Longfellow development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Longfellow development

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I think there's room for another 2 houses at least. What they did is very odd. They cleared out all the trees and put this house on the edge of the property. I'm guessing they're just building one at a time but it would still seem like you'd want to start at the side of the property away from 27th and keep the trees until you know you're going to build the other houses.

If this is the final product of their plan. Yikes! I don't get it at all.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

2805 Gillham is under contract. This is the old six-plex flanked by some vacant lots.

The owner would sell outright but was also looking to explore a joint-venture development with the new purchaser. They had a concept drawn up by El Dorado that involved demoing the six-plex and replacing it with a 5 story, 66 unit apartment building over structured parking, with additional surface parking in the rear.

I like the added density of 66 units, but I would prefer if the original building could be saved and a couple of smaller new buildings constructed on either side (maybe with some first floor retail on the corner of 28th).

Here is the marketing materials with the plan:
http://images2.loopnet.com/d2/-UgJ5K9yR ... cument.pdf

And the listing:
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2805-280 ... O/8417671/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would hate to loose this graceful sixplex. Such an evocative name etched in stone...Narcissus.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yeah, it would be sad to loose. I know there are a ton of similar six-plexes in KC, but this one has a few unique touches that make it special.

I didn't notice the name on it before. It's interesting because there is a nearby apartment building on Harrison off 31st that was called The Narcissist. I don't know if that was the original name of that building or if whoever did the strange rehab (in the 90s, I believe) adding the umbrellas in front coined that name. The current rehab on that building has been dragging on for ages but it looks like it may be near completion/partially occupied.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote:Would hate to loose this graceful sixplex. Such an evocative name etched in stone...Narcissus.
ironically, that building is emblematic of our last big multifamily boom.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 pm New house being constructed at 918 E. 28th Street.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

3035 Harrison has been renovated,and it appears to have residents living there. I'm really surprised. I thought this building would be demolished since it had become vacant and fallen into bad shape. I was sure vagrants would set it on fire. I can't believe how quickly they renovated this building, and that it got by me without notice.

The apartments seem decent. They certainly fall into the affordable category. A one-bedroom with a built-in microwave and dishwasher goes for under $700 a month. Studios are under $600. There is an on-site laundry room, off-street parking, and the building has central air.

If the UMKC Conservatory moves into former Westport High School building, students could live here and ride a bike to the campus. Same with the KC Art Institute. Hospital Hill staff could walk there and back.

Before.

After.

https://leasingkc.com/listing/mo/kansas ... rrison-31/
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:42 amI can't believe how quickly they renovated this building, and that it got by me without notice.
The latter may be true, but no the former. The renovation took several years. I know it had started before mid 2015. Although the signage is new, I believe it has been done for a while now (at least partially completed and occupied). I wonder if the original "developer" even completed this. It was his first project and had many stops and starts, taking much longer than his unrealistic planned completion date.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:23 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:42 amI can't believe how quickly they renovated this building, and that it got by me without notice.
The latter may be true, but no the former. The renovation took several years. I know it had started before mid 2015. Although the signage is new, I believe it has been done for a while now (at least partially completed and occupied). I wonder if the original "developer" even completed this. It was his first project and had many stops and starts, taking much longer than his unrealistic planned completion date.
Same developer who wanted to try and renovate 911 Linwood and actually started work before (IIRC) the financing died.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

New Gas Station at 901 E. 27th Street

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 7b913664ac

More details ^^^^^

The last thing we need in our neighborhood is a 27/7 gas station. We don't need anymore crime on this corner.

What is there now is terrible and an absolute eye sore, but this isn't going to do the area any good.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

Longfellow update:

https://imgur.com/gallery/9uIf94d

Also

Another new home being built on 25th block of Charlotte. Could not get photos.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

90's KC lesbians taking the man out of woman, forming near Longfellow/Dutch Hill. Womontown...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdlnJRzgIdk
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

Planning commission has a date on June 13th to divide up the vacant lot at the corner of 29th and Holmes into five single-family lots.