OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:29 pm Thinking more about what Grid posted about the approach roadways it would be pretty easy to start separating before Paris and then make that Paris on ramp either disabled or reconfigured it would be pretty easy. Reroute Paris traffic to the terminal back upstream somehow.
Plenty of room there to fix everything. The Paris Street exit is not needed. Bern can easily handle the traffic.

Take out the Paris Street exist (except maybe the bridge deck see below) and pull back the exits for the arrivals and departures to about where the current Paris St exit is giving arrivals and departures a lot more separation and room.

At about that same area , add an additional lane that will eventually turn into two additional lanes for a short period on the left side for all vehicles going to the garage. One of the lanes would become dedicated only for buses/uber etc and the other will be for cars going to park.

Use the existing Paris street bridge, which will no longer be connected to anything, for a new U-turn ramp for vehicles returning to terminal.

And for the love of god, install some better wayfinding signage. Even the rental car return is barely noticeable. I know KCI like the back of my hand and even I don't get the rental car return signs.

Why in the world do the big signs around KCI not say more about what is going on.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3105834 ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3090824 ... ?entry=ttu

Finally a small mention of where the rental car return is.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3084089 ... ?entry=ttu

then nothing again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3066931 ... ?entry=ttu

This is what airport signage should look like
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7034861 ... ?entry=ttu
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't the rental car bus need Paris? Id agree everything else can use bern.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:01 pm Doesn't the rental car bus need Paris? Id agree everything else can use bern.
No, they use Bern most of the time. Mainly for the reasons why Paris needs to go. They have more room to merge especially going back to the terminal where if they used Paris, they would have to cross over to the left very quickly to get to the garage.

They might use Paris, but every time I have used them, they use Bern.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Overheard on flight from midway on Southwest had several connecting passengers. El Paso and OKC. They were trying to rush and get off the plane because they were nervous about connection times at unfamiliar airport. Gates were right next to each other.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:31 pm Overheard on flight from midway on Southwest had several connecting passengers. El Paso and OKC. They were trying to rush and get off the plane because they were nervous about connection times at unfamiliar airport. Gates were right next to each other.

KC > Midway > to OKC or the opposite? KC doesnt have flights to El Paso or OKC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

langosta wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:49 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:31 pm Overheard on flight from midway on Southwest had several connecting passengers. El Paso and OKC. They were trying to rush and get off the plane because they were nervous about connection times at unfamiliar airport. Gates were right next to each other.

They don't fly MDW to El Paso either. At least not at the moment.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

dev49 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:43 pm
langosta wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:49 pm

They don't fly MDW to El Paso either. At least not at the moment.
Sorry looking back at the flight schedules it was Albuquerque and San Antonio, TX transfers. MDW > MCI > ABQ & San Antonio
Sani
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Sani »

Agree about the roadway signage. I get that it's KCI's heritage that they named the streets after all the world capitals we were supposed to have direct service to with TWA 747s and all that, but the names should be secondary to the things that are reached at that exit.

The overhead exit sign for Bern Street should be much bigger and say::
Bern Street
Cell Phone Lot
Economy Parking (right arrow here)
Taxi/Limo/Rideshare
Marriott Hotel

And it should have a sign next to it that reads:
Paris Street
Rental Car Return
Fuel
Post Office
NEXT EXIT

Maybe I'll try to draw up what I'm thinking in SignMaker or something and post it.

Edit: I did the thing

Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I approve of your idea for a change. Makes things nice and clear.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Sani wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:39 am Agree about the roadway signage. I get that it's KCI's heritage that they named the streets after all the world capitals we were supposed to have direct service to with TWA 747s and all that, but the names should be secondary to the things that are reached at that exit.

The overhead exit sign for Bern Street should be much bigger and say::
Bern Street
Cell Phone Lot
Economy Parking (right arrow here)
Taxi/Limo/Rideshare
Marriott Hotel

And it should have a sign next to it that reads:
Paris Street
Rental Car Return
Fuel
Post Office
NEXT EXIT

Maybe I'll try to draw up what I'm thinking in SignMaker or something and post it.

Edit: I did the thing

Perfect!

You did what I was too lazy to do. Why the professional airport designers didn't do this, I have no idea.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Neat view of the terminal. In this view the roads look to have enough room, but I still think the departures and arrivals split should be further back and the lanes to the garage should be more stand alone lanes and also split off from further back.

Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Seems the recently announced Delta changes to both lounge access and status might hurt them from initial public feedback and perception. I doubt this will effect Deltas viability overall, but at their medium focus cities (like MCI) where they don’t have a foothold or dominance of the market, I can see this driving some folks to other airline options. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would say it makes me want to drop my platinum card, but there are other lounges available. Problem with being based in KC is its hard to build a loyalty program when you fly to a lot of different cities. Half the time on Delta, the other half united. Unless I want multi segment flights. Which I dont.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

:?:
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:12 pm Seems the recently announced Delta changes to both lounge access and status might hurt them from initial public feedback and perception. I doubt this will effect Deltas viability overall, but at their medium focus cities (like MCI) where they don’t have a foothold or dominance of the market, I can see this driving some folks to other airline options. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
Deltas free WiFi rollout will keep me. I find they are as fast or faster then most airlines paid services. Planes are usually nicer compared to American and United too. Even if I’m not getting upgraded the Delta economy experience is the best if any airline out of KC right now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Evergy to Lead Group Building Massive KCI Solar Farm

Plan Calls for Largest Solar Array at Any U.S. Airport
Kansas City officials have struck an agreement with a local consortium led by Evergy, the dominant electric utility in the region, to develop a massive solar power generating installation at the new Kansas City International Airport.
The city will not own the solar farm but receive $300,000 a year in rent on the land at KCI used for the development, Platt said.
This project could produce up to 500 (megawatts) of electricity, enough to power the equivalent of up to 70,000 average size homes,” the city said in a press release.
https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/ever ... olar-farm/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^
Could we do something like this with the solar farm?

An all-in-one solar-powered tower makes carbon-neutral jet fuel a reality
https://interestingengineering.com/inno ... eutral-jet
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:12 pm Seems the recently announced Delta changes to both lounge access and status might hurt them from initial public feedback and perception. I doubt this will effect Deltas viability overall, but at their medium focus cities (like MCI) where they don’t have a foothold or dominance of the market, I can see this driving some folks to other airline options. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
There is another website, flyer ahem talk, which discusses these matters ad nauseum.

Let me add, that as someone who flies 200k miles per year (mostly domestic) and MCI is my 2d most frequent destination, the build-out of the Delta SkyClub was enticing. But now, DL has limited its club access so restrictively that we free agents will not see the inside of it (I have status with all 3, but highest with AA because I live in South Florida). I currently have AA [Admirals] club access through a Citibank card and UA club through an Air Canada promotion.

This is not an earth-shaking deal, but if AA or UA ever wanted to strike while the iron was hot, now would be the time to rollout their own club in KC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:57 pm ^^
Could we do something like this with the solar farm?

An all-in-one solar-powered tower makes carbon-neutral jet fuel a reality
https://interestingengineering.com/inno ... eutral-jet
I have to think this is the easiest path forward for most renewables. This and liquid hydrogen production.

There are currently enough renewable projects waiting to get online to produce about twice as much power as we currently consume as a nation.* The only thing holding them back is access to the grid, both because of regulatory hurdles and sometimes enormous expense. These problems aren't getting solved anytime soon as our grid is poorly designed for this type of power generation. So anything that does come online, but cannot connect to the grid, should probably be employed in making alternative fuels.

*This is an approximation, I didn't go back and research for exact numbers.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Except when, in 100 years, everything is powered and created by pulling carbon dioxide out of the air and all the plants on Earth start dying.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The solar farm at kci is interesting. Recently there have been a lot of data center proposed for the area. These take an enormous amount of energy and also require guaranteed power.

The companies are also under pressure to be carbon neutral.

So what they often do is invest in offsets and make guarantee purchases of wind or solar. I think this would be a great opportunity to leverage that.