OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by phuqueue »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:08 am I rather our government study a problem we don't understand and develop a workable plan, rather than just making an assumption and start throwing money at it.
The issue is that studies of problems that are already well understood are what the government is throwing all its money at
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

anyways. KCI terminal is pretty cool!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:02 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:50 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:21 pm

I know, that quote had me in stitches. Pete is a scion of what I’m talking about. All the right resume boxes checked, but completely uninterested in exercising power. Would rather outsource a study back to his homies at McKinsey than put words into action.
Pete has very little power over these things. They nominally report to him, but they all serve at the pleasure of the president with the advice and consent of the senate.
I call BS on that. He’s a cabinet level official with a massive portfolio. He has a ton of power not only because of his title but because of his place as a young up and comer in the party. By your logic, why even have a cabinet? If he wanted to be more aggressive on a program of solving problems related to transportation and infrastructure issues he could be mounting a campaign from within his own department to do so. The guy is more interested in backslapping about one bill he did some PR for and ribbon cutting ceremonies, and of course what his next title will be. Personally I think he’s feckless and exemplary of why we can’t build anything anymore.
I think you don’t understand what I’m saying. He can’t appoint the big guys and he can’t fire them. They report to his agency, but they operate independently.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

United Airlines Kansas City line station opened. Not on the UA Tech Ops website yet. Does anyone know which airplanes they service here?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There are now a bunch of temp sandwich board signs around directing to gates and baggage. Wayfinding designer should feel more than little embarrassed this is necessary in and out of the new terminal.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I noticed on Google Maps today that the aerial image for the airport still shows the three horseshoe terminal design. That's odd because last time I checked the airport, Google Maps was showing the new terminal. I've noticed this on Google before, they go to a more modern image of an area and then go back to an older image. Strange practice to show older images when more contemporary ones are available and have already been exhibited.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I do not seen the new terminal on aerial yet. That is weird.

Landed last last night after 11pm. Thought I'd see the famed backup at arrivals but not at all. Only security I saw was helping manage the pedestrian crossing. Lots of blue busses made me reconsider economy parking. Bags beat me there and I was pretty close to the front of the plane and didn't stop at all, I was impressed.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Congrats to the new MCI, best airport in America and probably the world!

https://www.travelawaits.com/2889281/b ... the-world/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just there yesterday and still in shock we have a good normal airport. Just s dang joy to be in
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FYI, KCI/KCAD is one of the parties in the new transit study. They are involved
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Airport was very busy at 12:30 am last night with late flights from around country. A lot of cars parked waiting. Do they have someone maintaining traffic flow during normal hours? Need that if not. No traffic guide there at 12:30 (not surprising for that late), first 2 pickup lanes were parked cars, not normal flow like other airports with this setup.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

earthling wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:53 am Airport was very busy at 12:30 am last night with late flights from around country. A lot of cars parked waiting. Do they have someone maintaining traffic flow during normal hours? Need that if not. No traffic guide there at 12:30 (not surprising for that late), first 2 pickup lanes were parked cars, not normal flow like other airports with this setup.
Most of the time I see police guiding traffic and pedestrians. I have yet to see someone get ticketed which is what really need to start happening. People who abuse the system and get prodded to move along 30 minutes later won’t truly learn until there is a cost.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 am I don’t know full details, I just know that tech ops is coming, not to mention I have seen them around a lot lately. Supposedly United is supposed to get 20+ main lines a day and there’s talks of becoming a line station for UA, although honestly I don’t know, But the things I am saying I have been hearing from other people for the past few months so I don’t know what’s true and what’s not but if I keep hearing the same things over and over and over again I’m going to assume something

The United area manager posted that the Tech Ops Line station opened. I have had pretty legit third party confirmation that UA is looking to expand.

I also was told that Amsterdam and Paris are unlikely in 2024 due to current events. LHR and FRA more likely.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

A direct to London and Paris would be amazing.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

langosta wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:06 pm
Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 am I don’t know full details, I just know that tech ops is coming, not to mention I have seen them around a lot lately. Supposedly United is supposed to get 20+ main lines a day and there’s talks of becoming a line station for UA, although honestly I don’t know, But the things I am saying I have been hearing from other people for the past few months so I don’t know what’s true and what’s not but if I keep hearing the same things over and over and over again I’m going to assume something

The United area manager posted that the Tech Ops Line station opened. I have had pretty legit third party confirmation that UA is looking to expand.

I also was told that Amsterdam and Paris are unlikely in 2024 due to current events. LHR and FRA more likely.
Could you further explain?
- If UA is looking to expand, does that mean new routes or merely additional frequencies?
- Is a UA Club lounge in the works?
- Likelihood of a TATL announcement this fall/winter? Which airline/route do you believe is most likely to launch? Any status info?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

MidtownCat wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:03 pm A direct to London and Paris would be amazing.
+
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

KCI 2nd fastest growing airport in airline seat capacity in US.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

After having to explain to a visiting friend about the whole KCI/MCI thing, I've noticed it looks as if they've completely abandoned "KCI" branding. They appear to be using "Kansas City International Airport" or "MCI." Even the website has headlines like, "MCI welcomes new airline" and "MCI celebrates Father's Day with #MCIFathersDay"

This lead to a conversation about if MoDOT should change all road signs referring to "KCI Airport" to "MCI Airport." While I don't think that's needed, I can't really argue with the my friend about reducing confusion over an airport that no longer referrers to itself as "KCI."
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

moderne wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:12 am KCI 2nd fastest growing airport in airline seat capacity in US.
Shows what a little investment can do. But the ranking also is helped by KC being a much larger metro in rank relative to how busy its airport has been (31st largest metro with 44 busiest airport), so we are just making up for lost time.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:48 am After having to explain to a visiting friend about the whole KCI/MCI thing, I've noticed it looks as if they've completely abandoned "KCI" branding. They appear to be using "Kansas City International Airport" or "MCI." Even the website has headlines like, "MCI welcomes new airline" and "MCI celebrates Father's Day with #MCIFathersDay"

This lead to a conversation about if MoDOT should change all road signs referring to "KCI Airport" to "MCI Airport." While I don't think that's needed, I can't really argue with the my friend about reducing confusion over an airport that no longer referrers to itself as "KCI."
And they updated the website from FlyKCI to just FlyKC. Interesting observation!