Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by daGOAT »

Imagine KC hosting a super bowl and the Chiefs actually play in the big game that year.

The city would shatter all previous records lol
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I imagine they would add another game to the reg. szn and push the super bowl back 1-2 weeks which would increase likelyhood of decent weather to play in.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Portland poised for swing at MLB
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-p ... -for-swing

Portland showing a downtown stadium proposal with a very interesting form factor. Super narrow to squeeze into city grid with most seats stacked directly behind homeplate, residential/office buildings crowded onto either side.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 pm Portland poised for swing at MLB

Portland showing a downtown stadium proposal with a very interesting form factor. Super narrow to squeeze into city grid with most seats stacked directly behind homeplate, residential/office buildings crowded onto either side.
Would take as a city guy and enjoy as a fan.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 pm Portland poised for swing at MLB

That is actually a really good take on stadium design. That is where you want to sit anyway and it opens up a lot more sites
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KC_Ari wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:59 am

That is actually a really good take on stadium design. That is where you want to sit anyway and it opens up a lot more sites
So, would this footprint fit in any of the alternate downtown locations or existing void spaces downtown like just north of TMobile arena? I don't think East Village would require such a narrow footprint.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Highlander wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:07 am
KC_Ari wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:59 am

So, would this footprint fit in any of the alternate downtown locations or existing void spaces downtown like just north of TMobile arena? I don't think East Village would require such a narrow footprint.
I think it would open up the North Loop lots, which I still think would have been an excellent location.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

The mayor can’t get a grip on crime, do y’all really think the MLB is going to give him the stadium? Keep dreaming Kansas City, that stadium is going up north. Not to mention traffic hell / homeless mecca in downtown Kansas City, the MLB wants no part in that, and a stadium won’t help things. Fix the inner cities problems before you provide baseball to disconnected people who live in suburbia, quit building Kemper arenas.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Noahfleshman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:52 pm The mayor can’t get a grip on crime, do y’all really think the MLB is going to give him the stadium? Keep dreaming Kansas City, that stadium is going up north. Not to mention traffic hell / homeless mecca in downtown Kansas City, the MLB wants no part in that, and a stadium won’t help things. Fix the inner cities problems before you provide baseball to disconnected people who live in suburbia, quit building Kemper arenas.
Lololol. The MLB doesn’t get to dictate, or even opine on, what the owners of the team do with their stadium. If that were the case, Busch Stadium (2006) would’ve never been built in Downtown St. Louis for the same reasons you mentioned. The voters in Jackson County get to decide.

And keep dreaming about it going north to Clay County. They don’t have the tax revenue to help fund it nor do they have the proper infrastructure to support such a stadium.

As far as traffic goes, Downtown KC has the most overbuilt streets for the traffic it gets. A stadium down here makes a ton of sense when you consider bus connections, streetcar, and the numerous highways/major thoroughfares. Newsflash, not everyone wants to drive to a baseball game and drive home just like how not everyone wants to take transit to a game. Downtown KC has plenty of parking to serve those who wish to come by car and has plenty of options for those who wish to come by transit, bike, or foot. North KC lacks the latter.

Bitch all you want about traffic, that’s one thing that won’t be a problem and will be proven as a nothingburger. Crime and homelessness need to be addressed but I assure you, Downtown KC is far safer than Downtown St. Louis as far as homelessness is a concern, it’s an issue all major cities deal with and it’s up to the city to make a good plan to deal with it.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

I don’t want the stadium at all, quit giving tax money to loosing sports teams.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:19 am I don’t want the stadium at all, quit giving tax money to loosing sports teams.
Yeah, because 81 days a year of activity and bringing people from out of town into our downtown would be just DETRIMENTAL. We should definitely just give away the Royals to Portland, Nashville, or any one of the mid-sized cities clamoring for a pro organization, and have no summer sports team, because who needs ‘em?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:19 am I don’t want the stadium at all, quit giving tax money to loosing sports teams.
I'm curious about comments like this. If it was proven to you that money spent on stadiums can generate more money than spent, would you still disagree with it? Is it an ideological point of view or do you feel a bad financial investment expenditure?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Sure. Go ahead and walk back your comments about the MLB not allowing this stadium and that Downtown KC is a mess with crime, traffic and homelessness by aiming your angst towards the tax money (that almost all cities issue to sports teams - win or lose).
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

You’re a cry baby, anytime someone talks bad about sports on this form all of you get so bunched up. I think it’s a terrible investment regardless of how much money it brings to the city because our city isn’t going to use the money wisely they’re just going to continue to put it in their pockets. We should invest that money into schools , museums and parks. The sports teams that make millions of dollars and have millions of dollars in endorsements can pay for themselves. They don’t need our tax money. I don’t care how much money it makes the city it’s a terrible investment. Majority of the people on this form are so far up sports ass that they can’t see the light of day. Crime is skyrocketing homeless is skyrocketing, and all these cities care about across the country is sports. Continue to numb your brains with over paid athletes who don’t care about you..
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:08 am You’re a cry baby, anytime someone talks bad about sports on this form all of you get so bunched up. I think it’s a terrible investment regardless of how much money it brings to the city because our city isn’t going to use the money wisely they’re just going to continue to put it in their pockets. We should invest that money into schools , museums and parks. The sports teams that make millions of dollars and have millions of dollars in endorsements can pay for themselves. They don’t need our tax money. I don’t care how much money it makes the city it’s a terrible investment. Majority of the people on this form are so far up sports ass that they can’t see the light of day. Crime is skyrocketing homeless is skyrocketing, and all these cities care about across the country is sports. Continue to numb your brains with over paid athletes who don’t care about you..
Post of the year!
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Fuck it, just build the new K at legends. Trollol
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This forum is moderated. Calm the fuck down.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:26 am
I'm curious about comments like this. If it was proven to you that money spent on stadiums can generate more money than spent, would you still disagree with it? Is it an ideological point of view or do you feel a bad financial investment expenditure?
How are you going to prove something that isn't true, though?
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

[rimg][/rimg]
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:26 am
Has it been proven? Honestly asking to be educated. Who receives the money generated? I feel like this gets lost sometimes.

My personal issue against using tax payer money has to do with (what I presume) would be an instant boost in value of the team. I don’t feel that I need to help pay for that when I won’t be compensated when they sell.

I agree that it will be great for downtown and will personally go to more games if it is. I guess I feel that’s why they should pay for it themselves…they should put a product out there at a location that supports the investment via ticket sales, suites, non-baseball events, tv revenue etc without government/taxpayer assistance. It’s more nuanced than that but that is the gist of my feelings.

For reference, David Glass bought the Royals for $96 million in 2000 and sold it after only 3 winning seasons including the 1 World Series win for $1 billion to Sherman in 2019. Forbes valued the Royals at $1.2 billion in March 2023.

Edit to add that included the 3 winning season but because someone mentioned not supporting a losing team. I more feel that I have zero trust that their boost in revenue and value would be turned into payroll and a winning team.
Last edited by droopy on Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.