Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by moderne »

The rest of the glass should be the highly reflective one.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:41 pm I personally don't think this is too squat - I think it's beautiful. Recently, I've been enjoying seeing the mural filled in
It's an attractive building. I like the glass color choices.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It seems like an elegant exterior. I like how the every-other-floor floating balconies look like a mathematical pattern. High Rise residential often takes the form of slabs instead of towers. This is a middle size metro, I would not expect residential skyscrapers. Considering the Lights are the tallest and largest residential buildings in town in nearly half a century is significant. Poor Omaha is still bemoaning the proposed never built Walstreet Omaha and has yet to build a single new res tower. Would love to see high rise residential in North Loop like the South Loop with a park square in the middle. Buildings that would be complementary to the 19th century brick building survivors. Like something seen in Antwerp, Rotterdam or Hamburg.
I don't recall anyone calling Loew's short and squatty. Especially from the NE it resembles a Borg cube.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:33 pm ...considering the Lights are the tallest and largest residential buildings in town in nearly half a century is significant. ...
The San Francisco Tower in Crown Center slips in right under the half-century mark (at 47-years; completed in 1976). It was built as a residential building and it's 32 floors. Three Light is 26 stories.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

FangKC wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:09 am
moderne wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:33 pm ...considering the Lights are the tallest and largest residential buildings in town in nearly half a century is significant. ...
The San Francisco Tower in Crown Center slips in right under the half-century mark (at 47-years; completed in 1976). It was built as a residential building and it's 32 floors. Three Light is 26 stories.
Huh? Reverb, Arterra, Townsend Place, 4646 Broadway, Alameda Tower are all significant apartment/condo towers built since the late '80s, even if not all downtown.

And whatever happened to building multi-story residential like Vista Condo in KCK, Santa Fe Towers in downtown OP or even Brush Creek Towers? Those types of buildings were common in all cities back in the 1970s-80s, even in Omaha, Wichita, etc.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

kcjak wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:57 am

Huh? Reverb, Arterra, Townsend Place, 4646 Broadway, Alameda Tower are all significant apartment/condo towers built since the late '80s, even if not all downtown.
Only a few of those are really towers per say. I would argue all towers on that list are outdated
kcjak wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:57 am And whatever happened to building multi-story residential like Vista Condo in KCK, Santa Fe Towers in downtown OP or even Brush Creek Towers? Those types of buildings were common in all cities back in the 1970s-80s, even in Omaha, Wichita, etc.
Modern tower requirements are really expensive, incentives harder to come by, and parking garages grew bigger. Can't forget the neighors shooting down every proposal
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"$8,000 rent in KC? Take a look inside Three Light luxury apartment opening this fall"
Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looking good with the peak glassed in. Puts a new angle on DT.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

They were painting a mural on the north side and it just said rag as I walked by. I was going to take a picture but unfortunately was busy.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Bring on “fountain 3”
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing. This thing is almost ready for tenants! 400-500 new residents headed to KCMO 😎
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I hate that the dark blue or as mentioned before a highly reflective (mirror) glass was not used for the curved peak. Last night viewed from the south the powder blue top looks terrible! It made the building appear shorter because of the break-up in color. They should have continued the dark blue all the way up or changed to a reflective finish. This looks terrible to me when viewed from the south.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Looked fine to me idk
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

3 signage appears to be going up today
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:11 am 3 signage appears to be going up today
Looking forward to pics!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

smh wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:34 pm
smh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:31 pm I still think a stylized 3 would look nice. Something like the 3 mobile logo from the UK:

I'd like to think that someone was listening.
I continue to believe this post was the difference maker. I don't speak up, we get it spelled out.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Saw a 3 getting hauled up

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:11 pm
smh wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:34 pm
smh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:31 pm I still think a stylized 3 would look nice. Something like the 3 mobile logo from the UK:

I'd like to think that someone was listening.
I continue to believe this post was the difference maker. I don't speak up, we get it spelled out.
KC rags biggest skyline impact ever?