they were only tearing down terminal B and keeping terminal C for other uses?
That falls into the same red herring box that virtually everything else you've heard about the airport does (Fountains, deicing, etc, etc).

That's a bummer. What's the rush in tearing down terminal C? Something may come up down the road where it could be repurposed.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:14 pm

That's a bummer. What's the rush in tearing down terminal C? Something may come up down the road where it could be repurposed.
Claiming maintenance costs...

Ironic, considering you can simply mothball a structure and let it rot if you really want to. I think it's dumb too.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

This is from an article that appeared in February 2023:

"Airport leaders tell FOX4 the plan is to tear down both Terminals B and C this summer. The space will then be used for terminal expansion and aircraft parking."

This summer was summer 2023 and obviously they were not torn down. Perhaps they should leave one intact so when Kansas Citian's realize our error with the inconvenient new terminal, we can go back to the old terminal (I kid!). Tearing down both probably because it's cheaper to do it now than in the future (no need to remobilize demolition equipment). While a better cell phone lot would be nice, they are kind of on the wrong side of the airport traffic flow for that.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:24 pm

This is from an article that appeared in February 2023:

"Airport leaders tell FOX4 the plan is to tear down both Terminals B and C this summer. The space will then be used for terminal expansion and aircraft parking."

This summer was summer 2023 and obviously they were not torn down. Perhaps they should leave one intact so when Kansas Citian's realize our error with the inconvenient new terminal, we can go back to the old terminal (I kid!). Tearing down both probably because it's cheaper to do it now than in the future (no need to remobilize demolition equipment). While a better cell phone lot would be nice, they are kind of on the wrong side of the airport traffic flow for that.
I just posted about it last week. City is bidding out the demolition work again. Although a few council members want major additions related to "community benefits" that would wreck the budget.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Given the drive up config a cell lot where the old terminals are isn't much good.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Melissa Cooper, most recently Deputy Director of Aviation and Airport Manager of the Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, hired as Kansas City’s new director of aviation.

Seems like a fine hire - operationally I've never had an issue with the downtown airport and it seems well enough run. But certainly doesn't seem like a swing for the fences hire with the goal of getting an international flight.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... n/45734967
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:51 pm Melissa Cooper, most recently Deputy Director of Aviation and Airport Manager of the Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, hired as Kansas City’s new director of aviation.

Seems like a fine hire - operationally I've never had an issue with the downtown airport and it seems well enough run. But certainly doesn't seem like a swing for the fences hire with the goal of getting an international flight.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... n/45734967
I would have expected someone with either higher up airline experience or experience at a commercial airport of some sort, even if it is a smaller one. But maybe it isn't that big of a deal.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KC has strong aviation department heads that rely less on a single Director then what you find at other airports.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just got back from AUS airport. Amazing how dingy airports that I used to be impressed with feel now with our new terminal.

They did have grab and go hot BBQ sandwiches, we need to add that immediately!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I feel the same way about the glass jetways. I said this before I think, but I was in a place where they had mostly transparent ones or you board on stairs, plus our new airport.

The first time I had the “other” style it really threw me.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Returned from Cancun tonight. Saw the beautiful A350 parked at the gate down as I walked to baggage claim. It dropping the Chiefs off annd will depart tomorrow morning.

Another seamless international direct experience. Hope we see regular LHR, CDG, Frankfurt etc flights in the future.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

It is interesting that with the demo of B and C, they are removing the terminals and the outer loop but keeping the inner loop (3 lanes) of Rome and Beirut Circles and both parking garages will remain. I think they should make Rome Circle the new cell phone lot since it will be connected to baggage claim with a covered walkway anyways.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dnweava wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:03 am I think they should make Rome Circle the new cell phone lot since it will be connected to baggage claim with a covered walkway anyways.
I'm not following what you are saying here. How is it connected via baggage claim with a covered walkway? Is this something planned? I think B or C garages were going to be used for employee lot.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:47 am
dnweava wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:03 am I think they should make Rome Circle the new cell phone lot since it will be connected to baggage claim with a covered walkway anyways.
I'm not following what you are saying here. How is it connected via baggage claim with a covered walkway? Is this something planned? I think B or C garages were going to be used for employee lot.
it's already half built
Last edited by dnweava on Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So there is a plan to finish that all the way to B garage? I saw the done part of the walkway and always kinda wondered where it was going.