New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by dukuboy1 »

langosta wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:06 am If you are the chiefs do you use the draft hype to announce your plans for a new or renovated stadium?
I doubt it, especially because I think they are really tied to what the Royals do and make their announcement. I get your point and use the positive press to your advantage but I'm not sure they can.

IMO, they are looking at creating a new stadium and entire "Chiefs" entertainment district brand both Chiefs & NFL. They will be the sole owner of the TSC once the Royals announce they are moving. I expect them to have big plans for the land at the TSC, including developing what is basically hills & grass not and turning it into a major district. It will still be on an island of sorts, but could spur some other development around it but I'm not sure it will or they care. It will be an "oasis" of sorts right off 70 as you are heading out of or into downtown.

The old Adams Mark and things at that corner may develop better but not much else as it will all be contained within the TSC. People talk about "Jerry World" and that is basically the stadium, albeit the area is also the home to the Rangers and Six Flags. Not suggesting a theme park out there but something that is really "Hunt World" I can see, and maybe even they agree to lay the ground work for some sort of rail/mass transit to access the "park" so those who do not want to bring their own tailgate game day can experience it in other ways with a Game Day Village or something like that.

But I suspect the Chiefs are drawing up plans an such, keeping it very close to the vest and will announce something as some as the Royals get off their asses and do something.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't think the NFL would be too keen on Chiefs trying to take some of their spotlight either.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:15 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:06 am If you are the chiefs do you use the draft hype to announce your plans for a new or renovated stadium?
I doubt it, especially because I think they are really tied to what the Royals do and make their announcement. I get your point and use the positive press to your advantage but I'm not sure they can.

IMO, they are looking at creating a new stadium and entire "Chiefs" entertainment district brand both Chiefs & NFL. They will be the sole owner of the TSC once the Royals announce they are moving. I expect them to have big plans for the land at the TSC, including developing what is basically hills & grass not and turning it into a major district. It will still be on an island of sorts, but could spur some other development around it but I'm not sure it will or they care. It will be an "oasis" of sorts right off 70 as you are heading out of or into downtown.

The old Adams Mark and things at that corner may develop better but not much else as it will all be contained within the TSC. People talk about "Jerry World" and that is basically the stadium, albeit the area is also the home to the Rangers and Six Flags. Not suggesting a theme park out there but something that is really "Hunt World" I can see, and maybe even they agree to lay the ground work for some sort of rail/mass transit to access the "park" so those who do not want to bring their own tailgate game day can experience it in other ways with a Game Day Village or something like that.

But I suspect the Chiefs are drawing up plans an such, keeping it very close to the vest and will announce something as some as the Royals get off their asses and do something.
Yeah Jerry World is just AT&T Stadium. That is his palace but the Rangers and Texas Live areas which are developing feel very separate.

Honestly, the real Jerry Jones real estate development is The Star up in Frisco
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:23 pm Don't think the NFL would be too keen on Chiefs trying to take some of their spotlight either.
Ugh yes, this. NFL would not be pleased with anything political or controversial. They’re pretty protective of these events.

It’s all a bit Gilbert and Sullivan. Stick close to your desks and never go to sea and you too can be leader of the Queen’s navy. You don’t get these invents by standing up to the nfl. You get them by taking overseas games and shutting up.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Football Stadiums Belong in the Suburbs
Pro football represents a peculiar combination of high demand and low frequency that is a highly inefficient use of urban space. What cities need is housing.

https://www.governing.com/community/fo ... he-suburbs
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Its been pretty well known around city hall the Chiefs likely stay at Truman with a Patriots Park like developement.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

That’s the best case scenario I see for them. NFL stadiums are best placed in the suburbs, considering their limited activation, so fleshing out amenities there that cater to game days seems the best course of action for them.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:53 am That’s the best case scenario I see for them. NFL stadiums are best placed in the suburbs, considering their limited activation, so fleshing out amenities there that cater to game days seems the best course of action for them.
agreed, once a week usage at most during the season. Plus the TSC will be a blank canvas for them to develop once the Royals move.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://frontofficesports.com/vikings- ... s-early/
Minnesota has had an incredible amount of legislative wins this year. Here’s one more: paying off their stadium debt 23 years early
The Minnesota Vikings will be able to pay off debt on their publicly owned home stadium 23 years early, thanks to a new tax bill signed by Gov. Tim Walz.

The legislation will retire $377 million in outstanding stadium bonds for Minneapolis’ U.S. Bank Stadium by the end of June — wiping out debt scheduled to be paid off in 2046 and saving Minnesota taxpayers $226 million in interest.

State officials were able to retire the stadium debt after tax revenue from legalized, electronic pull-tab games — a key funding source for the facility’s bonds — soared beyond initial projections.
neptune
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neptune »

Who paid off the stadium debt, the Vikings or the taxpayers? The article is ambiguous as to who has paid off the debt.

Also note that of the $1.1B for the new Vikings stadium, taxpayers only contributed $500M apparently.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The debt that was paid off was what the state had said they would contribute to the stadium, not the team. The state's plan to pay it off over 30 years was to introduce e-pull tabs at bars and restaurants across the state. The e-tabs were such an astonishing success that the state made enough money in 7 years to fully pay off their share of the stadium instead of making minimum payments and being charged interest
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

/
Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeahhh I’m not sure I get this? What was the interest rate and was there any early payment fee?

It’s likely they cost themselves money on this one.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Jacksonville Jaguars the latest to come out with stadium redevelopment plans:

62k capacity, expandable to 71k for large events, a shade roof similar to Sofi and Allegiant, with climate controlled facilities. Potential 2bn overall cost, 1bn from the city for the stadium, 1bn from the owner for a surrounding district.

Seems another large commitment and also beyond a stadium. Maybe some similarities with KC in terms of being a similar sized metro, but maybe not in other ways as its a one team town in a city desperate to energize its downtown area which in turn gives the Jaguars a lot of leverage.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A football stadium is a bad way to try and do that. Best of luck to them I guess.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:44 pm A football stadium is a bad way to try and do that. Best of luck to them I guess.
I bet it’s a good investment financially though for both sides. They’ll likely get multiple Super Bowls, a Final 4, a SEC championship, and a decent shot at an MLS team, not to mention conventions and residential additions. Probably wouldn’t work here though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Super Bowl there I think was a pretty big failure, but yeah those other things are a maybe I guess?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Even that, I don't get the sell? We have an MLS team and we host regular NCAA football and basketball games. Maybe, maybe, we'd get a one off Superbowl or final four, but that's a lot of money to spend.

NCAA already has their place in Indianapolis and the NFL hates cold weather super bowls.