Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Westport

Post by FlippantCitizen »

This is an extremely disappointing development for a stretch of road that could have a lot of potential as a nice urban corridor.

SW Trafficway, the triangle, and all of the roads leading to it are a blight fro everyone living in the vicinity.

Hate to see more of these cheap suburban format businesses gaining traction in the environs when I'd like to see some good redevelopment that could tie West Plaza and Volker together with a nice commercial street instead of a speedway where you can go bet your life on a game of IRL frogger.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Every CPC and city council person should be forced to visit businesses on this stretch as part of their orientation/training so they can understand the consequences of approving curbs cuts and this kind of development on a road not made for it.

It is so so dangerous.
bobthebiker
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bobthebiker »

The sad part is that Westport Rd was designed for it. The old businesses and buildings that still remain are the outcasts. Our forebears thought that traffic flow was the end all be all and changed the design of westport and trafficway for it. That corners on the South side (Westport Rd and State Line) are relatively full despite the fact that Westport Rd is a 50mph stroad. The rush hour lanes that are so prevalent in the city are here too .

The solution is simple. Close the rush hour lanes. Put in curbs and formalize parking. There would likely be little to no push back from businesses because they get more parking in front of their business that customers aren't afraid to park at. If you have extra space and can narrow the left over lanes more, put in bike lanes. This is not hard. It takes political will to squash the suburban "It will take me 3 minutes longer to get to my job" or "why can't I drive 50 here like my neighborhood stroad" and a bit of cash.

Lets do this one and 50 others across the city and people will wonder why we ever let it be the other way.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Westport Road CID being created, "Wagon Trails Community Improvement District": https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Who is championing this, any idea? First I'm hearing.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

smh wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:38 pm Who is championing this, any idea? First I'm hearing.
Sponsored by Bunch, was presented by Midtown KC Now (Kevin Klinkenberg). Presentation is attached to the legislation.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bspecht wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:17 pm
smh wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:38 pm Who is championing this, any idea? First I'm hearing.
Sponsored by Bunch, was presented by Midtown KC Now (Kevin Klinkenberg). Presentation is attached to the legislation.
Ahh, well that's exciting. If Kevin and Bunch think it makes sense then it probably does.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I am 100% against sales tax CID that carves out surrounding population from the district. This means they will pay the tax but not vote on it. Seems unconstitutional to me. But it’s an easy way to raise revenue and so politicians go for it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Metro residents buy things in different jurisdictions--from where they physically live--at higher sales tax rates and don't get to vote on the higher tax in those jurisdictions.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't have an issue with a sales tax CID but .75% seems kinda steep. And why aren't the City Place apartments, Hotel Westport and and Westport Flea Market included? Add in those businesses and reduce the sales tax amount a bit.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:16 am Metro residents buy things in different jurisdictions--from where they physically live--at higher sales tax rates and don't get to vote on the higher tax in those jurisdictions.
That’s not what this is
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

What happened with that development that was supposed to wrap around where Charbar is at?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Jukebox Hero already closed up after 5 months. It was in the large ramen space. I kind of forgot about this place. Didn't really get a ton of buzz or never really saw ads for it.

Did the piano place ever open on 39th?
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Metro wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:44 pm What happened with that development that was supposed to wrap around where Charbar is at?
The property has been sold to a developer from Wichita. AFAIK, there is no word on whether they plan to pursue the previous plan, or any development for the site. It seems like the previous owners weren't actually going to pull anything off, so that might be a lateral movement.
brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:09 pmDid the piano place ever open on 39th?
Not yet. They are still working on it.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Fountain Haus closed. That's too bad, it was a really nice bar. Personally I also think it was great to have such a high-profile gay bar in the heart of Westport. I wonder what happened?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Midtownkid wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:46 pm Fountain Haus closed. That's too bad, it was a really nice bar. Personally I also think it was great to have such a high-profile gay bar in the heart of Westport. I wonder what happened?
Ive read 2 different things. 1. was ownership had a falling out. 2. was the rent was too high.

That corner hasnt had the best luck with places staying there for along time. That's now 2 empty prime spaces in the Main part of Westport now empty.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Warehouse on Broadway for sale. $2.2M, "fully built out music venue," UR zoning. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3951-Br ... /30823842/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40 am Update: Renovating the Warwick Theater for the Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre.

http://kcstudio.org/renovating-metropol ... e-theatre/
The Warwick Theater was damaged by fire early this morning.

https://www.kctv5.com/2024/02/07/kcfd-b ... k-theatre/
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

From what I could tell, the façade is fine. They better be able to save it...at least the front. I really love that row of facades.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

bspecht wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:10 pm Warehouse on Broadway for sale. $2.2M, "fully built out music venue," UR zoning. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3951-Br ... /30823842/
Would love to see something like the old Riot Room return. Lots of great acts played there & the midtown music scene is lacking.