Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Post by herrfrank »

moderne wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:15 am The Lathrop building had already been renovated into very nice office space in the early eighties. While lots of other properties could be called "blighted" due to lack of upkeep, the Lathrop was surely not one of them.
I had forgotten about this building. Sad that the Lathrop is forever gone. So much of the built environment downtown is just missing. It used to feel quite dense when I would walk around downtown in the 1970s. A little intimidating perhaps, but dense.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Downtown has been through an absolutely astonishing amount of abuse and amputation
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

HalcyonKC wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:43 am
HalcyonKC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:09 pm On my walks this weekend I was surprised to see the roof at the Seiden's Furs building is still open to the sky a full year and counting after the collapse. And seemingly no permits filed for either repair or demo. On deeper digging I did find that the owners of the adjacent building (Majestic) filed suit to force the Seiden's owners to repair or demolish the building, and won a default judgment earlier this summer.

Judgment document:
https://www.courts.mo.gov/fv/c/2116-CV2 ... i=20401064

Missouri Casenet entry:
https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases ... urtId=CT16
I was checking back on the status of this case, and the default judgment was apparently vacated? I have never watched a lawsuit progress through its phases so I don't know if this is normal or the what's/why's behind it. It is now set for a jury trial in October. According to Casenet:

Jury Trial Scheduled
Scheduled For: 10/16/2023; 9:00 AM; JERRI J ZHANG; Jackson - Kansas City
By an October jury trial, I will be surprised if the building is still standing. We've had two straight days of rain and every rain event puts this building in more peril. If it doesn't collapse, the water damage will just expand and make it more expensive to save.

We have to figure out a faster way to deal with these situations. If a roof collapses and a building becomes imperiled, and the owner is negligent or incapable financially of fixing the building, then it should move to a quick resolution in front of a judge within a week to 10 days. Especially in the case of an owner who had demonstrated stubbornness or willful neglect.

What I worry about is if it's demolished, that parcel will become parking and nothing will be built there for decades.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Reddit is saying there's a demolition permit placed on the building. Searching Compass I didn't find anything from the past few years. Anybody have some free time to go verify?
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

gfenn11 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:19 am Reddit is saying there's a demolition permit placed on the building. Searching Compass I didn't find anything from the past few years. Anybody have some free time to go verify?
It’s sort of true? I read it more as a final notice from the city to the owner that the city will demolish it because the owner has abandoned it. Not that the owner is demolishing or that demolition has been scheduled. Please educate me if I’m wrong.

One of the few remaining intersections with historic buildings on all 4 corners downtown.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

According to the parcel viewer, this site is just over 3500sf in size. I have a concept for a project I've been looking at in St. Louis that's planned on a 2750sf corner site. The concept calls for 2 small ground-floor retail bays, 24 apartments on floors 2-7 (12 studios, 12-one-bedrooms), and resident/retail storage in the basement.

Such a concept could work on the Seiden's site and could likely yield a slightly higher unit count. But like the St. Louis deal, making numbers work is tricky. The only difference between Seiden's and the St. Louis site is the STL site is owned by a friend. Seiden's would have to be bought for likely an ungodly high number.

But a new building on this corner is entirely possible if the costs align and demand remains high.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If the city can force demolition, why can’t they just, claim the building and pass it over to someone who might be able to maintain it? Not sure why the only options for this kind of thing are leaving the building untouched or completely obliterating it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Milwaukee deli was at this stage and was saved. Prayers up.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:21 am Milwaukee deli was at this stage and was saved. Prayers up.
The seller was willing. I don't think that's the case here?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

News coming soon!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I hope it's good news. lol.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Please be good news. This building should be saved.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:19 pm News coming soon!
Reads like good news to me!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I can't talk about the news just yet, but I saw the inside today. It's as rough as you'd expect. A true case of demolition by neglect.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

New buyer....
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Business Journal reports that its under contract. Thankfully its the developer that recently did the River Market water department building at 2nd & Main. Should be in great hands if saving can happen.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've always dreamed of a coffee shop on that corner. Keep the name/sign. Build a 3rd floor for a living space. Bar in the basement.

Get any furs or have the rats eaten them all?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:05 pm I've always dreamed of a coffee shop on that corner. Keep the name/sign. Build a 3rd floor for a living space. Bar in the basement.

Get any furs or have the rats eaten them all?
I'm told the furs are actually preserved. I didn't see them up close. I did see the monster machine that cleaned furs though. Neat stuff!
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:54 pm hi!

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... sally.html

What should it be?
did you snag a pic or have context on the state of the furs left in the basement?

I think it would be wonderful if the owners of Green Lady would move the Black Dolphin into the space. But realistically apartments up top and some form of retail on the main level.