TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: The Big 12 Conference and National realignment

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I think it’s safe to say that the conference is not in any state of dissolving at this point, so might be time to rename the thread?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:43 am I think it’s safe to say that the conference is not in any state of dissolving at this point, so might be time to rename the thread?
Eh it'll probably be in a state of panic again. Just give it a few years
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:40 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:43 am I think it’s safe to say that the conference is not in any state of dissolving at this point, so might be time to rename the thread?
Eh it'll probably be in a state of panic again. Just give it a few years
Possible but I kind of doubt it. I think the college sport scene is evolving into 4 super conferences: SEC, B1G, B12 and the ACC. There will likely be some movement in those conferences to pick up other teams that want to make a move and to shed their losers for something more optimal.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by AllThingsKC »

The Big 12 is adding Mexico, for basketball and football.

"Mexico is a natural extension to the Big 12 footprint..."

http://big12sports.com/news/2023/6/7/bi ... exico.aspx
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:22 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:33 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:40 pm
Valid article or it didn't happen.
It has not been confirmed as of yet but it's certainly more than just speculation at least with respect to Arizona and Colorado. So I wouldn't say "didn't happen", it just hasn't been confirmed as of today.
I'm reading the speculation as well. It does sound like a possibility and that after/if one makes the jump that others will follow. Grabbing the four corners and some lesser pieces from the ACC once it dissolves (Clemson, FSU and others go B1G or SEC) we have the basis for a very good conference. Sure wish we still had Mizzou and Nebraska.
This seemed imminent a few weeks ago. Now I am wondering if it happens. Pac-10 making a big effort to stay together and the B12 is talking to Memphis. I think the Big XII just needs to be patient here.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:21 pm This seemed imminent a few weeks ago. Now I am wondering if it happens. Pac-10 making a big effort to stay together and the B12 is talking to Memphis. I think the Big XII just needs to be patient here.
There's definitely smoke here! Colorado makes too much sense. They've been terrible in the Pac12. They have historic connections in the Big12 and they desperately need to recruit in Texas. Deion Sanders playing for the Cowboys probably makes that a larger possibility. The question to me is does Arizona follow directly after them? I think that might be the reason for visiting Memphis (if that happened). If it's just Colorado added, you likely need another add to get an even number. Memphis is probably the next best team available.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I'd put money on the Pac 12 splintering with at least 4 schools going to Big 12 & the rest merging with the Mountain West to form a new Pac-# conference that will be seen in 5th place if the ACC doesn't do the same thing. Will basically look like a weaker Big 12 out west.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

No one is taking Memphis, they’ve had a decade+ knowing this was coming and did nothing to improve their football facilities.

Colorado & UConn most likely. Slight chance of Utah instead of UConn. Both Arizona schools a take if they’re in.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Pac12 has stalled SO long of San Diego State, I’d give them an offer. With the Pac12 in media negotiations, I’m not sure if they’d want to add a school during that process. Would give us a California footprint that we likely won’t get otherwise. They have a great football stadium and team and are tops in basketball.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Will UCLA and USC have 9AM PST kickoffs? They did in 2020 without fans
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Yormark: "Looking to double down on KC as the home of our basketball championships long term, working with local officials."

Football extended in DFW until 2030.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I guess the myth that "if Mizzou joins the SEC, the Big 12 Tournament will leave KC" can offically be laid to rest.
KC is the way to be!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks like UConn may be announcing their invitation to the Big 12 sometime this week
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:20 am Looks like UConn may be announcing their invitation to the Big 12 sometime this week
Won't do much for the B12's football presence but it will further establish them as the premier basketball conference. I'd still like to see the B12 pull in some of the PAC12 teams to shore up the football side.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Highlander wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:26 am Won't do much for the B12's football presence but it will further establish them as the premier basketball conference. I'd still like to see the B12 pull in some of the PAC12 teams to shore up the football side.
Personally, I’d rather see San Diego State. Gets the Pacific time zone, strong in football and basketball and would make it even easier for Pac12 teams to defect.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Colorado seems like they could announce any day now, & the border states would all follow them easily. Just a matter of time after that disastrous press conference from the commissioner last Friday.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Colorado to rejoin Big 12 Conference, per sources
https://www.si.com/college/colorado/bu ... er-sources
Not official yet but a LOT of smoke here. Probably means a fairly quick move towards 16 members. Not sure if that’s be the other four corners or UConn or ACC teams but I can’t imagine them staying at 13 for much time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:09 pm Colorado seems like they could announce any day now, & the border states would all follow them easily. Just a matter of time after that disastrous press conference from the commissioner last Friday.
Seeing numerous rumors of a U Arizona move too
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

bspecht wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:05 pm Yormark: "Looking to double down on KC as the home of our basketball championships long term, working with local officials."

Football extended in DFW until 2030.
Is there a chance to bring Big 12 tournament soccer if not NCAA championships to the KC Current Stadium? It’s certainly right sized.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:10 pm Colorado to rejoin Big 12 Conference, per sources
https://www.si.com/college/colorado/bu ... er-sources
Not official yet but a LOT of smoke here. Probably means a fairly quick move towards 16 members. Not sure if that’s be the other four corners or UConn or ACC teams but I can’t imagine them staying at 13 for much time.
One step closer to being official
The Big 12 board met again for a conference call Wednesday night and voted unanimously to accept Colorado as a new member for 2024, a person familiar with the Big 12’s discussions confirmed to The Athletic. Colorado’s regents will meet Thursday afternoon, when they’re expected to formally move forward with exiting the Pac-12 and returning to their former league.
But at this point, Yormark is not looking to stand pat at 13 members starting in 2024. He hasn’t been shy about acknowledging he prefers a 14-member league moving forward after Oklahoma and Texas exit for the SEC, and conference sources believe 14 is more likely than 16, barring a disaster in the Pac-12.
Article goes on to talk about how Arizona will likely wait until they see the Pac12 media deal and prefers to stay in the Pac 12. Then talks about how Yormark wants to bring in Uconn as the 14th school but other Big 12 leaders think football first and have their doubts that UConn football can become relevant.

https://theathletic.com/4726979/2023/07 ... n-yormark/

This quote does make me wonder about the future of events like the Big 12 bball tournament in KC.
But Yormark sees an entry point into New York City. He sees a dominant basketball conference and big-time events at Madison Square Garden. He sees a future in which the Big 12 makes more money down the road by decoupling its media rights package and selling its basketball rights separately. Conference sources say he sees a sort of buy-low opportunity here, a bet that the Big 12 investing in UConn over the rest of the decade will drive up the conference’s value. For him, there’s no hesitation. There’s real conviction.