Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

daGOAT wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:11 pm It might not be iconic due to its lack of history but architecturally speaking it is one of the most beautiful. If KC was a world class mega city the scoreboards backside and the fountains would make it closer to truly being iconic. I think the true factor that keeps it from being a iconic baseball stadium is the Royals didn't have alot of truly great moments or great players in the building.

Besides THE MOST ICONIC stadium in MLB was torn down.

Also Wrigley IS ONLY ICONIC DUE TO AGE the architecture is outdated and the Cubs suck worse than the Cleveland Browns.

Dodger Stadium is more iconic with its history because the Dodgers are a legacy franchise with true longevity and a rabid fan base.
Name the last Dodger to go into the Hall of Fame as a Dodger.

Also, iconic stadiums are only as good as the neighborhoods that surround them. The K, while a great design, missed the mark because of that lack.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:51 am I have been reading a lot of comments about the K re: one of the most iconic MLB stadiums.

Is it actually? I have never heard of anyone say that outside of KC fans. I hear people saying Dodgers, Wrigley, Yankee, Red Sox but I have literally never heard this about Kauffman from anyone who doesn’t live in KC. Am I off base here or are anti new stadium fans overstating things?
It is the basis for every modern stadium design, and is considered the most natural, neutral, unbiased field and tribute to the game that exists.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

im2kull wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:02 pm It is the basis for every modern stadium design, and is considered the most natural, neutral, unbiased field and tribute to the game that exists.
This couldn’t be more false. The only stadium I can think that might copy any piece of the K is the White Sox and that might be the worst non-dome stadium in the nation. Everything Baltimore and newer totally threw the late-60s Royals Stadium era stadiums out the window.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:36 am
shinatoo wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:12 am
The Royals aren't going to stay there so it's a moot point.
Even with no tax support?
They need about the same amount of money to remodel the current stadium. The entire lower bowl likely needs to be rebuilt. So if they don't get tax support from Jackson County they will move to where they can get tax support. There is no long-term scenario that has the Royals staying at TSC.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:17 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:36 am
shinatoo wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:12 am
The Royals aren't going to stay there so it's a moot point.
Even with no tax support?
They need about the same amount of money to remodel the current stadium. The entire lower bowl likely needs to be rebuilt. So if they don't get tax support from Jackson County they will move to where they can get tax support. There is no long-term scenario that has the Royals staying at TSC.
agreed, tax support or no tax support the Royals will not be playing in TSC a decade from now. KC has a big decision to make. Do we want a baseball team or not.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:52 pm
im2kull wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:02 pm
langosta wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:51 am I have been reading a lot of comments about the K re: one of the most iconic MLB stadiums.

Is it actually? I have never heard of anyone say that outside of KC fans. I hear people saying Dodgers, Wrigley, Yankee, Red Sox but I have literally never heard this about Kauffman from anyone who doesn’t live in KC. Am I off base here or are anti new stadium fans overstating things?
It is the basis for every modern stadium design, and is considered the most natural, neutral, unbiased field and tribute to the game that exists.
Can you clarify? I guess it started the trend of single use stadiums back up in an era of mixed sports. Can’t say anything at Kauffman reminds me of other stadiums I’ve visited
That and more. Literally everything else at the time was a cookie cutter round stadium and/or dome. Kauffman helped changed that, so much so that folks can't even recognize how different things used to be!

"It is often held up along with Dodger Stadium (1962) in Los Angeles as one of the best examples of modernist stadium design."

https://sabr.org/bioproj/park/kauffman- ... s-city-mo/
http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/KauffmanStadium.html
https://www.mlb.com/royals/history/ballparks
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

All of these new stadiums, inspired by Camden Yards, all kind of run together now unless they are in a unique urban setting (STL, PITT). Kauffman is unique in that aspect. They are mostly pretty boring throwback stadiums, which is fine.

I LOVE this stadium currently under construction in Hokkaido, Japan. New home of the Ham Fighters.

Hoping we get something super modern, or at least along the lines of SoFi and Allegiant.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:13 am

It’s not. KC fans are delusional about it.

Wrigley & Fenway are the only two truly iconic stadiums in MLB.
Nope and nope. Probably 90% of baseball people hold Kauffman in very high regard. Iconic? No, but it is as close to universally loved in baseball as any park with the obvious exceptions.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

People hold it, Dodger Stadium, & Angel Stadium in the same regard of highly renovated 60s baseball only parks, built in the style of the cookie cutter. They actually turned out a lot better than the multiuse ones. But I feel like no one would really fight too hard to replace all 3, not the same way people fight for Fenway & Wrigley to remain.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That is apparent from or current situation.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The Chiefs are staying their stadium can be renovated to last another 25 years. Built at the same time as the Royals Stadium, built by the same contractor, designed by the same architect, used the same materials, and so on. And yet the Royals need a new stadium because their current stadium has deteriorated to the point that the cost is too high to renovate. Interesting. This can't help the Royals in the discussion of a need for a new stadium.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ch ... 7286&ei=27
"Speaking after his team’s first full training camp practice on Sunday, Chiefs owner and CEO Clark Hunt expressed optimism that the team could renovate Arrowhead, rather than build a new stadium.
“We do feel optimistic about that,” Hunt told reporters at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph. “We spent a couple [of] years studying the structural integrity of the stadium — and earlier this year, we preliminarily concluded that Arrowhead could be renovated and extend the life for up to another 25 years.”
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Letter from John Sherman this AM: 30 days to go?

https://twitter.com/royals/status/16838 ... RPpXS0iFBA
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm happy that we're starting to see their pitch be made to the community. The economic benefits in particular are key and even their website mentions that the will include affordable housing options. I'm curious to see the renderings and if they have two different sets made (one for each site). I imagine well be able to tell which site had more thought put into it by the way the renderings are (if they have two different sets made).
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I hope they turn the Ingredion circular smokestacks into the Royals scoreboard.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC tied with Phoenix for the nation’s top heat index today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... EAAA%3D%3D\

How many of you would go to a baseball game in this heat?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highlander wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:22 pm
Imarealperson wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:10 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:29 pm

Don't you read?

viewtopic.php?t=21355

Kansas City summers could be as hot as 125 degrees in the next 30 years, study finds

https://www.kansascity.com/news/weather ... 72861.html

Kansas City will likely suffer 'off the charts' heat in the next 30 years, new study predicts

https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-08-16/ka ... y-predicts

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... years-ago/

https://apnews.com/article/climate-unit ... 88b37a690e

https://fox4kc.com/weather/this-could-b ... sion-cuts/

Eastern Kansas will see dangerously high temperatures by 2053, a new climate study predicts

https://www.cjonline.com/story/news/sta ... 349632002/

An "Extreme Heat Belt" will soon emerge in the U.S., study warns

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/15/extrem ... al-warming

So is an air-conditioned stadium a reasonable thing if this occurs?

Will people sit outside if it's still in the 90s after 8 pm? I doubt it. I've lived in a desert city and people don't go outside when it's still in the 90s in the evening.
Building an indoor Air conditioned stadium based on what the weather may or may not be in 30 years seems…um…not like the best idea.

Also, that said heat index, not temperature. Do you read? Or just browse headlines? Posting multiple news stories of the same study is pretty thorough work. Jesus Christ. Try again.
And I wouldn't put much credence in the articles. Most of those articles were written by journalists who have very little idea of what they are talking about or how modeling works. I have been involved in a lot of scientific modeling over my career. While it wasn't climate modeling, the probability functions all work about the same. When I put the P99 or P1 estimates for a given input into the model, I know these were values that we were unlikely to ever achieve but theoretically still within the realm of possibility (and the output on the high end will be based on many of the higher more unlikely inputs). And in the modeling I did, we had a host of empirical evidence that suggested we knew much about the relationship between what we were modeling and the input data, much more of a handle on the primary relationships than climate scientist have to work with.

While I acknowledge the plausibility and even likelihood of anthropogenic climate change, one has to pay pretty close attention to sort out what journalists report as a distinct possibility rather than an extremely unlikely but perhaps still remotely possible outcome somewhere near the P10 (or P90 depending how one looks at probability) end of the spectrum. I would not base too many future decisions on what I read in such articles.
KC tied with Phoenix for the nation’s top heat index today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... EAAA%3D%3D\

How many of you would go to a baseball game in this heat?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:29 am The Chiefs are staying their stadium can be renovated to last another 25 years. Built at the same time as the Royals Stadium, built by the same contractor, designed by the same architect, used the same materials, and so on. And yet the Royals need a new stadium because their current stadium has deteriorated to the point that the cost is too high to renovate. Interesting. This can't help the Royals in the discussion of a need for a new stadium.
"Speaking after his team’s first full training camp practice on Sunday, Chiefs owner and CEO Clark Hunt expressed optimism that the team could renovate Arrowhead, rather than build a new stadium.
“We do feel optimistic about that,” Hunt told reporters at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph. “We spent a couple [of] years studying the structural integrity of the stadium — and earlier this year, we preliminarily concluded that Arrowhead could be renovated and extend the life for up to another 25 years.”
Wouldn't renovations cost as much as a new stadium? Seems dumb for 25 years after about 10 it will show its age. Ideally Royals move out of Truman Sports Complex Chiefs build a new stadium where Kaffmaun is
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Metro wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:56 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:29 am The Chiefs are staying their stadium can be renovated to last another 25 years. Built at the same time as the Royals Stadium, built by the same contractor, designed by the same architect, used the same materials, and so on. And yet the Royals need a new stadium because their current stadium has deteriorated to the point that the cost is too high to renovate. Interesting. This can't help the Royals in the discussion of a need for a new stadium.
Wouldn't renovations cost as much as a new stadium? Seems dumb for 25 years after about 10 it will show its age. Ideally Royals move out of Truman Sports Complex Chiefs build a new stadium where Kaffmaun is
Obviously you missed the Hunts comments where they mention that they LIKE Arrowhead, and that there's NO reason to move. No structural issues, etc. Concrete structures can last indefinitely if properly cared for.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This was posted on the Kansas City History Geeks' Facebook page today. In 1952, there was a proposal to build a new baseball stadium to replace Municipal Stadium on the riverfront where Berkley Park is now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=72 ... 8199331595