OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by bspecht »

Turo coming to the commercial curb: https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... s=&Search=

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Jokes on them anybody can drive in that commercial lane.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:24 pm Jokes on them anybody can drive in that commercial lane.
I may have stumbled on a significant hack when I was picked up on my last trip. Head across to the second curb and have somebody meet you at the charter bus section. I can't imagine it gets that much activity so it should be pretty empty every time.

Shhhhhh
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shaffe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:48 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:24 pm Jokes on them anybody can drive in that commercial lane.
I may have stumbled on a significant hack when I was picked up on my last trip. Head across to the second curb and have somebody meet you at the charter bus section. I can't imagine it gets that much activity so it should be pretty empty every time.

Shhhhhh
yeah I'm sure it's "frowned upon" so my hack will probably be the arrivals level if it's ever reported as a problem. Seems like it's mostly cleared up.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Sponsor: Director of the Aviation Department Authorizing a $839,000.00 Amendment No. 7 with Paslay Management Group for the Owner's Representative at KCI Airport; and authorizing a maximum expenditure of $922,900.00.
https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... t|&Search=
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

There was an article in The Star a few days ago that went into why the arrivals curb still has issues. Joe McBride said nine of the 22 traffic control officer positions are still unfilled, and the pay for that position starts at $18.61/hr. An anonymous officer said that was a major problem for retention. McBride said they've had hiring fairs to try and fill some of the traffic officer positions, as well as custodial positions, but they still have needs there. That probably explains the issues with the bathrooms people have mentioned, empty soap dispensers and such.

The two other issues mentioned in the article are unfamiliarity with the cell phone lot and delays caused by the crosswalks stopping traffic constantly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The officers don't even try to move the curb lane. I don't buy the worker shortage one second. The ped crossing can cause problems but busy times they do have officers there stopping cars and people

It's also not really any problem and I've been to the airport a ton of times now all times of the day.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:46 am The officers don't even try to move the curb lane. I don't buy the worker shortage one second. The ped crossing can cause problems but busy times they do have officers there stopping cars and people

It's also not really any problem and I've been to the airport a ton of times now all times of the day.
Glad you mentioned this; maybe I’m lucky but I’ve never witnessed the pick-up apocalypse firsthand coming out of the airport
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

There’s still issues but it’s much more hit or miss, not a constant backup.

At the arrivals curb last week there was no officer to be found. Middle of the afternoon with only a few curb spots available and lots of people just sitting in their cars. After ~15 minutes an officer pulled up in an SUV & parked at the front of the pickup lane. They proceeded to just sit in the car the rest of the time I was waiting. Beyond bizarre and counterproductive, since they took up another pickup spot and didn’t tell anybody to move.

It really shouldn’t be this hard to figure out.

That said, all the custodial issues inside the terminal seem to have dissipated on my last 3 trips through the terminal.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

At the old airport, there used to be two officers (presumably with ticketing powers) who really kept cars moving. As a reminder the parking regulation is clear: it's No Parking, and Standing Only while Loading and Unloading. Old terminals were the same rule as new terminal.

In the old Terminal B there was a younger Asian woman who was persistent about getting cars moving. At Terminal C, there was an older white guy -- gruff and bossy. They both were fairly aggressive and got into it with illegal parkers on more than one occasion, in my own experience.

Where did these two people go? They would be my first line of attack on the parking situation. The arrivals area is not always bad, but when it's bad, it backs up and causes traffic disruptions to the entire complex.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I still argue that all we need to do is a 2 week long operation of immediate ticketing, and tow after 5 minutes. Let the news know so they can publicize this, and I guarantee the problem is solved from there
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Do you miss this?

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I don't think anyone is advocating for bringing back the old terminal but I agree with herrfrank - where did those people go?

I had the old guy you mentioned yell at me a couple times while waiting to pick up people.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

horizons82 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:06 pm There’s still issues but it’s much more hit or miss, not a constant backup.

At the arrivals curb last week there was no officer to be found. Middle of the afternoon with only a few curb spots available and lots of people just sitting in their cars. After ~15 minutes an officer pulled up in an SUV & parked at the front of the pickup lane. They proceeded to just sit in the car the rest of the time I was waiting. Beyond bizarre and counterproductive, since they took up another pickup spot and didn’t tell anybody to move.

It really shouldn’t be this hard to figure out.

That said, all the custodial issues inside the terminal seem to have dissipated on my last 3 trips through the terminal.
My understanding that the problems were more acute on the late night flights and arrivals. I'll be heading to KCI later this week to pick up daughter on a late night flight. Was expecting the worse. We may just park (isn't the first 30 minutes free) or instruct her to go to departures?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:19 pm I don't think anyone is advocating for bringing back the old terminal but I agree with herrfrank - where did those people go?

I had the old guy you mentioned yell at me a couple times while waiting to pick up people.
Wasn't saying that, just popped up in my photo feed from last year and I got a little PTSD.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Especially if she doesn't have checked baggage, departures is the way to go. Just past the TSA checkpoint on the far end of the center area (farthest from the AA gates) is the exit to ticketing, which takes arriving passengers to the upper level. Then right out the door. Easy Peasy -- this is how I do things now for arrivals after 7pm when it gets hairy downstairs.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We have a car service for our return from an upcoming trip and they made a point to say they could not pick up at the curb but would meet us at luggage.

Flight is due at 11:30 so will get a good look.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:39 pm Do you miss this?

I'll miss it once they come down. I still hope one of them can be redeveloped into a terminal hotel or office building with restaurant. Could be cool to reuse one of the terminals and turn it into something unique.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:30 am I'll miss it once they come down. I still hope one of them can be redeveloped into a terminal hotel or office building with restaurant. Could be cool to reuse one of the terminals and turn it into something unique.
Looks like they'll be coming down pretty soon: https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... c5951eb7ca
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Southwest rolled out some new videos on YouTube as part of a PR push called "Investing in Better," and the new terminal is featured among the improvements they've made. They called out the 290+ employees (who are apparently called "Cohearts" now, I must have missed the memo) and 70 daily flights, including to Cabo and Montego Bay. The new terminal even got its own 42-second video.