Sandwich Tour of Kansas City

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Sandwich Tour of Kansas City

Post by KC1963 »

I grew up in KC and was a feral child with the freedom to take a bus that went right in front of our house in Prairie Village and all the way downtown via the Plaza and Westport.

Being raised by a single father that wasn't much of a cook meant we ate out often and conveniently. I had the freedom to travel to downtown and go the KCAC where he would then come and play handball and then grab a bite on the way home.

Going back to the 1980s I imagined having my own "Sandwich Tour" where I could highlight the best sandwiches in KC. Most of these places didn't make it to today and likely there are better now but these all would have been included in my list.

Mario's Grinder - the sausage and mozzarella one and a side of their pasta salad
Tenderloin Grill - mustard, hot sauce and onion - eat it there and then order a 2nd one, hot and crispy is the way to go (very unhealthy though)
Red Front Inn - we had these almost every Saturday - grilled Italian sausage, marinara and onion on Italian bread
(Can't recall the name) - the Greek place just south of Westport Road and Broadway late 70s - great gyros
Rosedale, Bryant's, Gates, BBQ sandwiches at any of these in a pinch
Harris BBQ - 24th and Brooklyn - the best BBQ ever in KC - it was revolting to watch them serve it but no denying how good it was. I still haven't tasted any BBQ better than Harris was mid 1980s.
Kelly's Deli - before it was pizza they had great steamed sandwiches. Huge selection of deli meats, cheeses and breads.
LaSala's on 5th - often rumored to be a laundry for mob money they served giant sandwiches for insanely low prices. The suits lined up there in the 80s.
Not really sandwich places but KC used to have some outstanding bagels - the best probably Jersey Shore on Johnson Drive, Brookside's Bagel and Bagel (pre-Einstein) and NY Deli on Troost
NY Deli - Reuben OMFG! (but not as good as NYC's Katz's)

Would love to see other people's lists and where to go today. Coming to KC in Oct for Chiefs/Broncos and at least 2 meals while there and taking some KC back with me.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Sandwich Tour of Kansas City

Post by Cratedigger »

Had the Rueben at Browne’s for lunch today and the Baltimore Club from Milwaukee Deli last night. The two best sandwiches in KC in my opinion
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:48 pm Had the Rueben at Browne’s for lunch today and the Baltimore Club from Milwaukee Deli last night. The two best sandwiches in KC in my opinion
I am definitely a Pastrami Rueben guy so Milwaukee Deli might be the best choice for me. Thanks for the tip.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I like Grinders. Both their Downtown and Lenexa locations are good.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Pigwich
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Different than the sandwiches mentioned, but Bella Napoli has sone good sandwiches. Fresh ingredients, mozzarella, basil, etc. Not meat focused but still good.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Bay Boy Sandwich - The bread is a dutch crunch tiger roll, very tasty

Briet's Stein in KCK - Great Rueben and Mac Salad, its also super cheap, i think its like 5-6 bucks
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:12 am Bay Boy Sandwich - The bread is a dutch crunch tiger roll, very tasty

Briet's Stein in KCK - Great Rueben and Mac Salad, its also super cheap, i think its like 5-6 bucks
These are quality recommendations
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

2 good spots in the Northland if you make it up here. Great Italian Deli called Giovani's. The Ross Special or Italian club are great. Giant portions and the place is as close to an old school family joint as I can remember. The other is the Italian Sausage Company. It's a lunch only place but outstanding sandwiches. Oh and is you ever ate at Scimecas back in the day they have open a new, lunch only, Scimecas Deli in North Kansas City
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The Dutch crunch bread with anything from Bay Boy is spectacular. Crazy that we've had something in KC that folks in Chicago & NYC are clamoring for.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

We might have to stay for a week with all of these great recommendations. Thanks all.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:12 am Briet's Stein in KCK - Great Rueben and Mac Salad, its also super cheap, i think its like 5-6 bucks
It's been at least 10-12 years since I've been, but I feel like the first time I went it seemed like they were using Boar's Head or something, and I was like, "but I could do this it home..." yet then it was shockingly good somehow, so I kept coming back until my office relocated out of downtown KCK.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Seconding the Bay Boy recommendation, and adding two more:

- King G
- Happy Gillis
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Tried Bay Boy the other night. It is as advertised.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Guys is surprisingly good for being a chip brand that now has sub shops popping up. The club from their crossroads bodega hasn’t let me down yet, plus great chips every time.