Beacon Hill

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Beacon Hill

Post by herrfrank »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:40 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:09 pm There are 16 recovery centers in Malibu, California, and the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, CA, is next to the Rancho Mirage Country Club and several others. Having them doesn't appear to have a negative effect.
There's also people shitting on the streets in those same areas. California is just plain trashy, as is most of the West Coast. Of course there's no negative effect to that trashiness to the residents, who, are used to that social norm. The Midwest is a completely different environment. People here take care of and cut their lawns. Pick up trash. Use public toilets that are actually, toilets. Etc.
Umm.. Not in Rancho Mirage they're not. Maybe in a few spots in Cathedral City, but not in the other (downvalley) desert cities. Some of these towns still actually vote (R) [lololol]

Having said that, the Betty Ford Center is a selective rehab. I think it would fit in fine in the middle of Leawood, for example.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The West Coast is really dirty, but I think it's over exaggerated. I live in the center of Hollywood and there's not nearly as much dookie on the streets as some people claim, the neighborhood has several entities that work really hard to keep the streets clean. With that being said, littering is worse than any city I have lived in by far. I think KC has a surprisingly large number of mentally ill, unhoused citizens who act about as crazy as anything I've seen on Cahuenga or Fig. It's pretty shocking when you factor in how the population of the city.

KC prepped me 4 life in LA lol
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Here in KC I have to pick up fast food trash from the curb in front of my home nearly every day. One morning last week I thought there was a heaped up blanket on the sidewalk across the street, then I spied a leg sticking out from it. Regularly see people urinating and defecating in the park out in the open, not even bothering to go behind bushes.
Was visiting friends in Pasadena last month. They live a block from the intersection of Orange Grove and Colorado where the Rose Parade makes the turn and all the TV commentators are set up. They took me into LA to see all the new construction from my last visit. Homeless encamped in countless spots especially along freeways. In Pasadena no unhoused. Don't know how they handle it. Saw once a panhandler by freeway entrance, when I came back by 15 minutes later he was gone. In Pasadena the California dream still seems alive. Cannot make broad generalizations about any state or city about this issue.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

im2kull wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:28 am
taxi wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:35 pm There should be lots of public bathrooms. It should be a whole new industry and employ lots of people to maintain and clean them. The homeless problem is huge and not easy to solve, maybe even impossible. But for godsake, our tax dollars and the city should provide them the dignity of having a bathroom and shower. It is not that hard.
1. Get employed if not already. 2. Obtain housing. 3. Use facilities in said housing.

Problem solved.
What happens before #1? Perhaps a #2 on im2kull's bushes.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

moderne wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:50 pm Here in KC I have to pick up fast food trash from the curb in front of my home nearly every day. One morning last week I thought there was a heaped up blanket on the sidewalk across the street, then I spied a leg sticking out from it. Regularly see people urinating and defecating in the park out in the open, not even bothering to go behind bushes.
Was visiting friends in Pasadena last month. They live a block from the intersection of Orange Grove and Colorado where the Rose Parade makes the turn and all the TV commentators are set up. They took me into LA to see all the new construction from my last visit. Homeless encamped in countless spots especially along freeways. In Pasadena no unhoused. Don't know how they handle it. Saw once a panhandler by freeway entrance, when I came back by 15 minutes later he was gone. In Pasadena the California dream still seems alive. Cannot make broad generalizations about any state or city about this issue.
Pasadena is truly amazing, it gives off some midwest charm and is very walkable. They're basically the template for California to follow.

sorry ik it's off topic.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:05 am
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:58 pm
Dog shit downtown is a greater problem here than any other city I’ve lived in
I literally watched a guy let his golden retriever shit in the middle of the sidewalk in the Freight House District and walk away from it. He fully saw me there looking at him with my large group and if I had not been trying to keep up with that group I would have confronted him. I was fuming for like two days over it. It is a big problem, there is new dog shit in front of my house in Volker every few days.
A little off topic but I agree this is enraging and a pet peeve of mine. As a large dog owner, there is no more basic responsibility than waste cleanup and ensuring that you have the necessary bags on hand when outside the house. I was amazed at the lack of respect and accountability when we lived downtown. Do these people need to be literally confronted and told the rules?

In the suburban multifamily world there is a system called Poo Prints that is required in many communities. Samples can be DNA tested and matched to registered animals, and a fine provided. Obviously impossible to implement on a city-wide scale, but man you'd love to see it.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

rxlexi wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:28 am
FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:05 am
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:58 pm
Dog shit downtown is a greater problem here than any other city I’ve lived in
I literally watched a guy let his golden retriever shit in the middle of the sidewalk in the Freight House District and walk away from it. He fully saw me there looking at him with my large group and if I had not been trying to keep up with that group I would have confronted him. I was fuming for like two days over it. It is a big problem, there is new dog shit in front of my house in Volker every few days.
A little off topic but I agree this is enraging and a pet peeve of mine. As a large dog owner, there is no more basic responsibility than waste cleanup and ensuring that you have the necessary bags on hand when outside the house. I was amazed at the lack of respect and accountability when we lived downtown. Do these people need to be literally confronted and told the rules?

In the suburban multifamily world there is a system called Poo Prints that is required in many communities. Samples can be DNA tested and matched to registered animals, and a fine provided. Obviously impossible to implement on a city-wide scale, but man you'd love to see it.
Lol what??? You have to provide your dogs DNA to a third party company? Sorry, as enraging as the constant dog poo in my yards is I think that kind of surveillance is indicative of such a low trust, low decency social environment that it’s positively Orwellian. I would not love to see something that ham handed and intrusive.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:10 pm
Lol what??? You have to provide your dogs DNA to a third party company? Sorry, as enraging as the constant dog poo in my yards is I think that kind of surveillance is indicative of such a low trust, low decency social environment that it’s positively Orwellian. I would not love to see something that ham handed and intrusive.
Indeed - https://www.pooprints.com/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Amethyst Place under construction. Large "L" shaped lot on end of block will make an impact.