Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Westport

Post by Metro »

bones.25 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:55 am
Metro wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:27 am The Armor Bike Lanes absolutely need to go
Wrong!I like bike lanes and use them all the time. We need more of them but they do need to be nicer/safer.
I use bike lanes too those just are terrible and do more harm than good.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Move them to the middle of the street, or together on one side?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Cycle track would solve the problem
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

Metro wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:44 am
Metro wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:27 am The Armor Bike Lanes absolutely need to go
Wrong!I like bike lanes and use them all the time. We need more of them but they do need to be nicer/safer.
What do you propose they should look like?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

bones.25 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:20 pm
Metro wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:44 am

What do you propose they should look like?
All I'm saying is the roads shouldn't look 3rd world in one of the biggest entertainment districts & they most certainly can mow the grass in the surrounding areas they own. I don't think that's asking too much.

As far as the post calling me out about praising Platt and talking about this it's a case of both things can be true at once. Under his leadership he's re-paved 5x the amount of roads. The great thing about him is he's responsive and usually when you bring up something he gets it done.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It did help that voters approved a big bond issue in 2018 to pay for infrastructure improvements (sidewalks, streets, bridges).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:30 am
Metro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:47 pm We can't pave roads, we can't maintain our entertainment districts, we can't control crime.

But we can build bike lanes ans give out unlimited amounts of subsidies for big businesses. KC would be an even bigger dump if the people on this board were in charge. Unfortunately people who think like this board are starting to win elections here.
This has to be a troll account. No one is actually this disingenuous, right?
Where am I wrong? One of the biggest entertainment districts in the city absolutely should not look like that.
No one disagrees with your points. Insinuating that if the ideas of this board were helping steer policy is where eyebrows are raised. The road lane mileage of KC is over 100 miles MORE than the city of Chicago, with 1/7th the population. We literally cannot afford to maintain our road liability even if all our public works dollars started getting funneled towards it.

Also claiming that bike lanes are somehow a negative for the city is where you lose me. Removing underutilized lane mileage to extend a network of transport that reduces maintenance liability for the PWD is hardly fiscal irresponsibility.

Finally, tax abatements on development is hardly giving away anything, unless of course the development would somehow generate fewer tax dollars upon completion than the existing lot. I don’t think any on this board with half a brain stem would advocate for incentivizing that.

I can’t quite grasp who you’re upset with, but folks on this board who have made a key part of their lives the following of development and infrastructure in the city I’d argue are more qualified than most to help guide decision making and assist in steering policy. That’s just my assessment, and I’d love for you to elaborate further if you’d like.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The City's physical size cannot be sustained with the low-density patterns of development -- especially new edge development. Kansas Citians just don't understand how money is raised and distributed. We get a significant amount of our budget from people living outside KCMO that work here. It seems everyone wants to live on big lots, still have low taxes, and a cop walking a beat on their street while having all streets resurfaced every five years. There just is not enough money to pay for everything with our population and size.

Every city uses incentives for redevelopment. Otherwise, large properties languish and don't generate tax revenue, and more importantly, affect the tax revenue generated from adjacent properties. The Kansas suburbs use incentives for new raw land developments -- not redevelopment of older property. KCMO absolutely has to use incentives because much of it is old. In fact, KCMO probably took too long to use incentives and let downtown deteriorate. That caused major employers to flee to the suburbs. That is probably one of the reasons our biggest corporations are in the suburbs.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:08 am
Metro wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:30 am
This has to be a troll account. No one is actually this disingenuous, right?
Where am I wrong? One of the biggest entertainment districts in the city absolutely should not look like that.
No one disagrees with your points. Insinuating that if the ideas of this board were helping steer policy is where eyebrows are raised. The road lane mileage of KC is over 100 miles MORE than the city of Chicago, with 1/7th the population. We literally cannot afford to maintain our road liability even if all our public works dollars started getting funneled towards it.

Also claiming that bike lanes are somehow a negative for the city is where you lose me. Removing underutilized lane mileage to extend a network of transport that reduces maintenance liability for the PWD is hardly fiscal irresponsibility.

Finally, tax abatements on development is hardly giving away anything, unless of course the development would somehow generate fewer tax dollars upon completion than the existing lot. I don’t think any on this board with half a brain stem would advocate for incentivizing that.

I can’t quite grasp who you’re upset with, but folks on this board who have made a key part of their lives the following of development and infrastructure in the city I’d argue are more qualified than most to help guide decision making and assist in steering policy. That’s just my assessment, and I’d love for you to elaborate further if you’d like.
I heard for years we couldn't plow all our streets the city was too big. Yet Platt came in and has done a remarkable job with that and while I'm harsh regarding the roads in & surrounding Westport he's done more in a few years regarding roads than Schulte ever did. It turns out the size thing is just a crock of bullshit & Platt has proven that.

Again- We can't pave roads city too big, we can't fix crime no control. Etc. Excuses are nothing other than poor leadership people who continue to parrot this stuff are only hurting the city more.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Schulte didn't have the money provided by the bond issue. It was great for Platt to come and have those funds available to do the work. All public works needed was the MONEY though. Schulte is the City Manager who got that infrastructure bond issue passed.

https://martincitytelegraph.com/2016/09 ... -proposal/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think Platt has really streamlined the city structure and work personnel. That’s why he’s starting to take some heat from groups, the throwing around of cash has stopped and the focus is getting roads and infrastructure fixed. Many new City Managers would just come in and continue the old boy system of distributing funds and jobs to garner favor and keep their job long term. We’ll see if Platts way pays off or if Lucas caves to political interests.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:20 am I think Platt has really streamlined the city structure and work personnel. That’s why he’s starting to take some heat from groups, the throwing around of cash has stopped and the focus is getting roads and infrastructure fixed. Many new City Managers would just come in and continue the old boy system of distributing funds and jobs to garner favor and keep their job long term. We’ll see if Platts way pays off or if Lucas caves to political interests.
I think the issue with Platt is a political vendetta that goes back to his appointment. It's not a coincidence that vote of no confidence happened when it did. Shame on the council people who supported it. Platt provides a unique prospective being from the east coast he doesn't have that "can't do attitude" that plagues many in this city.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

From my outside observation, Platt has done well and taken on a tough role after a successful & long run by Schulte. I hope he is given the chance to continue to show what he can do and even further his career here in KC. I like his fresh perspective and he has a done a good job of learning how to work with the system and implement his idea and changes. I like his youth as well and what that brings again from a perspective.

Lucas is obviously looking to achieve higher things and will no doubt run for higher offices in the future. Going a Clever 2.0 route most likely on some level. Again I'm fine with that just hope the city is able to still bring dynamic leaders back in the fold to keep the city moving forward. Obviously all politicians will have good & bad traits but we have had a decent run of Mayors since Barnes, minus the Funkhauser term.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Metro wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:12 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:20 am I think Platt has really streamlined the city structure and work personnel. That’s why he’s starting to take some heat from groups, the throwing around of cash has stopped and the focus is getting roads and infrastructure fixed. Many new City Managers would just come in and continue the old boy system of distributing funds and jobs to garner favor and keep their job long term. We’ll see if Platts way pays off or if Lucas caves to political interests.
I think the issue with Platt is a political vendetta that goes back to his appointment. It's not a coincidence that vote of no confidence happened when it did. Shame on the council people who supported it. Platt provides a unique prospective being from the east coast he doesn't have that "can't do attitude" that plagues many in this city.
+1
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

CorneliusFB wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:21 pm 2022-2023 KCMO budget was released and contains a PIAC recommendation for funding the creation of the Westport Historical Overlay District.
Westport overlay unanimously approved by CPC without conditions today

https://www.historickansascity.org/wp-c ... 052423.pdf
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:26 pm
CorneliusFB wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:21 pm 2022-2023 KCMO budget was released and contains a PIAC recommendation for funding the creation of the Westport Historical Overlay District.

This hasn't been on my radar. What's this mean for the area?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

smh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:34 am
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:26 pm

This hasn't been on my radar. What's this mean for the area?
It has different standards for things like the size and height of buildings, how far they should be set back from the road, and how much open space should be included, the materials of the buildings, etc.

For instance:
  • The plan says that buildings in this area can be up to 3 stories tall if they are close to the road, and up to 5 stories tall if they are farther away. There are also rules about how close buildings can be to the road or to other buildings.
  • Blank walls are not allowed, and facades should have interesting elements like windows or decorations. Entrances should be clearly defined and have certain features like canopies or columns.
  • The plan also talks about open spaces and parking. Open spaces like courtyards or recreational areas can be included, but they have to meet certain size and location requirements. Parking facilities should be understated and not directly facing the road. There are also rules for access and circulation within the parking area.
*Not an architect or urban planner, so if anyone has a better understanding please chime in
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Interesting! This would seem to preclude things like the big Char Bar apartments from a few years back. Also curious that it runs all the way to SW Trfwy to include the Mattress Firm shopping center.

EDIT: That said, I am pleased that it doesn't include Broadway which seems ripe for some mid-rise redevelopment in the near term.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

smh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:02 pm
That said, I am pleased that it doesn't include Broadway which seems ripe for some mid-rise redevelopment in the near term.
Was mentioned by the project team that this is specifically why Broadway was excluded from the overlay
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Fucking setbacks strike again.