Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by alejandro46 »

I'm not sure how exactly but team should have noted in a better way that the stadium design itself is just a placeholder/concept to show location and district design - it says it directly under the renderings. Note to all the Facebookers and Reddit people yelling about the loss of "CrownVision" etc. Maybe they should have just photoshopped Kauffman on that location LOL.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am The team should have noted in a better way that the stadium design itself is just a placeholder/concept to show location and district design. Note to all the Facebookers and Reddit people yelling about the loss of "CrownVision" etc.
I was just about to post this. They did put it on each slide but still they had to know people were going to gravitate to the stadium itself. The neighborhood layout isn't as important to people but how the fountains and crown vision are represented is going to be really torn apart when any picture comes out.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The thing i hated most about Cleveland and Detroit was the scoreboard not being in center field. Third base side in both of those stadiums required far too much head-turning.

Minor issue, I know.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:44 am
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am The team should have noted in a better way that the stadium design itself is just a placeholder/concept to show location and district design. Note to all the Facebookers and Reddit people yelling about the loss of "CrownVision" etc.
I was just about to post this. They did put it on each slide but still they had to know people were going to gravitate to the stadium itself. The neighborhood layout isn't as important to people but how the fountains and crown vision are represented is going to be really torn apart when any picture comes out.
Yes, 100%. This seems like such a strange way to go about this with the public. At a minimum don't release renderings until you've picked a site and have at least a basic concept of what the stadium will look like (I assume this is the case for EV). Similar to say P&L and Sprint Center.

These are wildly different concepts and locations. I guess, again, it just points to EV being the "realistic" option they have been more or less decided on for a couple of years.

For example the NKC stadium design "requires" the demolition of multiple entire intact blocks of downtown NKC, some currently occupied by various retail businesses (First Watch, Helzberg Diamonds HQ, etc.), to build the theater and public plaza/stadium entrance. Removing that requirement would significantly change the stadium design/concept.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah they should have just done aerial site design and maybe renderings of the surround and then say renderings of stadium will come once site is picked. These fake renderings (now the 3rd 4th floating around) just confuses people.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

I think I'm in the minority here, but I think the NKC site stadium looks way too corporate for me. Also looks quite a bit larger. I like the less corporate more baseball look of the EV site. If any of that makes sense.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:09 am Yes, 100%. This seems like such a strange way to go about this with the public.
I heard a theory on twitter that the Royals purposely puffed the NKC site so that it would put more pressure on Jackson County to start stepping up after everyone goes "ooooh the NKC one is much better"
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Also, FWIW, a poll from a large Royals account shows Downtown winning by a lot over NKC: https://twitter.com/RoyalsFarm/status/1 ... 72864?s=20
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bhedges1987 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:18 am I think I'm in the minority here, but I think the NKC site stadium looks way too corporate for me. Also looks quite a bit larger. I like the less corporate more baseball look of the EV site. If any of that makes sense.
I think that's a largely majority opinion
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:26 am Also, FWIW, a poll from a large Royals account shows Downtown winning by a lot over NKC: https://twitter.com/RoyalsFarm/status/1 ... 72864?s=20
Post the results, Twitter hides results if don't have an account
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dnweava wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:51 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:26 am Also, FWIW, a poll from a large Royals account shows Downtown winning by a lot over NKC: https://twitter.com/RoyalsFarm/status/1 ... 72864?s=20
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dnweava wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:51 am
North KC: 16%
Downtown: 45%
Stay At K: 31%
Move To Nashville: 8%

2,502 votes cast
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Twitter polls aren't accurate since they can be influenced by people who live outside of an area. That question about Nashville was tossed in because of the White Sox.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

bhedges1987 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:18 am the NKC site stadium looks way too corporate for me. Also looks quite a bit larger. I like the less corporate more baseball look of the EV site.
Yes, the NKC almost looks oval shaped like a soccer stadium instead of a baseball stadium, huh? Interesting?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am Maybe they should have just photoshopped Kauffman on that location LOL.
That would basically be ideal.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am I'm not sure how exactly but team should have noted in a better way that the stadium design itself is just a placeholder/concept to show location and district design - it says it directly under the renderings. Note to all the Facebookers and Reddit people yelling about the loss of "CrownVision" etc. Maybe they should have just photoshopped Kauffman on that location LOL.
That's for sure: The bottom pic of Sprint Center was what was voted on. The EV site will likely turn out nothing like the renderings. Only land use will be about the same. But even that should be very different. The EV needs housing. The last thing it needs is more office space. The gov district is dead enough with office space. EV needs lots of residential or hotels like what is around Petco Field in San Diego.

Last edited by GRID on Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I bet it ends up being a cross between the two stadiums. But they still have some work to do to make this KC stadium more unique and make sure it will stand the test of time. I go to lots of Nats games and enjoy them, but the stadium is generic as hell.

KC needs more fountains, a more pronounced scoreboard etc and I still say it needs to be rotated more to at least the southwest, if not the west (where buildings are blocking most of the setting sun) and know that can be done if they really wanted to. I really don't like how the EV stadium faces absolutely nothing but maybe a future midrise.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:21 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 am I'm not sure how exactly but team should have noted in a better way that the stadium design itself is just a placeholder/concept to show location and district design - it says it directly under the renderings. Note to all the Facebookers and Reddit people yelling about the loss of "CrownVision" etc. Maybe they should have just photoshopped Kauffman on that location LOL.
That's for sure: The bottom pic of Sprint Center was what was voted on. The EV site will likely turn out nothing like the renderings. Only land use will be about the same. But even that should be very different. The EV needs housing. The last thing it needs is more office space. The gov district is dead enough with office space. EV needs lots of residential or hotels like what is around Petco Field in San Diego.

The original design versus what we got for Sprint Center was what came to mind when TheUrbanRoo said the design was far too basic. FRhe final Sprint center design we got (a squat marshmallow) is not what people expected given the locally based “dream team” that designed it. It is based on the budget, not their design abilities. I’m not holding my breath that the design gets more elaborate from here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is no way they are facing it west nor should they. Horrible for the batter and for what?

The pics yesterday have nothing to do with stadium building design though. They keep saying that and we stated it multiple times in here
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just in Denver. Nothing in the outfield building wise. Everyone love Coors field. Being downtown not seeing downtown is the key to a good urban stadium.

Wrigley and Fenway also come to mind.