Grand Blvd Closures

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Grand Blvd Closures

Post by KCPowercat »

they won't be open long enough to become anything.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Another weekend long closure, with no events scheduled. I have no idea how a privately can get away with closing public streets for entire weekends at a time with no purpose, but it's a complete abuse of power and lack of accountability.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

im2kull wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:00 pm Another weekend long closure, with no events scheduled. I have no idea how a privately can get away with closing public streets for entire weekends at a time with no purpose, but it's a complete abuse of power and lack of accountability.
Is it just happening in the evening or is it an all-day closure?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:56 pm
im2kull wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:00 pm Another weekend long closure, with no events scheduled. I have no idea how a privately can get away with closing public streets for entire weekends at a time with no purpose, but it's a complete abuse of power and lack of accountability.
Is it just happening in the evening or is it an all-day closure?
All day, or in this instance all weekend. 72 hours.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The only way to stop Cordish from abusing the privilege is for the public to complain to City Hall, or the media picks up on it and covers it negatively.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Yet again closed. Walked the area to ensure there were no niche events going on to justify it. Nothing. At all. How this is acceptable it beyond me.

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I put in a sunshine request for information about this.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

At least the bike lane isn't blocked.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:50 am The only way to stop Cordish from abusing the privilege is for the public to complain to City Hall, or the media picks up on it and covers it negatively.
Good Luck! "City forces developer to open up street that's closed to prevent dangerous situations from injuring guests".

You really think Cordish wants to make it any harder for guests to get to their businesses and tenants? Blame the city, PD and idiots who want to endanger others safety.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

When there's no one meandering around in the street even with the closure, and no event going on to draw crowds, it's a waste. I can understand during concerts at the Live Block and events at T-Mobile, but when neither are happening, it's pointless.

Under that logic, all streets in and around the P&L District should be closed from 5pm Friday until 10pm Sunday.

Sometimes a closure of Grand is warranted, but every weekend regardless if anything is happening is where I think we all have a problem.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:42 pm When there's no one meandering around in the street even with the closure, and no event going on to draw crowds, it's a waste. I can understand during concerts at the Live Block and events at T-Mobile, but when neither are happening, it's pointless.

Under that logic, all streets in and around the P&L District should be closed from 5pm Friday until 10pm Sunday.

Sometimes a closure of Grand is warranted, but every weekend regardless if anything is happening is where I think we all have a problem.
You clearly haven't been on that street after 10pm on a Friday or Saturday when it was open? If you did, you'd remember the street car racing and donut-polooza.

It sucks they have to close it. I know they don't want to and are actively working on solutions but it's not their job to prevent idiots from being idiots. It is their job to ensure their guests are safe.

I haven't been on this forum in months, yet first thread I open I see everyone is still so quick to blame the wrong people while also making it clear they haven't thought this out. Besides keeping people safe, what other benefit is there to Cordish to close down Grand? Don't you all see it hurts them too? But I don't see any complaints about the city and PD's handling or mishandling of the dangerous street racing situation.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:46 pm You clearly haven't been on that street after 10pm on a Friday or Saturday when it was open? If you did, you'd remember the street car racing and donut-polooza.

It sucks they have to close it. I know they don't want to and are actively working on solutions but it's not their job to prevent idiots from being idiots. It is their job to ensure their guests are safe.

I haven't been on this forum in months, yet first thread I open I see everyone is still so quick to blame the wrong people while also making it clear they haven't thought this out. Besides keeping people safe, what other benefit is there to Cordish to close down Grand? Don't you all see it hurts them too? But I don't see any complaints about the city and PD's handling or mishandling of the dangerous street racing situation.
You're right. I haven't been down there on that particular street after 10pm to witness the donuts. I just moved downtown after being up in Parkville, but I have been down to P&L after 10pm and have walked around down there around 1am. And I admit that the closure does prevent idiots from doing their stunts in the street, but it just pushes them further north or onto the Peck's Garage at 11th and Baltimore (which my apartment looks at).

A better scenario for Cordish than closing down Grand is to work with the City and T-Mobile Center, to build several raised crosswalks between Truman and 13th. Placing them at the intersections and half walk down blocks should force cars to not exceed 20mph and should technically prevent anyone from doing donuts or street races while also making the pedestrian experience a bit better.

Secondly, the same group (Cordish, City, T-Mobile Center) should work together to construct a wide median in the center of Grand and build curbs for the bike lanes. Narrowing Grand + the raised crosswalks means burnouts, donuts, and street racing becomes impossible to do right here.

All of these beautify that part of the neighborhood and create something that only grows better (literally) as time goes on. In my view, a tree canopy will make the experience much better and drive more pedestrian traffic at P&L during the hot months. Additionally, with the South Loop Park coming, such enhancements would tie in well to that park.

In the future, the same treatment can be given to other parts of Grand, but for now, areas of high pedestrian traffic need this treatment and the stretch of Grand between 13th and Truman is a solid start. I'm sure we can agree on that. Just the orange barricades are hoosier and clearly a temporary fix that bothers a good chunk of us. A better, and far more beautiful, solution is clear. Money can and will always be an issue, but I'm sure a grant could be applied for here or the City might still have some Covid Relief Money to kick into this. Besides, this would be a chunk of change spent now that would yield a good return down the road.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't blame Cordish one bit for using what the city has granted them to stop these idiots from their front door. They are a private business trying to maximize profits. I fully blame the PD for allowing them to continue these idiotic acts and the city for not stepping in to not allow these closures all the time. We have to find better solutions. Like Chris says it's just pushing them a block or two away so it's no safer for patrons of downtown establishments.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I also blame the police for being ineffective. I don’t blame Cordiah for taking advantage of the situation but think the problem should be addressed rather than moved away from PnL.

What happened to the pucks in the street? I think a lot of them got plowed up in winter but I also remember reading that they bought 1000s of them so they were easily replaced. I’d like to get some put into the intersections in quality hill too. I’ve been woken up by the same idiots several times at 2-3 am.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:12 pm I don't blame Cordish one bit for using what the city has granted them to stop these idiots from their front door. They are a private business trying to maximize profits. I fully blame the PD for allowing them to continue these idiotic acts and the city for not stepping in to not allow these closures all the time. We have to find better solutions. Like Chris says it's just pushing them a block or two away so it's no safer for patrons of downtown establishments.
I do miss you!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:56 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:46 pm You clearly haven't been on that street after 10pm on a Friday or Saturday when it was open? If you did, you'd remember the street car racing and donut-polooza.

You're right. I haven't been down there on that particular street after 10pm to witness the donuts. I just moved downtown after being up in Parkville, but I have been down to P&L after 10pm and have walked around down there around 1am. And I admit that the closure does prevent idiots from doing their stunts in the street, but it just pushes them further north or onto the Peck's Garage at 11th and Baltimore (which my apartment looks at).

A better scenario for Cordish than closing down Grand is to work with the City and T-Mobile Center, to build several raised crosswalks between Truman and 13th. Placing them at the intersections and half walk down blocks should force cars to not exceed 20mph and should technically prevent anyone from doing donuts or street races while also making the pedestrian experience a bit better.

Secondly, the same group (Cordish, City, T-Mobile Center) should work together to construct a wide median in the center of Grand and build curbs for the bike lanes. Narrowing Grand + the raised crosswalks means burnouts, donuts, and street racing becomes impossible to do right here.

All of these beautify that part of the neighborhood and create something that only grows better (literally) as time goes on. In my view, a tree canopy will make the experience much better and drive more pedestrian traffic at P&L during the hot months. Additionally, with the South Loop Park coming, such enhancements would tie in well to that park.

In the future, the same treatment can be given to other parts of Grand, but for now, areas of high pedestrian traffic need this treatment and the stretch of Grand between 13th and Truman is a solid start. I'm sure we can agree on that. Just the orange barricades are hoosier and clearly a temporary fix that bothers a good chunk of us. A better, and far more beautiful, solution is clear. Money can and will always be an issue, but I'm sure a grant could be applied for here or the City might still have some Covid Relief Money to kick into this. Besides, this would be a chunk of change spent now that would yield a good return down the road.
It seems so simple, but no one wants to give up the ability to use Grand for larger activations and adding any kind of permanent median in the center of Grand would mean the end of several popular and successful uses.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:06 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:12 pm I don't blame Cordish one bit for using what the city has granted them to stop these idiots from their front door. They are a private business trying to maximize profits. I fully blame the PD for allowing them to continue these idiotic acts and the city for not stepping in to not allow these closures all the time. We have to find better solutions. Like Chris says it's just pushing them a block or two away so it's no safer for patrons of downtown establishments.
I do miss you!
DCole letssssss goooooo 😁😁 we back
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:08 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:56 pm

It seems so simple, but no one wants to give up the ability to use Grand for larger activations and adding any kind of permanent median in the center of Grand would mean the end of several popular and successful uses.
Outside of parades (which could drive around, but that brings up minor issues I’ll give it) what events can’t be held on that utilize the entirety of that stretch of grand for necessity of said event? The court they set up for Big12 or MCBBC?

It wouldn’t need to be one contiguous median, and not all of it would need landscaping, but if we’re serious about maintaining functionality as much as possible, maintaining cordish’s ability to activate the corridor, as well as not murdering the streetcar functionality of the cap comes to fruition (which I’ve now heard has even more street closures planned) then wtf is this city to do? Just settle in and accept mediocrity for eternity?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

MAKE GRAND AN ACTUAL STREET INSTEAD OF A PLANAR FEATURELESS RACETRACK
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Why can't we install some speed bumps along Grand? Would that not eliminate the street nonsense? Even if only between 13th and Truman it would also calm the traffic that is meant to use that street along with eliminating the nonsense.

Edit: They don't even need to be the annoying and aggressive types of speed bumps. Something like this should work just fine.