Plaza Environs

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Plaza Environs

Post by smh »

Kevin, my only caveat w/ your story is that the graphic from Urban3 isn't "property values" it is taxable value per acre which is something different (and what makes Urban3's analyses somewhat unique). It's how we show that a mixed-use Main Street with shops and residences adds more value to the public coffer on a per acre basis than a big box on the edge of town. Maybe a small quibble, but I think it is important folks understand that the map isn't just "these areas are rich" or something like that. Otherwise, thanks very much for keeping us informed on this effort.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Pretty much all of our ideas (raggers) are mentioned. One other thing Plaza could use is smaller spaces for above avg counter eats and quaint restaurants rather than cater mostly to corporate format. iE Rye feels more generic corporate than indie local.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

earthling wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:32 pm Pretty much all of our ideas (raggers) are mentioned. One other thing Plaza could use is smaller spaces for above avg counter eats and quaint restaurants rather than cater mostly to corporate format. iE Rye feels more generic corporate than indie local.
Agreed, part of that is the rent is pretty steep on the Plaza.

To be honest, I'm pretty optimistic about the future of the Plaza once the Streetcar is completed. I'm not saying that it is a cure all, but retail everywhere is hurting. By having a connection to Downtown all of the Plaza is a much more convenient suburban style shopping center for residents all along the line. The Plaza needs to attract a grocery store/anchor tenant and a pharmacy.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thought exercise. If J.C. Nichols had not built out the Plaza area with retail, and only had built some apartment buildings instead (think Armour Boulevard), would downtown be stronger? Would downtown have more retail? Would American Century, Lockton, Polsinelli, Husch-Blackwell, Populous, CBIZ, Barlett, Bernstein-Reed, and many of the lesser tenants around the Plaza be downtown?

Or, instead, what if the Plaza had been developed where Crown Center is now?

What if UMKC was east of downtown on Paseo West? How would downtown be different with these factors?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:38 pm Thought exercise. If J.C. Nichols had not built out the Plaza area with retail, and only had built some apartment buildings instead (think Armour Boulevard), would downtown be stronger? Would downtown have more retail? Would American Century, Lockton, Polsinelli, Husch-Blackwell, Populous, CBIZ, Barlett, Bernstein-Reed, and many of the lesser tenants around the Plaza be downtown?

Or, instead, what if the Plaza had been developed where Crown Center is now?

What if UMKC was east of downtown on Paseo West? How would downtown be different with these factors?
Best exercise is UMKC by Liberty Memorial which was originally proposed
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

No doubt downtown suffers because amenities and jobs have been scattered widely in what we now consider the "core".

But you could also say that about KC in general. It suffers because it is spread too thin.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

Thanks for the clarification, I amended article to use the term taxable value.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Heard St Luke’s being bought out by WashU/BJC. Sad to hear
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:10 pm Heard St Luke’s being bought out by WashU/BJC. Sad to hear
The two systems have had a collaborative arrangement for a while so makes sense
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Kcbj presents it as a merger of equals, not a buyout. If so, could raise St. Luke's game vis a vis KUMed.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

missingkc wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:29 pm Kcbj presents it as a merger of equals, not a buyout. If so, could raise St. Luke's game vis a vis KUMed.
BJC (30k employees) had revenues of 6.3 billion in 2022. St. Luke's (12k employees) had ~4 billion
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

missingkc wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:29 pm Kcbj presents it as a merger of equals, not a buyout. If so, could raise St. Luke's game vis a vis KUMed.
I mean BJC/WashU is the larger and more nationally known group in the transaction. BJC/WashU will be in control of the new operation.

Will WashU med school build a new facility at St Lukes? No but really that is the only thing I could see making the transaction a win for KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I don't think merger process actually allows you to merge as equals. Someone always comes out on top. Sprint/Nextel was also framed this way.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The patients won't be moving to St Louis. The jobs won't be moving to St Louis. I did have to go to Barnes Jewish for a procedure that is not performed at St Luke's. But it was not available at any other KC hospital. Maybe my check in would have been easier if the systems are going to share info.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Definitely feels like a response to the continued growth of KU Med & the transition to University Health over on Hospital Hill. St. Luke's didn't want to get caught without their scrubs on.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm The patients won't be moving to St Louis. The jobs won't be moving to St Louis. I did have to go to Barnes Jewish for a procedure that is not performed at St Luke's. But it was not available at any other KC hospital. Maybe my check in would have been easier if the systems are going to share info.
Local companies being merger to others with HQ outside the metro have always been a drain on the city. Whether operations are the same as a whole is irrelevant. Profits are diverted outside the city, high-end management positions are transferred, philanthropy dries up, decisions that affect the community are made by those without knowledge of the consequences.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:49 pm
moderne wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm The patients won't be moving to St Louis. The jobs won't be moving to St Louis. I did have to go to Barnes Jewish for a procedure that is not performed at St Luke's. But it was not available at any other KC hospital. Maybe my check in would have been easier if the systems are going to share info.
Local companies being merger to others with HQ outside the metro have always been a drain on the city. Whether operations are the same as a whole is irrelevant. Profits are diverted outside the city, high-end management positions are transferred, philanthropy dries up, decisions that affect the community are made by those without knowledge of the consequences.
100% my qualms with this. The CEO of the combined hospital group is going to report to WashU and live in STL. This really is no different from HCA buying ST. Lukes. Maybe even worse. BJC's main campus will always be where their best staff, tech, research, etc reside. Now St. Lukes's will not even attempt to compete regionally for that traffic.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I'd say it was always obvious Sprint was going to be devoured. This feels different to me from that and usual mergers/takeovers. For one thing, both entities are not for profits. For another, their geographic service areas are complementary. I don't think there's a lot of overlap. I think the outcome might well be different.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

missingkc wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:15 pm I'd say it was always obvious Sprint was going to be devoured. This feels different to me from that and usual mergers/takeovers. For one thing, both entities are not for profits. For another, their geographic service areas are complementary. I don't think there's a lot of overlap. I think the outcome might well be different.
How? There is a larger entity with an existing management team who is taking over a smaller entity (KC based) with its own existing management team. There will no longer be a need for the local team. Ranging from the local entity’s system CEO to lower positions ie accounting or etc.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

missingkc wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:15 pm For one thing, both entities are not for profits.
Lol they’re “not for profit” in the loosest sense of the phrase. I really don’t think that’s a factor in the merger equation.