Katz on Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Katz on Main

Post by beautyfromashes »

Call me cynical, but I always worry about historic preservations like this where they tear everything back to the bare bones before rebuilding months later. Always concerned "we had a construction accident" or "there appeared to be much more damage than we anticipated" or "the structure wasn't strong enough to support our original plan". Then, they build a "replacement" with modern materials that's supposed to look like the original. I really hate to see this structure flapping in the wind for months now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TLG, thanks for taking photos.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:42 pm Call me cynical, but I always worry about historic preservations like this where they tear everything back to the bare bones before rebuilding months later. Always concerned "we had a construction accident" or "there appeared to be much more damage than we anticipated" or "the structure wasn't strong enough to support our original plan". Then, they build a "replacement" with modern materials that's supposed to look like the original. I really hate to see this structure flapping in the wind for months now.
I think this developer has done or proposed a few of this facade preservation projects before. This looks easier than most as Katz has the steel structure in place still
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:14 am I think this developer has done or proposed a few of this facade preservation projects before. This looks easier than most as Katz has the steel structure in place still
Steel should be removed soon for the new roof-deck. The walls are braced and should be fine. I’m sure I’m over-worrying.
The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

Any update on the Katz building? Those of us living away from KC are curious if not a little bit concerned. I'm hoping that no news means no bad news.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The Newbern wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:43 pm Any update on the Katz building? Those of us living away from KC are curious if not a little bit concerned. I'm hoping that no news means no bad news.
Has just chugged alone albeit I only walk past every so often. They had to dig pretty deep for the garage. Its a few floors above ground now
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The Newbern wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:43 pm Any update on the Katz building? Those of us living away from KC are curious if not a little bit concerned. I'm hoping that no news means no bad news.
It’s coming along just fine. One of the few great projects that is actually coming to fruition right now.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I’ll take a pic if I get a chance. They’ve started to go vertical with the wood construction
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The details on the clock tower are falling off. Don't know if was damage due to construction or just deterioration that was already underway. This intersection is pretty rough with the Katz project and streetcar. Sorta humorous to see people at the bakery sitting on the sidewalk behind barricades enjoying their capuccino and croissants in the middle of the mess.
The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

Glad to hear things are progressing. That is one of my favorite buildings. And yes, would love to see a picture of the progress when it's convenient.

I'm hoping that they'll restore all of the clock tower including the lighting behind the stripes. The orange neon behind the strips was so cool looking to me and went so well with the dark brown brick. I always thought it made the building look like it was perpetually decorated for Halloween.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:04 am Sorta humorous to see people at the bakery sitting on the sidewalk behind barricades enjoying their capuccino and croissants in the middle of the mess.
Traffic calming!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I’m no Chris or TLG, but I took a few pics today for those out of town. The detailing on the clock really is falling off… hoping Lux is a good steward of this place. Also Bulldog does quite a few historic projects in KC including the old KC Star building. Again, hope they take care in their work.

Last edited by Cratedigger on Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

Great pics! Thanks for taking the time! Much appreciated!

Yes, the dangling strips and crunched up copper cornice make me a little worried but hopefully there are good people on the project who are on it!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The Newbern
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by The Newbern »

Thanks for the update photos! I'll feel much better once they start working on the historic portion of the building. Hope it's soon.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Is going to look great. Would love to have a similar development on the lot in the lower left corner of the picture.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

It looks pretty huge when you approach from east 40th.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Also quite visible from Broadway. Makes a nice eastern terminus to Westport Road. Incorporating angles that align with the predominant KC north-south grid and with Westport Road gives a visual interest from a distance.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think Midtown would be adding alot more development if KC Tenants wasn't hellbent on keeping it down. Midtown is like their ground zero.

Katz project will look incredible on the streetcar line. Hope we get a nice restaurant behind those windows.