OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

taxi wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:49 am
mister816 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:15 am my brain keeps dragging me back to a natural history museum. I can imagine school buses lined up daily in front of a natural history museum. the DC NHM draws literally double the foot traffic than the next most popular museum at the mall because that's where the public interest is. anything other than that would be a huge miss
I will start a go fund me for my brilliant idea of the unnatural history museum. It will house all the animals that did not make it onto Noah's ark.
Do you offer museum memberships?!? I’ve found my new third place
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

According to the Ark Experience in Kentucky, they all made it in. Noah brought along dinosaurs that were co-existing with people at the time. He was being thrifty with space and picked only BABY DINOS.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

We will call it the Ark Inexperience. Following the trend of immersive experiences, all visitors will get very wet and, hopefully, seasick.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Can we make the building just a giant brewery or distillery already?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:20 pm Can we make the building just a giant brewery or distillery already?
Maybe like a food hall? A producer mall where equipment is shared but each maker produces their own wine/beer/spirits!
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

fill it with water and stick some sharks in there, let's get weird
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

I’m with you^ quit building food halls and distilleries that trend is played out, all we need is more people consuming alcohol only to drive home drunk on our terrible roads… make it a museum or fill it with sharks with freaking lazer beams.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

What would be really neat is if this was bought and turned into Kansas City’s arboretum. OKC has theirs downtown and it’s a great vibe. In KC this could be a great destination on the other end of the South Loop Cap.

The Kemper Arboretum or the Haverty Family Gardens. It’s just tough driving out to Bucyrus or Kingsville if you want to see something like that near KC. Instead this would give people in Kc a walkable recreation space even in the winter.

Maybe also incorporate space for a cocktail lounge or a yoga studio so it looks like you’re hanging out in the jungle?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Absolutely. Having KC botanical gardens on the outskirts of the city is a big fail.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

kboish wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:43 am Absolutely. Having KC botanical gardens on the outskirts of the city is a big fail.
Agree. I can think of two specific times in the past year that I've wanted to attend an event at Powell Gardens on a whim and just couldn't stomach the nearly hour long drive from our home (Dark Forest and Orchid Delirium). It can be nice in a day-trip, escape the city into nature kind of way, but for more focused attendance is just too far on the periphery.

Would love to see a satellite location downtown, whether PVP, Star Building, or elsewhere.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

You would need to add artificial light since it's a solid roof.

Too bad we don't have any massive, underutilized parks near downtown.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:33 am You would need to add artificial light since it's a solid roof.

Too bad we don't have any massive, underutilized parks near downtown.
Would be great at Swope
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Once spent a pleasant winter afternoon in the greenhouses at Longwood Gardens more than 20 miles out of DT Philadelphia. You do not need a park for a Conservatory/Winter Garden, just a site where you will not get shaded by buildings from the south, east and west. Could even do it at 13th and Grand since the T Mobile arena is low profile, but that land is too expensive and valuable. At Swope Park Zoo could be in conjunction with a Tropical animal habitat, like at Omaha.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This would make a great connection to the highway cap park. Extend the park all the way to Oak and open the north side of the press building directly into the park. So, people would walk the park directly into the press building arboretum.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Best idea I've heard yet.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would have to remove existing roof and replace with a transparent one, and zone all blocks around it to low rise, which might be opposite the purpose for the covering of the freeway.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 am What would be really neat is if this was bought and turned into Kansas City’s arboretum. OKC has theirs downtown and it’s a great vibe. In KC this could be a great destination on the other end of the South Loop Cap.

The Kemper Arboretum or the Haverty Family Gardens. It’s just tough driving out to Bucyrus or Kingsville if you want to see something like that near KC. Instead this would give people in Kc a walkable recreation space even in the winter.

Maybe also incorporate space for a cocktail lounge or a yoga studio so it looks like you’re hanging out in the jungle?
OKC has some nice stuff downtown. One thing they have I do envy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLd4_swh620

That would be great along the waterfront in Berkley Park - if there is room. Even a scaled down version.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

For some reason, KC hasn't felt the need to hustle since the '70s. Don't know what happened. Sunbelt cities woke up to the future available to them and KC just yawned. It lives the legacy.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:10 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 am What would be really neat is if this was bought and turned into Kansas City’s arboretum. OKC has theirs downtown and it’s a great vibe. In KC this could be a great destination on the other end of the South Loop Cap.

That would be great along the waterfront in Berkley Park - if there is room. Even a scaled down version.
If only these warehouses weren't there on the KS side of the Kaw. This would really tie into the Rock Island bridge and ziplining experience they're putting in over there.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:32 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:10 pm

If only these warehouses weren't there on the KS side of the Kaw. This would really tie into the Rock Island bridge and ziplining experience they're putting in over there.
I mean, money talks. Land swaps can also be enticing. Maybe a deal could come about to eventually get something like that going? Who knows