Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I was thinking about this as well, and I do think once the South Loop Cap, streetcar extension, KC Current & Royals stadiums are up downtown it will be weird that Sporting KC is just sitting randomly out there in Kansas, far flung from all the activity. It really is a waste for both sides. It'd be an easy opportunity for SKC to get themselves a new modernized stadium, and be in the city center.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Children's Mercy Park cost twice as much to construct as San Jose's and it has always seemed like a nicer stadium to me. For the first six years or so of its existence, CMP was probably in the top two stadiums in the league (only behind RBNY). But with all of the new stadiums built in the last few years, it is quickly slipping to the middle of the pack.

I think this coming off-season will tell us a lot about the future of MLS. Will the Messi effect lead to a significant increase in revenue, spending, and star player signings that will forever change the trajectory of the league? Or will there just be a temporary bump in interest from Messi that will fade away in a year or two? If it is the former, then SKC will definitely need to consider their options in the near future, be it expansion/renovation of CMP or a new (hopefully urban) stadium.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:39 am Children's Mercy Park cost twice as much to construct as San Jose's and it has always seemed like a nicer stadium to me. For the first six years or so of its existence, CMP was probably in the top two stadiums in the league (only behind RBNY). But with all of the new stadiums built in the last few years, it is quickly slipping to the middle of the pack.

I think this coming off-season will tell us a lot about the future of MLS. Will the Messi effect lead to a significant increase in revenue, spending, and star player signings that will forever change the trajectory of the league? Or will there just be a temporary bump in interest from Messi that will fade away in a year or two? If it is the former, then SKC will definitely need to consider their options in the near future, be it expansion/renovation of CMP or a new (hopefully urban) stadium.
FIFA officials also think the 2026 World Cup is going to really boost the popularity of MLS in America. It's only going up from here, I wish SKC would get downtown like every other MLS club has been.
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:53 pm I wish SKC would get downtown like every other MLS club has been.
Monkey paw curls, Royals and Jackson County announce SKC will play in new downtown baseball stadium.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

That has zero percent chance of happening, even as a temporary option for another downtown or downtown adjacent location.

It's just one owner at this point raising a stink at even thinking of moving. He won't be around the organization for much longer at this point, always shocked he has been up til now.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:53 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:39 am Children's Mercy Park cost twice as much to construct as San Jose's and it has always seemed like a nicer stadium to me. For the first six years or so of its existence, CMP was probably in the top two stadiums in the league (only behind RBNY). But with all of the new stadiums built in the last few years, it is quickly slipping to the middle of the pack.

FIFA officials also think the 2026 World Cup is going to really boost the popularity of MLS in America. It's only going up from here, I wish SKC would get downtown like every other MLS club has been.
Why do people like driving to Sporting games? That stadium feels so far away from the metro area's population. It has to be the worst location for being close to most people, especially your suburban soccer families and your younger urban crowd. It just doesn't make sense.

Watch the Current start to outdraw them...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:10 pm Watch the Current start to outdraw them...
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't happen.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:22 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:10 pm Watch the Current start to outdraw them...
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't happen.
That would be full blown disaster for MLS, seeing as that would mean 3k average less than the last place team in MLS for attendance. I'd put a below zero chance of that happening either, just be logical & look at stadium capacity & how NWSL draws on average.

They'd pretty much have to be the Portland Thorns to get that type of attendance.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:26 pm
That would be full blown disaster for MLS, seeing as that would mean 3k average less than the last place team in MLS for attendance. I'd put a below zero chance of that happening either, just be logical & look at stadium capacity & how NWSL draws on average.

They'd pretty much have to be the Portland Thorns to get that type of attendance.
Yeah, I’m sure it wouldn’t happen. Current stadium capacity is around 12k? SKC is averaging 18k this season and while I think Current in the first year of new stadium might sell out, impossible to match SKC. But, large crowds at the Current might change some opinions about SKC downtown in the future.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:54 pm But, large crowds at the Current might change some opinions about SKC downtown in the future.
^This

I don't think they're going to be able to deny it, and I bet anything Current will draw crowds
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Current drawing 10k all the time needs to be the goal. They'll easily hit it the first season, maybe the next one, but they're going to have a long time goal of hitting that 3-5 years from now. Going to be tougher than a lot of people realize, but I believe they can do it at least the first 3 seasons easily.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Will be interesting. While KC enjoys soccer, it doesn't have large, rabid fanbases for the local teams. I could see many people getting their soccer fix from the Current and reducing the Sporting crowd in the future.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:16 pm Current drawing 10k all the time needs to be the goal. They'll easily hit it the first season, maybe the next one, but they're going to have a long time goal of hitting that 3-5 years from now. Going to be tougher than a lot of people realize, but I believe they can do it at least the first 3 seasons easily.
Being the only pro team that plays downtown and seems seriously committed to the city, I can see them drawing well for a long time. This will be the first team that will seriously tap into KC's urban and younger demographic while also appealing to the suburban families. Like said, going to a Royals game is odd because there like like nobody there in their 20s and 30s like I see in other stadiums.

I still don't get the location of the Sporting stadium being desirable to anybody in metro KC. It's very odd that people complain about going Downtown or even NKC for a Royals game, but are fine with driving way out to Bonner Springs in the least populated part of metro KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:11 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:16 pm Current drawing 10k all the time needs to be the goal. They'll easily hit it the first season, maybe the next one, but they're going to have a long time goal of hitting that 3-5 years from now. Going to be tougher than a lot of people realize, but I believe they can do it at least the first 3 seasons easily.
Being the only pro team that plays downtown and seems seriously committed to the city, I can see them drawing well for a long time. This will be the first team that will seriously tap into KC's urban and younger demographic while also appealing to the suburban families. Like said, going to a Royals game is odd because there like like nobody there in their 20s and 30s like I see in other stadiums.

I still don't get the location of the Sporting stadium being desirable to anybody in metro KC. It's very odd that people complain about going Downtown or even NKC for a Royals game, but are fine with driving way out to Bonner Springs in the least populated part of metro KC.
While I'm not a fan of the Legends, it's probably what the area around TSC should have become.

It's not as badly placed as you might think. Very easy access for Johnson County which has a large number of soccer fans and pretty easy access for the KC North burbs. Wyandotte County has a large Hispanic population which includes a lot of soccer fans. It's a long way for Lees Summit/Blue Springs/Raymore people but TSC is a long way for a lot of people in the metro as well. Anywhere other than downtown will always favor one side of the metro over the other.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

^Disagree…I agree with GRID.

As someone who grew up in JoCo, we never went up there because it was too far away It wasn’t worth it to drive that far just for a soccer game. Had it been in south JoCo then I’d probably have been to 100 soccer games by now. Either way, it’s a no-brainer to put them downtown once the Current start to succeed.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:13 am

While I'm not a fan of the Legends, it's probably what the area around TSC should have become.

It's not as badly placed as you might think. Very easy access for Johnson County which has a large number of soccer fans and pretty easy access for the KC North burbs. Wyandotte County has a large Hispanic population which includes a lot of soccer fans. It's a long way for Lees Summit/Blue Springs/Raymore people but TSC is a long way for a lot of people in the metro as well. Anywhere other than downtown will always favor one side of the metro over the other.
Village West is nowhere near the vast majority of the built up parts of JoCo and it's not that close to the Northland either. It's hella far from the Jackson County and Cass County suburbs. When you go to Village West, it truly feels like you are leaving the metro area's urbanized area. That place is in the middle of nowhere. The ENTIRE COUNTY of WyCo is less populated than Blue Springs/Lee's Summit and the populated parts of WyCo don't start for miles to the east.

Not to mention it has the worst demographics in the metro especially when compared to other suburbs.

Population within ten miles of:

Village West 175k
Truman Sports Complex 630k
Downtown 700k
Lee's Summit (50/470) 405k
Northland (169/152) 310k
Country Club Plaza 790k
Olathe 430k
Overland Park (435/Metcalf) 730k
Belton 250k

It's a terrible location, but I guess people in KC love to drive. They just can't figure out how to park in a garage....
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:16 pm
Highlander wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:13 am

Village West is nowhere near the vast majority of the built up parts of JoCo and it's not that close to the Northland either. It's hella far from the Jackson County and Cass County suburbs. When you go to Village West, it truly feels like you are leaving the metro area's urbanized area. That place is in the middle of nowhere. The ENTIRE COUNTY of WyCo is less populated than Blue Springs/Lee's Summit and the populated parts of WyCo don't start for miles to the east.

Not to mention it has the worst demographics in the metro especially when compared to other suburbs.

Population within ten miles of:

Village West 175k
Truman Sports Complex 630k
Downtown 700k
Lee's Summit (50/470) 405k
Northland (169/152) 310k
Country Club Plaza 790k
Olathe 430k
Overland Park (435/Metcalf) 730k
Belton 250k

It's a terrible location, but I guess people in KC love to drive. They just can't figure out how to park in a garage....
I live in Leawood and without significant traffic I can be at the Legends in 20 minutes (only slightly further than TSC). About the same for people in Olathe. The Legends survives by virtue of access to Johnson County. As for Sporting KC's stadium, it's on an underutilized, almost never congested outer ring highway with easy access from the entire west side of the metro including KC North in Platte County (142 or 45 to I435 and then south). It's not great for people on the east side of the metro but it's really not a long or difficult drive for people on the west.

For better or worse, KCK has been able to create some critical mass at the Legends and it remains a fairly attractive destination for many which makes the extra 5 minutes it might take to get there worth it for many people going to SKC match. Where else would be better short of downtown? The Legends is really the kind of development that KC should have attempted to create around TSC way back in the 70's when the neighborhoods near it were in better shape.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:11 pm Like said, going to a Royals game is odd because there like like nobody there in their 20s and 30s like I see in other stadiums.
I love this newest narrative arc of your KC-Eeyore dystopian fantasy, in which baseball fans EveRywHere bUt Kc!!!!! are 20 and 30 somethings. Your capacity for sustained but inventive goofiness is astounding.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:49 am
GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:11 pm Like said, going to a Royals game is odd because there like like nobody there in their 20s and 30s like I see in other stadiums.
I love this newest narrative arc of your KC-Eeyore dystopian fantasy, in which baseball fans EveRywHere bUt Kc!!!!! are 20 and 30 somethings. Your capacity for sustained but inventive goofiness is astounding.
No, I said there are a lot more 20 and 30 somethings at other stadiums. If KC had a downtown park, I'm sure KC would attract more of that demographic. I'm sorry that's so hard for you to comprehend.

And as far as Nats Park specifically. Yeah, I have no problem saying that stadium draws in more 20 and 30 somethings than any other demographic. The location, the kind of city DC is etc. all play into who goes to games. Same with the DC United soccer team. The Royals mostly draw from suburban families. Kauffman is not a thing to do on a Tuesday night for younger people without kids that live in the River Market or Plaza.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

10 miles going 75mph on an interstate is nothing. The last numbers I saw said SKC’s average age of a season ticket holder was 29.7. That’s extremely young for a pro team. Additionally, over 40% of season ticket holders are f Johnson County.

You can get to I-70 and 435 pretty quickly from many parts of the metro. Especially on a Saturday when most home games are played.

All KC has to do is drop $300MM for a downtown stadium and I’m sure SKC would move.