Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Fountains wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:54 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:11 pm
Fountains wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:21 pm Hartzel works with KC Tennants. You also don't have to dive very far to see some bigoted remarks from him. I'd stay clear from that guy.
I don’t like him in the slightest, just thought it was a good quote :roll:
Hate has no place in our city people should stop giving him a platform
Were you not actively disparaging members of this forum not a week ago? FOH with that higher and mightier attitude.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Justice has been served
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I'm confused about what the real goals of KC Tenants are. It can't actually be affordable housing, they're already living rent-free in the heads of half of this board.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:06 pm I'm confused about what the real goals of KC Tenants are. It can't actually be affordable housing, they're already living rent-free in the heads of half of this board.
It is interesting, they regularly tout how they want to reroute things like Tif and whatnot to the city housing trust fund, but don’t have a solid plan of execution outside of “social housing”.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:06 pm I'm confused about what the real goals of KC Tenants are. It can't actually be affordable housing, they're already living rent-free in the heads of half of this board.
This made me chuckle. Well said
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Please tell all your friends at the next KC Tenants meeting rent is due.

Thanks.

Also, that’s about all they’ve accomplished, irritating people with their clear lack of knowledge and outlandish demands. Hartzell will jump on any and all causes he can because he also lacks even basic knowledge of the real world. Than again his adult obsession with pretend wrestling kind of tells the story.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Oct. 6, 2022 - Stadium groundbreaking
Fall 2022 - Stadium site excavation
Winter 2022 - Site utilities and building foundations
Spring 2023 - Concrete place and Structural steel erection
Summer 2023 - Building masonry for suites, concessions, and other amenities
August 2023 - Pitch installation begins
Fall 2023 - Concourse paving + Stadium seating and scoreboard installation
Fall – Winter 2023 - Interior finishes for suites and club levels + Concourse finishes and bars
March 2024 - Stadium opens

The downtown stadium will seat 11,500 fans.
https://fox4kc.com/news/kc-current-rele ... -timeline/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Really like the stadium piece. Right on the water, view of downtown and almost on the streetcar. It's a huge win. The only thing I'd really like is some building aspect to make it more than just stands. Is there a woman's national soccer organization or woman's sports organization or womans sports HOF that would be interested in building on site connected to the stadium piece? It seems it would be fitting since this is the first woman-only professional sports stadium.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is an honest question. What if the league does not survive? Is there a backup use for the stadium?

I only ask this because this does seem to be a league that is struggling to be relevant. KC seems to be setting a high bar for women's sports and that's awesome, but what if things just don't work out for this league or this team? Can this stadium be increased to something more in line with MLS of 22-25k seats?

One reason I ask is because we actually went to the championship game at Audi Field in DC. The game between KC Current and Portland. It honestly felt like a very "minor league" experience. They did not even have a single thing for sale at the arena that mentioned KC or Portland. We wanted to at least get a scarf or something and they had nothing. Not a thing. Just one little booth selling a generic soccer t-shirt.

I really hope the team and league sticks around though and KC is really going all out on this.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They did draw a pretty nice crowd at the finals game.

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:10 pm This is an honest question. What if the league does not survive? Is there a backup use for the stadium?

I only ask this because this does seem to be a league that is struggling to be relevant. KC seems to be setting a high bar for women's sports and that's awesome, but what if things just don't work out for this league or this team? Can this stadium be increased to something more in line with MLS of 22-25k seats?
I think the stadium is already planned to be a venue for concerts and other sport events (high school/exhibitions). If the league ever failed then my guess is that would become the primary use.

I know the stadium was built to handle expansion, but I'm not sure the exact amount.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:10 pm This is an honest question. What if the league does not survive? Is there a backup use for the stadium?

One reason I ask is because we actually went to the championship game at Audi Field in DC. The game between KC Current and Portland. It honestly felt like a very "minor league" experience. They did not even have a single thing for sale at the arena that mentioned KC or Portland. We wanted to at least get a scarf or something and they had nothing. Not a thing. Just one little booth selling a generic soccer t-shirt.

I really hope the team and league sticks around though and KC is really going all out on this.
Top 5 avg. attendance 2022:

1 Angel City FC 19,105
2 Portland Thorns FC 15,543
3 SD Wave FC 8,729
4 KC Current 7,657
5 OL Reign 6,844
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

People asked the same question of MLS when it launched. There will always be woman’s soccer in some league form going forward. Having a dedicated stadium pretty much guarantees that we will have a team.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Long Live King Car (as far as it reads to me)!
Sponsor: Councilmember Teresa Loar Amending Ordinance No. 200550 by repealing Section A.1 and enacting a new section A.1 to require the completion of all public improvements recommended by the traffic impact study before a final Certificate of Occupancy is issued for the KC Current Stadium.
https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... t|&Search=
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Found a permit for the KC Current Stadium with a bunch of elevations and site plans.

It may only be temporary but everything east of the pavilion at Berkley Park to the stadium will be paved over for parking. Parcels 4,5,6,9,10 will be surface parking.

KCDowntown
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Everybody keeps saying there is so much more room to develop the riverfront, but it looks like you won't get much more than about twice the size of the union development. I really hope they get some good density for the rest of the developments.

I wonder if there is any chance of expanding development south of all the RR tracks into all those lightly used industrial areas. Probably not since those are busy tracks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling all those industrial parcels to the south will eventually get redeveloped.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

The stadium is way up and off the ground.
You can see the seating and it's really coming along!
Since this is "downtown" shouldn't the construction have it's own thread Downtown?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Construction video: https://kccurrentstadium.com/img/West-U ... 2f23c0.jpg

I havent seen some of these before:

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is going to be a great concert venue I think. Does this unseat Sandstone?