Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

Post by alejandro46 »

Paradise Grill was one of the earliest places I remember.
Fritzs even though the food was meh
KC Masterpiece - original one on the Plaza
Rancho Grande and Stone Canyon too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Your mention of Fritz's reminded me that A Streetcar Named Desire in Crown Center used to be at 4922 Main.

The former location is at the link below.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4922 ... ?entry=ttu

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:51 am Fang is simply a longtime damn treasure to this site with his historical knowledge and pics. Can't say thanks enough
Thank you for the kind words.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:48 pmImage
Woah
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Does anyone know where it ended up?

Future uncertain for restaurant's Interurban car

https://www.newspressnow.com/news/loca ... 91bc8.html
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

There is a streetcar in the middle of a lot on 7th Street in Strawberry Hill, KCK. In the parking lot, SE corner of 7th and Lowell.

I don't think it's a St. Joe Interurban, probably just a KC streetcar leftover from the 1950s decommissioning. Still, I was surprised to spot it recently.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It didn't know about the one at 7th and Lowell in KCKS.

There's also one in Independence on Truman Road at Vermont, The Trolley Inn. Sadly, the restaurant closed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoedge/189735455
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:56 pm There is a streetcar in the middle of a lot on 7th Street in Strawberry Hill, KCK. In the parking lot, SE corner of 7th and Lowell.

I don't think it's a St. Joe Interurban, probably just a KC streetcar leftover from the 1950s decommissioning. Still, I was surprised to spot it recently.
Interesting! Good find

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this would not qualify as a "classic KC restaurant" or anything, but the restaurant from my childhood that i think about the most is Dos Hombres, which was a tex-mex place in an oddly-shaped building at 89th and blue ridge. the building is still there but i think it is empty.

i remember the food was pretty basic gringo tex-mex, but they did have a taco bar with beef tacos deep-fried in the shell, which i loved. also the vibe was great, perfectly 80s in my memory. the building had tall ceilings and skylights with a contemporary atrium feel. i remember smooth 80s soft rock music. in the summer the AC was ice-cold and they would mostly close the blinds which i recall being dark and made of wood. there was an arcade game or two as well. i remember the bar was sort of closed-off from the restaurant and seemed lively. my mom would give me sips of her frozen margaritas.

still chasing this vibe!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anybody remember Po Folks? Used to go there as a kid with my family and the lines were always out the door. Somewhere in Raytown.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chrizow wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:54 pm this would not qualify as a "classic KC restaurant" or anything, but the restaurant from my childhood that i think about the most is Dos Hombres, which was a tex-mex place in an oddly-shaped building at 89th and blue ridge. the building is still there but i think it is empty.

i remember the food was pretty basic gringo tex-mex, but they did have a taco bar with beef tacos deep-fried in the shell, which i loved. also the vibe was great, perfectly 80s in my memory. the building had tall ceilings and skylights with a contemporary atrium feel. i remember smooth 80s soft rock music. in the summer the AC was ice-cold and they would mostly close the blinds which i recall being dark and made of wood. there was an arcade game or two as well. i remember the bar was sort of closed-off from the restaurant and seemed lively. my mom would give me sips of her frozen margaritas.

still chasing this vibe!
Dos Hombres was a great vibe. All-you-can-eat taco Tuesdays were a regular event when I was struggling after college.