Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Restaurants you ate out at as a kid

Post by mlind »

bbqboy wrote: that's the carousel at about 62nd and troost. 
Thanks. It's amazing how all these memories are coming back.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

KCMax wrote: I think we may also need "soda joints you hung out at as a teen" or "places you took your prom date."
Well, in KCK THE place to go was Peter's Drive-In on State Ave. 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Myron Green's in Mission. Allen's and Dari-o in Fairway. Leona Yarbourgh's in Fairway.
Bretton's DT. All the department store cafeterias. Best was Emery Bird Thayer.
Eddy's. La Louisianne, where I ate a whole catfish when I was 3, and as a treat had a drunk
Pat Suzuki sing happy birthday to me. (family legend).
Dewey's chili parlor and the Smoke House cafe in Argentine.
KCDirtyHistory
Surface Lot

Post by KCDirtyHistory »

Sambo's. Golden Corral. Pizza Hut and Pizza Inn.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Furrs Cafeteria - Antioch Mall
Burger Biggies - Independence Ave and Jackson
Duff's Cafeteria - Metro North Mall
Quick's BBQ - KCK
Humdingers on 9th (back in the day when it was owned by the Pace family)
Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips - 27th and Vanbrunt

There was a family owned cafeteria on Strong Avenue KCK but I can't remember the name. It was a great place and great value.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Washington Street Station
Italian Gardens
Stephenson's Apple Farm Restaurant
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:25 pm Washington Street Station
Italian Gardens
Where was Washington Street Station? I remember the name and that it was a popular place but cannot place the location or the type of food.

Italian Gardens lives on in a very different format in the Crossroads. I've not been to the reincarnation but would like to.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Annie's Santa Fe
Shoney's
In-A-Tub
Big Burger
Mama Tio's
Showbiz Pizza
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:52 am
Italian Gardens
Where was Washington Street Station? I remember the name and that it was a popular place but cannot place the location or the type of food.

Italian Gardens lives on in a very different format in the Crossroads. I've not been to the reincarnation but would like to.
The SW corner of W. 9th St and Washington. It was an Italian restaurant.

Here is a link to the menu. Click on the menu to expand, and use the arrows to move through the pages.

https://vintagemenumania.com/products/1 ... 7484963909

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1037788 ... ?entry=ttu

This is the 1940 tax photo of the building, which was then a warehouse/factory for the Burlington Overall Company.

This is the old streetcar that was inside the Washington Street Station restaurant.

herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:18 am
Highlander wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:52 am
Italian Gardens

The SW corner of W. 9th St and Washington. It was an Italian restaurant.

Here is a link to the menu. Click on the menu to expand, and use the arrows to move through the pages.

https://vintagemenumania.com/products/1 ... 7484963909

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1037788 ... ?entry=ttu

This is the 1940 tax photo of the building, which was then a warehouse/factory for the Burlington Overall Company.

This is the old streetcar that was inside the Washington Street Station restaurant.

Thank you for the links. My KC files also include this physical menu (my brother "collected" menus whether or not that was encouraged or even allowed; someday I'll scan others and post some here). I remember the funny gray "old-time-railroad" hats the servers wore, and of course that streetcar was THE place to sit if you were a kid.

I had no idea the Washington Street Station building was demolished, but it was a significant "scene" restaurant in the 1970s and, my family went there occasionally when out-of-town guests visited. Same with Stephenson's Apple Farm, way east on US40. Neither place was known for high cuisine, rather more for quantity (both were family places). 1977 doesn't seem that long ago, but then you remember many of those middle-aged people ( customers, proprietors, guests ) are gone.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

1977 is midway between today and 1931, which is damn near a century ago.

I'm too lazy to scroll through all these posts, but I had a funny conversation the other day with someone who worked at The Rusty Scupper. If I recall correctly, it was around 13th and Broadway next to 2 gas stations.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Colony Steakhouse and Lobster Pot took over the Rusty Scupper space according to the late restaurant critic Charles Ferruzza. He said it was on 14th Street.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/things-go-swimmingly/

Was this the location of The Rusty Scupper and Colony Steakhouse & Lobster Pot restaurant? KCKev, do you remember it?

Or was it the orange-looking building across from Grace & Holy Cathedral?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fang is simply a longtime damn treasure to this site with his historical knowledge and pics. Can't say thanks enough
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:51 am Fang is simply a longtime damn treasure to this site with his historical knowledge and pics. Can't say thanks enough
+1 Go Fang!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

And also re: Colony - do I remember a later iteration in southern stretches of Ward Parkway? Or was that something else?

I do recall eating at Joe's near 79th and Stateline a fair amount as a child (looking forward to the candy machine on the way out the door), and used to love Leona Yarborough's in Fairway (mentioned earlier).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:53 am And also re: Colony - do I remember a later iteration in southern stretches of Ward Parkway? Or was that something else?

I do recall eating at Joe's near 79th and Stateline a fair amount as a child (looking forward to the candy machine on the way out the door), and used to love Leona Yarborough's in Fairway (mentioned earlier).
We'd get lunch at Joe's circa 97-98, so that officially makes me old. Weird-ass diner!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:53 am And also re: Colony - do I remember a later iteration in southern stretches of Ward Parkway? Or was that something else?

Joes also had a large barn out in Stanley Kansas that served Buffet style dinners. My family went there often when I was a kid. They actually have a FB page still. What was generally farm land then is now a sea of houses. State Line had some nice restaurants back in the 70's and 80's when Kansas was essentially dry and alcohol above 3.2% was available only in private clubs. I remember Costello's, Cork and Cleaver and Steak and Ale (and later, Rusty Pelican) all along that corridor.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Rusty Scupper was the 2nd photo, west of Broadway. Was a huge happy hour spot, back when DT had more office employees.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:07 am

Joes also had a large barn out in Stanley Kansas that served Buffet style dinners. My family went there often when I was a kid. They actually have a FB page still. What was generally farm land then is now a sea of houses. State Line had some nice restaurants back in the 70's and 80's when Kansas was essentially dry and alcohol above 3.2% was available only in private clubs. I remember Costello's, Cork and Cleaver and Steak and Ale (and later, Rusty Pelican) all along that corridor.
I remember going out to the Barn. Didn't they have a beehive behind glass where you would wait in line.

Bishops Cafeteria (I miss cafeterias like that)
Lobster Pot by Ward Parkway
Fun House Pizza
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In addition to the 14th Street location, there were several locations for the Colony Steakhouse & Lobster Pot: on Broadway south of the Uptown Theater in the Ambassador Hotel building; Union Station; Ward Parkway Center, and 127th and Wornall. The Gaines family also operated a restaurant in Phoenix.

Colony Steakhouse & The Lobster Pot were the last businesses (at that point, they were two separate restaurants next to each other) operating in Union Station before it became so dilapidated that the building closed.

Colony Steakhouse menu.

http://ciadigitalcollections.culinary. ... 1/id/16800