OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by langosta »

alejandro46 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:18 pm The CLEAR staffers walking their customers up and delaying pre check line is annoying and causing some delay. I could see how it’d be an issue if it was a peak time.

I understand they are paying for special treatment. But it shouldn’t be done in a way that slows everybody else down.
That’s how clear works at other airports.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Clear overall is so dumb. I was just in Denver and the clear people told us to go over to normal precheck as they were faster.

I think in general kci needs a couple more agents working than they do
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:06 pm Amazon palm scanner blocked off at leagues "because we don't want no palm reading devices" according to bartender
Is... is that up to them?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought it was weird too. I didn't probe, I honestly didn't understand what was disabled until I saw that device at the Amazon store and I put 2 and 2 together. At first I didn't really understand what she told me.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bspecht wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:29 pm Minor annoyances flying out today:
- Walking 300 yards to get to the end of the nearly empty TSA queue.
I've noticed this the last 6 or 7 times I've flown out of KC. Much larger airports do a better job and it's such an easy fix. You simply open up a shorter lane allowing guests to bypass about 10 rows of unnecessary stanchions until it gets busy. Early weekday flights out of Vegas, PHX, LAX etc all do this, not sure why they can't figure that out here.

My only guess is that it prevents the line from backing up because people have to wait less in line due to longer walks.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The queue barriers were disconnected at the end of the initial run, so now you only have to double back once instead of doing the mouse maze. Seems they’re working to acknowledge and work on feedback well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Just got back from KC. Thought I would say a few things once again about KCI.

Once again, the rental car shuttles are much better. I still have not had any more issues with that and it was a huge problem before.

The terminal is really busy and almost seems crowded. Honestly, I really think they could have made the entire place about 50% larger. And that is with what seems like not a lot ton of gates being used. Nothing can be done about that, but I still think they made it too small. Maybe that's just me.

The approach lanes to departures and arrivals are way too short. The split from departures and arrivals should be back at another 1/4 mile or so. That can be fixed though if they ever redo the road systems around the terminal.

All the retail/services seemed to be pretty busy throughout the airport. So all the people that said people will not shop or dine at KCI can eat their words.

The view from the moving walkways out to the gates is nice, but right outside the windows is a flat roof. That is not going to age well at all and will start getting dirty and ugly. It would have been nice if something more was done there, but pretty minor thing I guess.

It's sill kind of confusing to find TSA pre and there always seems to be people without TSA pre in the que.

Overall, it was a good experience again. It's a nice terminal. Nothing exciting, but generally pretty functional with decent amenities.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:37 pm Just got back from KC. Thought I would say a few things once again about KCI.

Once again, the rental car shuttles are much better. I still have not had any more issues with that and it was a huge problem before.

The terminal is really busy and almost seems crowded. Honestly, I really think they could have made the entire place about 50% larger. And that is with what seems like not a lot ton of gates being used. Nothing can be done about that, but I still think they made it too small. Maybe that's just me.
KCI is relatively "empty" compared to the capacity the gates/hold lounges have. Ie, We can support closer to 20 million passengers a year. Can't wait to read your comments years down the line after the airlines have expanded.
GRID wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:37 pm All the retail/services seemed to be pretty busy throughout the airport. So all the people that said people will not shop or dine at KCI can eat their words.
Amazes me that busier airports have less food & beverage space. I wonder if they would build a third "node" if they ever build the concourse A expansion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:37 pm Just got back from KC. Thought I would say a few things once again about KCI.

The approach lanes to departures and arrivals are way too short. The split from departures and arrivals should be back at another 1/4 mile or so. That can be fixed though if they ever redo the road systems around the terminal.

All the retail/services seemed to be pretty busy throughout the airport. So all the people that said people will not shop or dine at KCI can eat their words.

The view from the moving walkways out to the gates is nice, but right outside the windows is a flat roof. That is not going to age well at all and will start getting dirty and ugly. It would have been nice if something more was done there, but pretty minor thing I guess.

It's sill kind of confusing to find TSA pre and there always seems to be people without TSA pre in the que.

Overall, it was a good experience again. It's a nice terminal. Nothing exciting, but generally pretty functional with decent amenities.
I've been in the building a dozen times to either fly in or out. I've never felt it feel "too" busy but it does feel active. Id classify too busy as hard to get around concourse, lines for bathrooms, nowhere to sit at gates, nowhere to sit for food or drink. I've never experienced any of those things or even close.

Agreed on the flat roof outside the connector. Someone earlier mentioned a living garden there would be cool. Agreed with that

I do agree splitting the roadway earlier would help.. definitely tell it was made to fit the space. It seems to be working fine times I've picked people up. It it's not ideal.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:50 am Agreed on the flat roof outside the connector. Someone earlier mentioned a living garden there would be cool. Agreed with that
Yes, green roof! Some low-maintenance, properly regional prairie grasses and wildflowers. As I mentioned before, this seems like pretty low-hanging fruit, especially in a LEED-certified building. There has to be some reason it wasn't part of the initial design...maybe just cost?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:50 am

I've been in the building a dozen times to either fly in or out. I've never felt it feel "too" busy but it does feel active. Id classify too busy as hard to get around concourse, lines for bathrooms, nowhere to sit at gates, nowhere to sit for food or drink. I've never experienced any of those things or even close.

Agreed on the flat roof outside the connector. Someone earlier mentioned a living garden there would be cool. Agreed with that

I do agree splitting the roadway earlier would help.. definitely tell it was made to fit the space. It seems to be working fine times I've picked people up. It it's not ideal.
It's not "too busy" now, but parts of the terminal seem pretty close to capacity (mostly B concourse). I only mention this because I wonder if the terminal actually will feel cramped if more flights start getting added. On the positive side, the compact design keeps all the retail pretty close to anybody in the terminal which will make that more successful.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

There is more than enough seating in the concourses and room to walk in the "limbs" of the terminals. The only place I see any congestion is in the nodes where the terminals split off. People walking to Terminal B seem to walk directly into people waiting for coffee orders or checking gates, shopping, etc. I wonder if when the passenger counts double if they will remove some of the retail from those areas to free up traffic flow and move those businesses somewhere else. This could be either further into the terminals or larger retail along the conveyor connector. Of course, this would be part of a first remodel/expansion. Has there been any plans on what expansion of the airport looks like once we pass current capacity?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Shooting the A concourse out towards where old B stands now is the first expansion. It might even be already happening as soon as they clear B, can't remember for sure
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:16 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:50 am

It's not "too busy" now, but parts of the terminal seem pretty close to capacity (mostly B concourse). I only mention this because I wonder if the terminal actually will feel cramped if more flights start getting added. On the positive side, the compact design keeps all the retail pretty close to anybody in the terminal which will make that more successful.
I think traffic would start to "expand" down the concourses. Most sources cite 8-9 flights per gate per day on average. Conceivably, on peak days Southwest's leased gates are nearing capacity but there are plenty of nearby underutilized or unused entirely gates. This would be less of an issue if there were more retail and sitting space along the connector.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:32 pm Shooting the A concourse out towards where old B stands now is the first expansion. It might even be already happening as soon as they clear B, can't remember for sure
Reposting from upthread

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:29 pm There is more than enough seating in the concourses and room to walk in the "limbs" of the terminals. The only place I see any congestion is in the nodes where the terminals split off. People walking to Terminal B seem to walk directly into people waiting for coffee orders or checking gates, shopping, etc. I wonder if when the passenger counts double if they will remove some of the retail from those areas to free up traffic flow and move those businesses somewhere else. This could be either further into the terminals or larger retail along the conveyor connector. Of course, this would be part of a first remodel/expansion. Has there been any plans on what expansion of the airport looks like once we pass current capacity?
Those are the areas I'm talking about. The actual gate areas seem fine or just like any other airport. For a brand new terminal, the common areas like the "nodes" or whatever seem small.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:08 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:29 pm There is more than enough seating in the concourses and room to walk in the "limbs" of the terminals. The only place I see any congestion is in the nodes where the terminals split off. People walking to Terminal B seem to walk directly into people waiting for coffee orders or checking gates, shopping, etc. I wonder if when the passenger counts double if they will remove some of the retail from those areas to free up traffic flow and move those businesses somewhere else. This could be either further into the terminals or larger retail along the conveyor connector. Of course, this would be part of a first remodel/expansion. Has there been any plans on what expansion of the airport looks like once we pass current capacity?
Those are the areas I'm talking about. The actual gate areas seem fine or just like any other airport. For a brand new terminal, the common areas like the "nodes" or whatever seem small.
I think its a sample bias. The only other new airport terminals are major hubs. The last O&D airports to get a new terminal were IND and MSY and i'd say we have similar sized food/retail programs
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:22 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:08 pm
I think its a sample bias. The only other new airport terminals are major hubs. The last O&D airports to get a new terminal were IND and MSY and i'd say we have similar sized food/retail programs
Well it's not a big deal, KCI now has more food options than a ton of airports I have used including bigger ones. Mainly because they are often so big that the food they do have is in a different terminal or something. It's really nice to have choices there now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Meat mitch is pretty good at the airport. Platter definitely enough for 2 people.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thinking more about what Grid posted about the approach roadways it would be pretty easy to start separating before Paris and then make that Paris on ramp either disabled or reconfigured it would be pretty easy. Reroute Paris traffic to the terminal back upstream somehow.