Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:48 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:58 pm So when does 4 light start?
I would guess 16-24 months after they release a rendering.
In a perfect world, they'd like to be opening a new building every 16-20 months but once again, it's entirely based on occupancy rates. They always have the renderings, plans and project nearly ready to go months before a shovel hits the ground. One big waiting game.

Side note: IMHO, 3L is by far the best looking one yet.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:20 pm
In a perfect world, they'd like to be opening a new building every 16-20 months but once again, it's entirely based on occupancy rates. They always have the renderings, plans and project nearly ready to go months before a shovel hits the ground. One big waiting game.
But shouldn’t they have a very good idea by now on how fast one of their buildings lease up. Why wait for almost full lease before even announcing the next build? The track record for the market is strong and very consistent. The risk is fairly minimal starting before large block leased out.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:39 pm

But shouldn’t they have a very good idea by now on how fast one of their buildings lease up. Why wait for almost full lease before even announcing the next build? The track record for the market is strong and very consistent. The risk is fairly minimal starting before large block leased out.
Considering that over 60% of the people who move into one of the new buildings are new to the metro, I don't know how you predict or anticipate that short of something opening up that will bring in high paid workers close or in downtown?

Worst case scenario is over building and heavily discounting or leaving half the building empty. The margins are very tight on these types of buildings and in this market where "market rate" scares most people. They can start building within 90 days once they say go. At that point, it's just permits.

I'm over simplifying this a bit, of course they're looking at every metric and anxiously waiting to build.

The development nerds like us will never be happy with the pace. I'm different in thinking what they've been able to do in 15 years is impressive. I've lived down here through every single step and it seems like there's been almost constant construction minus a few years between 2008 and 2012.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:12 pm I thought that was going to be a map of the central city or something. This is okay, but I liked the map idea better.
100% agree. The map looked big city-er than uh, the lyrics to “going to kansas city”. Disappointing but I guess easy to change in the future.

Or it’ll become a surprise beloved landmark?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Agree - think they’ve improved design each iteration
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:46 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:12 pm I thought that was going to be a map of the central city or something. This is okay, but I liked the map idea better.
100% agree. The map looked big city-er than uh, the lyrics to “going to kansas city”. Disappointing but I guess easy to change in the future.

Well the stupid cowboy sign is still towering over the P&L district, so I guess I better get used to this too lol. It's not as bad as the cowboy sign I guess.

I was looking forward to that map graphic...
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:03 pm

Well the stupid cowboy sign is still towering over the P&L district, so I guess I better get used to this too lol. It's not as bad as the cowboy sign I guess.

Could see this corner going away post-loop cap park replaced with a large format LED screen
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:43 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:03 pm

Could see this corner going away post-loop cap park replaced with a large format LED screen
Exactly.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

On a passing glance, it looks like someone’s unfurled a protest banner. Strange design choice.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How many miles is this from 12th & Vine? "Everythings up to date in Kansas City" might have been better, or 12th Street Rag is closer geographically. Static song lyrics without the actual music is lame.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's the lyrics to the most famous song about Kansas City. It's a part of our culture. Some people won't get that, but anyone with knowledge of music will.

People visit Eqypt and don't understand what hieroglyphics are depicting or the story they are telling. It doesn't stop people from looking at it and asking what it means.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Just so you understand and know what it means--"hieroglyphic" is an adjective and the noun would be hieroglyphs. Sounds pedantic but its not. Just sharing information.
Maybe Cordish could hire people to dress up like the Live! cowboys and stand on the corner under the lyrics every noon and sing KC Here I Come. Or a sax.
The arrangement of the script repeats twice KANSAS CITY KANSAS.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that is kinda weird and definitely temporary looking
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

~99 units listed as available on leasing website.
However, ThreeLightKC.com shows the exact opposite showing 99 as leased.

66% leased vs 33% but both are good for a building not yet open.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:59 pm

It's the best above the parking pedestal, ground floor TBD. But, I can't get over the yellow/brown garage cover. It's just so 70s and doesn't match the blue/grays of the rest of the building. It's a small thing but I find it oddly off-putting.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:35 am
Cratedigger wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:59 pm

It's the best above the parking pedestal, ground floor TBD. But, I can't get over the yellow/brown garage cover. It's just so 70s and doesn't match the blue/grays of the rest of the building. It's a small thing but I find it oddly off-putting.
Fingers crossed Main & Southsides can be replaced with video walls
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

We don’t need large tv screens like Times Square. That gimmick won’t fly here. The P&L District has three outward facing tv screens (one on Main, one on Two Light facing south, one on Grand). That’s plenty for advertising. No more gimmicks.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’m not sure why that “gimmick” couldn’t fly here. Lots of lively places in the world have video billboards
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:11 am I’m not sure why that “gimmick” couldn’t fly here. Lots of lively places in the world have video billboards
I agree, I’d love to have video boards. Would make it so cool.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:17 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:11 am I’m not sure why that “gimmick” couldn’t fly here. Lots of lively places in the world have video billboards
I agree, I’d love to have video boards. Would make it so cool.
Times Square is a mess all around. Was disgusted by it when I visited NYC and vowed that if something similar ever started appearing in St. Louis (when I lived there), or in KC, I’d be vehemently opposed to it and would become the biggest NIMBY around. Big, LED billboards shining advertisements for fast food joints, soda and beer companies, and a variety of performances (some good, some lame), is something meant for NYC and not KC. The signs at P&L are already an annoyance. The entire district would be, in my opinion, ruined by these billboards. Especially the highway park. I rather enjoy a neighborhood and park without having advertisements jammed into my eyes by bright screens. Those trucks that drive around with advertisements are stupid too. Ban those as well.