Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:01 pm Really hope with the continued additions to residential developments and adding more & more people living downtown that businesses like fast food/fast casual will come downtown more. Also some retail, especially a "box store" of sorts. Really look at the business growth organically as the money follows the people so to speak. Then perhaps there will be at least 1 or 2 companies that decide to have an HQ presence downtown to bring back that business traffic. Ideally a homegrown KC company that is experiencing growth and ready to take that next step in their growth.

But nice to see activity in development still going after the all the COVID crap.
It's essential to remember that PNL is a master development plan designed for gradual leasing, not an immediate occupancy. While some may argue that it should be fully leased by now, several factors have contributed to the current situation. The recession that coincided with its opening, the setbacks caused by the pandemic, and the challenging business climate for offices and retail spaces since then all play a role in the leasing progress. Currently, approximately 520,000 square feet out of the total 600,000 square feet has been leased, which considering the circumstances, is not entirely unreasonable.

As the residential sector continues to grow in the area, PNL becomes more attractive to potential renters. However, it's crucial to consider the distinct focus of PNL compared to other retail leasing areas, like The Plaza. While The Plaza emphasizes retail, PNL revolves around entertainment. This unique aspect may deter some potential clients who prefer a steady flow of foot traffic and wish to avoid large crowds that often accompany concerts and events. Despite the increasing residential developments, it's possible that most traditional forms of retail might not thrive in this particular neighborhood. Apart from stores like Target, clothing retail may face challenges in establishing a strong presence in the area for the time being.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It’s impressive they’ve leased 520,000sf of space, but that last little bit of space is key. Leasing strategies and differences with Ballpark Village aside, P&L is the denser of the two and in a better downtown. That last 82,000sf needs something to take this district to the next level and cement the district as something you’ll only find here.

I will continue to hammer home the idea of local businesses taking center stage instead of the same general concepts found at BPV, 4th Street Live, or the Powerplant in Baltimore.

I’ve had a conversation with someone at Cordish (won’t elaborate much) and it was productive. We plan to have another meeting in the future, but the optimism from this person is clear, just the person wishes the rumors and claims would cease and allow the process to take place as some claims complicate the deals in process.

But admittedly, and what I got from the conversation, ideas, suggestions and general discussion are always welcome.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Empty leases are disastrous for trying to increase rents. It says the area is not in top demand. Personally, I’d drop rent to fill any space (including the hole at NW 14th and Main) like Chris said. Then, you can market that “We’re fully leased. Would you like to be on a waiting list?” And charge top rent because you’re the top location in town. Optics trump marketing and the optics right now are that many spaces are struggling.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:47 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:12 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:57 am
Actually leasing out commercial space would be the first step.
You tie incentives directly to occupancy or give a disincentive for unleased space. Doesn’t have to be much, but developers hate to see negatives (costs) on their balance sheets. They don’t seem to care about missed opportunity costs as they will fight like crazy to keep from writing a check.
Exactly, developers hate to see negative cash flow which happens with every empty space, but sure, charge the owner of a building more money if they don't lease it. Seems like a massive overstep and abuse of power to me. In this country, you should be able to buy up whatever you want and never fill it if that's your prerogative. As long as it's maintained and not a public nuisance.
Empty retail bays are a public nuisance in a district that is supported by taxpayers.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:32 pm It’s impressive they’ve leased 520,000sf of space, but that last little bit of space is key. Leasing strategies and differences with Ballpark Village aside, P&L is the denser of the two and in a better downtown. That last 82,000sf needs something to take this district to the next level and cement the district as something you’ll only find here.

I will continue to hammer home the idea of local businesses taking center stage instead of the same general concepts found at BPV, 4th Street Live, or the Powerplant in Baltimore.

I’ve had a conversation with someone at Cordish (won’t elaborate much) and it was productive. We plan to have another meeting in the future, but the optimism from this person is clear, just the person wishes the rumors and claims would cease and allow the process to take place as some claims complicate the deals in process.

But admittedly, and what I got from the conversation, ideas, suggestions and general discussion are always welcome.
Chris is kinder than me as always, but I’ve heard the same.

Cordish takes a very deliberate path to what they do, and they always have. I’ll continue to criticize them as I see warranted.

But they’re the most predictable developer downtown. To put it lightly, I’ve heard they haven’t taken kindly to the constant rumors on what’s next.

I’d encourage everyone to push them, but not get obsessed about “they’re doing this next.”

As always, the people that talk don’t know, and the people that do stay silent.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC has to be the largest metro without Mellow Mushroom. Always felt there would be some synergy between the movie theater and a MM on the NW corner of 14th and Main. Plus I like the pizza.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

smh wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:32 am KC has to be the largest metro without Mellow Mushroom. Always felt there would be some synergy between the movie theater and a MM on the NW corner of 14th and Main. Plus I like the pizza.
We already have Pizza Bar in the Power and Light District and major parts of the CBD can only really support one pizza place… that is only open after 4 pm.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:09 am
smh wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:32 am KC has to be the largest metro without Mellow Mushroom. Always felt there would be some synergy between the movie theater and a MM on the NW corner of 14th and Main. Plus I like the pizza.
We already have Pizza Bar in the Power and Light District and major parts of the CBD can only really support one pizza place… that is only open after 4 pm.
Please, do not sully the good name of Atlanta's finest pizza by comparing it to Pizza Bar. ;-) /s

I generally agree we don't really need another pizza place...but Cordish loves established tenants and MM fits that bill. It is of course just one suggestion. But I wouldn't mind grabbing a pizza after a movie.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

smh wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:16 am I generally agree we don't really need another pizza place...but Cordish loves established tenants and MM fits that bill. It is of course just one suggestion. But I wouldn't mind grabbing a pizza after a movie.
Maybe we should do what we did with Joes BBQ, create a space called ‘Little Italy-serving MM pizza’! /s
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:53 am
smh wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:16 am I generally agree we don't really need another pizza place...but Cordish loves established tenants and MM fits that bill. It is of course just one suggestion. But I wouldn't mind grabbing a pizza after a movie.
Maybe we should do what we did with Joes BBQ, create a space called ‘Little Italy-serving MM pizza’! /s
County Road IcePizza House
JohnKCMO
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by JohnKCMO »

Storefronts on Main have been empty for years now. If I was from out of town, and saw that, my first thought would be that Kansas City isn't' doing well economically.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I continue to be blown away by how different this city feels when there is a concert or convention happening. I have no idea what Kubota is but it’s nice seeing the amount of people walking around P&L on a random Monday.

Have to imagine that if there was this level of foot traffic more consistently there would not be the vacancy we currently see here
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Not sure on exact numbers but between three and five tenant announcements expected this week. Some new and one expansion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exciting! Expansion guess would be yardhouse.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Wow. That's big news, and of the most underrated fixes we've needed downtown.

Yardhouse does seem like the logical one for an expansion.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Not Yardhouse but that makes sense considering how well they do.

Anyone else sick of Costentinos breakfast?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why, is First Watch opening in the P&L?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

FangKC wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:07 pm Why, is First Watch opening in the P&L?
I was thinking that or Big Biscuit but there's already one in Westport
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've been lobbying for biscuit restaurants. haha.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:19 pm
FangKC wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:07 pm Why, is First Watch opening in the P&L?
I was thinking that or Big Biscuit but there's already one in Westport
How about Urban Egg in an actually urban location