Main St. Buick GMC Site - 3200 Main St.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Main St. Buick GMC Site - 3200 Main St.

Post by FangKC »

I wish that Baltimore can be extended from 31st Street south to re-establish a grid there and perhaps a couple of the east-west streets re-aligned. This would break the area up into more traditional parcels.

Now

Realignment

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How about a 21st century version of the Pla-Mor which once took up most of this area?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^ Like Chelsea Piers. The Pla-Mor had an enormous ballroom, bowling alley, several restaurants, and an ice rink plus a giant swimming pool. I think the pool would be overkill, but the other amenities could be interesting.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Something like Park Place would be nice here.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

herrfrank wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:21 pm ^ Like Chelsea Piers. The Pla-Mor had an enormous ballroom, bowling alley, several restaurants, and an ice rink plus a giant swimming pool. I think the pool would be overkill, but the other amenities could be interesting.
The area is seriously lacking a public pool.
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

The area is seriously lacking any public or private indoor adult lap pool with decent hours.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Lack of outdoor public pools should be a huge embarrassment for KC. Some are small shallow little pools best for children. Some in recent years have been closed due to maintenance issues or lack of staff, Swope was closed last year right? I heard Jarboe Park pool was under threat of closure, someone asked me to sign a petition to keep it. There are few big pools with both shallow kids areas, lap area, diving boards etc. For indoor laps my wife used to go to the Gregg Klice community center, not sure how it is, I didn't go with her. There should be a really grand, marquee outdoor public pool added to PVP is you ask me.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There needs to be a big recreation center like the North Kansas City YMCA.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:21 pm There needs to be a big recreation center like the North Kansas City YMCA.
Don’t disagree, but this is not the location for that use.
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:45 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... dtown.html
"Pending approval from the city, VanTrust is proceeding with the demolition of the McGilley Funeral Home," Grant Harrison, senior director of development, said in an email statement Wednesday. "There are currently no set plans for a specific project, but it’s a great infill site located just off the planned streetcar extension. We will continue to monitor development along Main Street, and we look forward to collaborating with the city and surrounding properties once we have a plan to present."
McGilley demolition has started, it came down pretty quickly.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Didn't there used to be some sort of arena there back in the day? I thought a read a hockey team played at that location.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes. It was part of the Pla-Mor Entertainment Complex.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Site bought by another auto dealer
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:38 pm Site bought by another auto dealer
Saw that as well. Absolutely shameful.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’m surprised since the terms to purchase the property made it sound like if you purchased it, a car dealership had a 5-year lease connected to it. I need to see the parcel viewer to know if Oakes actually bought the site or if they’re the one leasing from a new owner. If they did buy it, massive bummer. This would cement this intersection as a blight for decades to come.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:34 pm I’m surprised since the terms to purchase the property made it sound like if you purchased it, a car dealership had a 5-year lease connected to it. I need to see the parcel viewer to know if Oakes actually bought the site or if they’re the one leasing from a new owner. If they did buy it, massive bummer. This would cement this intersection as a blight for decades to come.
Parcel viewer shows the properties are owned by:
Seattle Realty LLC
Po Box 2977
20 W 2nd Fl 2nd
Hutchinson, KS 67504
If I recall correctly, that's the same owner that has owned the site for a while now. Colliers still has the properties listed on their website.
https://www.colliers.com/en/properties/ ... usa1087253

And Main Street GMC's lease ended on the property last year, so Oakes might've just bought the dealership and renewed the lease. Either way, I don't feel like all hope is lost yet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the car dealership building is on a lease basis, not all hope is lost. The parcel owner would then likely sell to a developer for the right price, and it could be redeveloped when the lease runs out. I think the post office parcel will be harder to pry out of their hands for redevelopment. A developer could try to make a deal to build the post office a new maintenance garage facility somewhere else.

It might be possible because it seems the present facility doesn't have much room to park vehicles which means they have to be always moving things around to get to vehicles.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0703794 ... ?entry=ttu
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

That funeral home was for sale for a long time around 400k IIRC.

The auto dealership land is owned by Conklin Fangman out of Hutch -- purchased from the Major family of Ward Pkwy (Major Cadillac for many years).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Van Trust has put the former site of the funeral home up for sale.

VanTrust looks to sell former funeral home site along KC streetcar extension
VanTrust Real Estate LLC recently listed a 2-acre site at 20 W. LInwood Blvd. through Newmark Zimmer. The property previously was the location of McGilley Memorial Chapel-Midtown. VanTrust bought the property in September 2022 and demolished the funeral home in May. It had contemplated building a residential project at the location, but never submitted a plan.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 9&empos=p5