Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by herrfrank »

empires228 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm I suppose "Greenfield" would not be the right term. I was more thinking non-adaptive reuse, where no "brownfield," or historic structure causing extenuating circumstances requiring subsidies. I almost feel like in some of these scenarios Dev's are just adding apartments that the market is not demanding just to qualify for incentives. Although the inner amateur urban planner wants more mixed use.
The Mission Shopping Center is obviously older than you think. You have to remember that Macy's anchored an open air mall there for 30 years before it was flooded and rebuilt as the enclosed mall.
Was localized flooding the reason that Mission Center closed and became rebuilt as Mission Mall? This happened in the early 1990s IIRC. That mall almost immediately failed. I would say the tenants were largely out by 2000.

The shopping center was opened around 1970. So that means, this key parcel was in use from 1970-2000, 30 years, less a couple of years for the reconstruction after flooding. Let's call it 28 years of productivity.. And it has been idle now for 23 years and counting. If Mission Gateway doesn't open until 2028, it will have been vacant as long as it was useful.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Retail buildings are often among the most short-lived of buildings in the USA.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Back to the drawing board on this project. Mission KS agreement with developer now terminated.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/fu ... 1oLx4vFpLY

This seems like it would be among the prized development parcels in the metro. It's crazy that it's going back to square one. I'm impressed the people of Mission have been wise enough to just say no to Walmart and other big box proposals for the tract of land.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

With the foreclosure proceedings taking place, it's not unexpected, but the Gateway developers & owner have not paid their property taxes this year. Therefore an event of default was declared in April May, and since the 60 day cure period following the default has now passed, we (the council) opted to terminate the development agreement last evening at a special session.

Of course, this doesn't do anything to accelerate the process of actually developing the property, it simply ends the city's obligations as outlined in the agreement. The immediate future of the property is most likely in the hands of the mortgagee and the courts, and so we have to wait and see what happens.

Happy to answer any questions as best I can, noting again that I can only speak to the facts of the issue as I understand them and my own individual opinion.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It could actually get developed faster with a competent developer than if the City allowed the present developer to limp along forever.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Downtown Mission continues to grow. Mission Gateway aside, I could see it becoming an extremely vibrant place in the next few years.

Residence on Rock Creek Phase 1 (Mission Bowl site). This is 168 apartments as well as some live-work units. 20% of the units are being set aside as affordable @ 60% MFI.

Residence on Rock Creek Phase 2 was presented at the July 24th Planning Commission meeting and will add another 98 apartments and 1750sf of retail space to Martway Street.

A 77-unit apartment building proposal by Moffitt Development at 58th and Nall.

Milhaus is planning a 252-unit development at Martway and Beverly. In order for this project to happen, Beverly Park will be moved a half block south (a land swap deal) so that Milhaus can have more room to develop. Plans are still early for this, so there's really no good site plan, renderings or any sort of plan to access from the Mission City website yet. The site outline comes from the Shawnee-Mission Post, massing from the BizJournal, and rendering from the Mission City website.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Easy to see why this area is attractive to developers. Do these projects get incentives?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:02 pm Easy to see why this area is attractive to developers. Do these projects get incentives?
Residence on Rock Creek Phase 1 got a TIF (hence the 20% of units at 60% AMI). Not sure about the others.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

KCK wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:57 am I say they let the mall go broke, lose all its tenants, then abandon it leaving a giant piece of blight for those people in Mission to look at for the next 10 years. Meanwhile Mission can suffer the plight of other inner ring suburbs which is declining population, increased crime, blight, and abandonment by business.
Well, we're almost at 20 years......granted.....the mall site is blight, but Mission seems to be doing very well for itself.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:34 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:02 pm Easy to see why this area is attractive to developers. Do these projects get incentives?
Residence on Rock Creek Phase 1 got a TIF (hence the 20% of units at 60% AMI). Not sure about the others.
Many/all of these KS projects have incentives. I have not heard of any requiring affordable. Can you provide a source?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:05 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:34 pm
Many/all of these KS projects have incentives. I have not heard of any requiring affordable. Can you provide a source?
Scroll to Residence at Rock Creek Phase 1. That’s where I got the affordable apartment information from: https://www.missionks.org/city-governme ... ssion-Bowl
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Thanks very much Mr. Stritzel for posting all that information! Yes there is a good amount of development interest in Mission, and we on the council also think that Mission is heading for a vibrant future. That's my hope and aim, at least.

Regarding incentives. It has been this Governing Body's (Dec. 2022 to present) custom to ask for affordable units and some level of sustainability certification in exchange for incentives. Until now this was just a habitual practice on our part, but we recently formalized a new tax abatement policy in preparation for some developments coming forward where that kind of incentive request is expected. That new policy delineates exactly what we would require in order to consider abatement, which again largely boils down to sustainability and affordable units. See also https://shawneemissionpost.com/2023/07/ ... -3-207964/.

City staff is also very good at thinking creatively when it comes to development agreements and incentive requests, identifying opportunities to include provisions like landscaping, publicly accessible amenities such as dog runs, dedication of public spaces in structured parking facilities, cash back to the city at certain milestones, etc, etc. In general I think Mission has shown itself to be a reasonable and responsible steward of incentive tools, and of course I intend to do my part to keep it that way.

Of the development proposals Mr. Stritzel showcased in his post, only the Residences at Rock Creek phase 1 (Mission Bowl apartments) actually has an active agreement concerning incentives, and that project does include both affordable and sustainable components. The vast majority of the other proposals on the table have indicated some interest in seeking incentives, but they haven't been formally contemplated yet.

Besides those projects, there was the Gateway development agreement (TIF project) which has been terminated, and Mission Crossing (northeast of 61st and Metcalf; Chick-fil-a, Culver's, The Welstone independent living, etc) which was granted in 2010 and remains in an active pay-as-you-go status.

You can view all the TIF Projects on the county's mapping website at https://maps.jocogov.org/ims/. Under "Advanced Layers", choose "TIF Projects" to see project plan boundaries. Note that not all project plans actually receive incentives; they are just plans that have been proposed. So you'll have to view the details (the circled "i" tool) to look for a field called "YrIncentiveGrntd" which is your indicator that TIF incentives were actually granted.

Ben Chociej, Ward 4 council member
Last edited by bchociej on Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Thank you for the information Ben!
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

You can own Roleland Park Walmart.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The Lanes Apartments (Mission Bowl) are coming together. Move-ins begin this summer per an email I received from the team.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Those are beautiful.
mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mjbauer95 »

Quite a bit exciting stuff happening in the area this year! I've tried keep latest developments updated on OpenStreetMap, and made an interactive map from that:

NE Johnson County Interactive Construction Map
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mjbauer95 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:43 pm Quite a bit exciting stuff happening in the area this year! I've tried keep latest developments updated on OpenStreetMap, and made an interactive map from that:

Mission is definitely seeing a bit of a revival which is great because it has backslid a little since I lived in that area in the 80's.

So what is the status of the Mission Gateway part of downtown Mission. That corner of Mission remains kind of a festering sore. While at it, I wish the city would fix the interchange at Roe and SMP. A highway interchange is not needed there, just make it into a standard intersection and the city could even reclaim some land that is now dedicated to unneeded cloverleafs.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm
mjbauer95 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:43 pm Quite a bit exciting stuff happening in the area this year! I've tried keep latest developments updated on OpenStreetMap, and made an interactive map from that:

Mission is definitely seeing a bit of a revival which is great because it has backslid a little since I lived in that area in the 80's.

So what is the status of the Mission Gateway part of downtown Mission. That corner of Mission remains kind of a festering sore. While at it, I wish the city would fix the interchange at Roe and SMP. A highway interchange is not needed there, just make it into a standard intersection and the city could even reclaim some land that is now dedicated to unneeded cloverleafs.
Mission Gateway has its incentive package canceled by the city and I think they’re still in the court process now.

As for Roe and SMP, do you mean Metcalf? Roe/Johnson Drive has a few ramps, but nothing major.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:55 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm

Mission Gateway has its incentive package canceled by the city and I think they’re still in the court process now.

As for Roe and SMP, do you mean Metcalf? Roe/Johnson Drive has a few ramps, but nothing major.
Yes, not really cloverleafs. I think it's mostly due to some utilities/infra in the area that prevents a more standard intersection.