Drive Thru @ 520 Southwest Blvd.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Drive Thru @ 520 Southwest Blvd.

Post by dnweava »

Plans were submitted to the city. I can't believe another drive thru restaurant is going to be allowed in the urban core.... completely absurd.
smh
Supporter

Re: Drive Thru @ 520 Southwest Blvd.

Post by smh »

M-1.5 zoning strikes again!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Previously being discussed here but probably deserves it's own thread given the drive thru
viewtopic.php?t=5701&start=3300
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:00 pm M-1.5 zoning strikes again!
But it still requires a variance...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Get some funds together to incentivize someone to build something up to the curb that also incorporates a "Welcome to Crossroads" entrance sign.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:01 pm
Oh, does it? I thought it was by right. Glad to hear, sounds like people should let the City know they don't want any drive thrus downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:11 am
Oh, does it? I thought it was by right. Glad to hear, sounds like people should let the City know they don't want any drive thrus downtown.
Actually, you're right. It's moving swiftly.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:20 am
smh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:11 am

Actually, you're right. It's moving swiftly.
Alas, the only time a drive thru moves swiftly is when you don't want it to.

Wasn't there a thread recently about the paucity of fast food near downtown? . Somebody recognizes the demand but it seems a drive thru remains a prerequisite. More foot traffic and the drive thru probably isn't necessary.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It'll probably be a Whataburger. I'm told Mahomes "really wants to be downtown".
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:09 am It'll probably be a Whataburger. I'm told Mahomes "really wants to be downtown".
Put a 24/7 hamburger chain right next to another 24/7 hamburger joint
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:12 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:09 am It'll probably be a Whataburger. I'm told Mahomes "really wants to be downtown".
Put a 24/7 hamburger chain right next to another 24/7 hamburger joint
Faceless corporation attempting to push out a local business? Name a more iconic duo.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I don't think a single one of the out of the box franchise designs Whataburger has would possibly ever fit into that space. The ones here have those stupid Chick-Fil-A style drive thrus with multiple lanes.

Only looks to me like a Scooter's or Dutch Bros could really make anything work in that spot when it comes to chains. I'd love to see something like the Dutch Bros near the Timbers stadium in Portland, OR. One of few locations to have indoor seating & drive thru is bikes only. Doesn't have to be a chain, any coffee shop here could make it work.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:58 pm I don't think a single one of the out of the box franchise designs Whataburger has would possibly ever fit into that space. The ones here have those stupid Chick-Fil-A style drive thrus with multiple lanes.

Only looks to me like a Scooter's or Dutch Bros could really make anything work in that spot when it comes to chains. I'd love to see something like the Dutch Bros near the Timbers stadium in Portland, OR. One of few locations to have indoor seating & drive thru is bikes only. Doesn't have to be a chain, any coffee shop here could make it work.
It would be kinda neat if Spokes or the filling station along gillham did something like that

But I'm skeptical that they could drive enough traffic to make a bike drive thru worth it
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo

"Pancho's is a established local business with 4 restaurants and intends to tear down the existing structure at 520 Southwest Blvd and reconstruct a drive thru and carry out restaurant with limited indoor seating to serve the surrounding neighborhood."
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dnweava wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:04 pm

"Pancho's is a established local business with 4 restaurants and intends to tear down the existing structure at 520 Southwest Blvd and reconstruct a drive thru and carry out restaurant with limited indoor seating to serve the surrounding neighborhood."
IF people want to drive through Panchos they can drive the 5-10 minutes to the other location. They do not need a drive through here
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Drunk food for drunk drivers.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:18 pm
dnweava wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:04 pm

IF people want to drive through Panchos they can drive the 5-10 minutes to the other location. They do not need a drive through here
This one makes sense when the new Pancho's at Linwood and Main has had no movement recently.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:20 pm This one makes sense when the new Pancho's at Linwood and Main has had no movement recently.
That location is called Ranchos and there has been some construction on it recently. When the original location sold for development they bought the old Subway but since developments been delayed on US Bank, perhaps they’ll stay there longer. Southwest Blvd looks to be original Panchos name after a family feud split the establishment.