Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by swid »

Speaking of...we ordered pickup from the Crossroads Food Stop ghost kitchen on Friday. I hadn't realized there are (nominally, not all of them are currently operating) *18* concepts available there.

Going in there as a non-delivery driver is also a bit unnerving, as the pickup process is set up to make it all but impossible to interact with an actual human.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:23 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:21 pm Saw some workers inside the old Reiger space this week. Is something moving in there or just general maintenance?
The old Rieger space at 1924 Main has a remodel application on Compass for a new restaurant called "Wise Guy". Applicant is Ashley May.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
A friend of mine sent me a screenshot of their liquor license application; the full business name is "The Wise Guy Tavern" and it's a concept from the Rockhill group.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Oh, that's interesting. I trust rockhill to do something fun there
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tiki bar on the way

https://kontikiroom.com/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:44 am Tiki bar on the way

https://kontikiroom.com/
Cool! Funny enough, I was actually thinking recently that this spot would be a good place for a tiki bar in the crossroads. But I guess it's a law firm?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0882695 ... ?entry=ttu

Either way great to see and I'll definitely try this spot out once it opens
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"Agaves" liquor license request for 1518 McGee. I think it used to be the Uber office?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

swid wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:24 am Speaking of...we ordered pickup from the Crossroads Food Stop ghost kitchen on Friday. I hadn't realized there are (nominally, not all of them are currently operating) *18* concepts available there.

Going in there as a non-delivery driver is also a bit unnerving, as the pickup process is set up to make it all but impossible to interact with an actual human.
How was the food?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The hot chicken sandwich from...Nashville Hot Chicken is decent; I'd order it again. The wings from Mr Wingz...not so much.

The only other concept I can speak to is Old Shawnee Pizza - the people I've talked to who've had it both there and at one of their actual locations didn't think it tasted any different from the ghost kitchen, so that bodes reasonably well for Waldo Pizza once it opens there.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I can attest that the Old Shawnee Pizza tastes just like the other locations
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Sounds like Dialetic Engineering may be moving out to OP once their lease is up.

Not really new news - they’ve had frustrations at this Crossroads location since they signed the lease. But it’s quite a public statement from a growing firm downtown.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lding.html

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

A bit dramatic
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:11 pm A bit dramatic
The city cutting up its own streets to curb violence is a bit dramatic.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact this is when the city starts putting together budgets
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Not surprising.

I fear the last 20 years of good work in urban cores will be for naught over the next five.

That said, to say no company feels their employees are safe downtown is an absurd statement.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I work basically 3 blocks from where Dialectic is and have experienced basically nothing of what’s written in the letter (knock on wood), and I walk back and forth from home every day from my office, and every day take a walk around the neighborhood at lunch, so if the crossroads was on fire I think I would’ve noticed by now
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Kind of ironic that he's complaining to the *Greater* Kansas City Chamber of Commerce. It's no difference to them when he's in the Crossroads or OP. Complaints to the Downtown Council might spur more action. It's always been a little odd to me that every suburb and niche municipality has a chamber of commerce, but not the core city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:38 am Not surprising.

I fear the last 20 years of good work in urban cores will be for naught over the next five.
Why?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

While I do think he was a bit dramatic, I know dozens of people who have had car windows broke in parking garages downtown. I've also been witness to a few shootings shortly after they've happened.

Once again, this is all fixed with a much heavier police presence. Well, perhaps not fixed but it would go along way.

The homeless issue is a major problem as well. I have had two situations in the last month where I've rounded a corner to find a homeless person hiding out. One was clearly suffering from some mental issues. I could have easily been attacked. Years ago, walking home at 2am I had a knife pulled on me but his knife didn't compete with my choice of personal defense. Had I not been prepared, I'm positive I would have been stabbed.
MidKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MidKC »

This doesn’t seem all that newsworthy. Certain demos have been afraid of cities and fleeing to the suburbs for decades.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

MidKC wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:07 pm This doesn’t seem all that newsworthy. Certain demos have been afraid of cities and fleeing to the suburbs for decades.
What demo is afraid of cities?

I think fleeing to the burbs is a natural American progression of life as you start a family and no longer find a downtown urban setting conducive to that lifestyle.