Hot Rocks Pizza

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Hot Rocks Pizza

Post by w00lyb00ger »

Good quality pizza is kind of scarce in the northland so that place is definitely worth checking out.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Hot Rocks Pizza

Post by dukuboy1 »

Looked at some pics & such online. Food looks great. You are right not too many Northland exclusive pizza joints. Going to give this place a try. There are some gems tucked away though up here; Leo’s, Nicky’s, Ikey’s, Zios, Pizza Tascio. The 1st 4 are old school almost neighborhood joints, always locals there. If you recall Judges Pizza you can still get it at a bar on Antioch called My Other Place or something like that. Used to be a home/fortune teller place when I was growing up, now a bar. Crazy world
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

Nicky’s is good. Ikey’s is closed I thought? Been meaning to try Tascio sometime. Heard good things about it.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

RE: northland pizza joints, Leo's is great for STL-style (my wife is from our brick big brother), and I've recently discovered Sutera's on north oak and thought it was pretty solid. Kind of miss Kelso's in downtown NKC, not that it was particularly amazing.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I miss Kelso's pizza in NKC as well, always a decent pizza but nothing amazing. Tascio is great, Minsky's is probably our go-to to but it's not cheap. Stone Canyon has kind of gone downhill tbh. The one in Gladstone is better but the Parkville one has been kind of off after the last couple times. I'll have to try this place, although I can't tell from the pictures but the crust looks kind of looks pre-made. I have been meaning to try Leo's or Nicky's.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Leo’s is the best STL style pizza, and get a salad with the house sweet Italian dressing. Leo’s puts Imos to shame IMO.

I thought Ikey’s/the Hideout is still open, but I could be wrong
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

I believe The Hideout still is but Ikeys is closed.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

OMG LEO'S. I know not everyone is into the provel on pizza thing, but I love it when I want a change of pace, and Leo's absolutely destroys anything I've had in St. Louis or anywhere else for STL style pizza. I'm pretty sure I saw a sign that said you could get mozz if you wanted. Actually, now that I think about it, I thought I saw at some point pre-Covid that Caddyshack started offering a provel option...? Anybody try that?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

mean wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:42 am OMG LEO'S. I know not everyone is into the provel on pizza thing, but I love it when I want a change of pace, and Leo's absolutely destroys anything I've had in St. Louis or anywhere else for STL style pizza. I'm pretty sure I saw a sign that said you could get mozz if you wanted. Actually, now that I think about it, I thought I saw at some point pre-Covid that Caddyshack started offering a provel option...? Anybody try that?
Yep, Caddyshack is solid for STL-style, they will do provel. Sauce can be a little sweet for my tastes. Multiple bonuses there however - kitchen is open late, they have T-ravs, and they deliver to my house.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Caddyshack has pretty good food in general. I like their pizza & they do a good STL with provel. Sauce is a little sweet but really good. Give them a try. Cool place with a real old school neighborhood bar feel. Huge bonus, free popcorn, serve yourself 8)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I find the sweetness of the sauce is balanced, for my taste anyway, by its spiciness. Not that its particularly hot, but it's just got some vague, left-on-the-tongue, am-I-even-tasting-this type of heat to it that builds up as you keep eating slice after slice, like there's just enough cayenne that if you just ate one slice you would never even notice, but if you eat a whole small pizza you'll be like, "When the hell did that get spicy?"

It may be that my problem is I cannot stop until I eat the whole small pizza... :lol:
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

mean wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am I find the sweetness of the sauce is balanced, for my taste anyway, by its spiciness. Not that its particularly hot, but it's just got some vague, left-on-the-tongue, am-I-even-tasting-this type of heat to it that builds up as you keep eating slice after slice, like there's just enough cayenne that if you just ate one slice you would never even notice, but if you eat a whole small pizza you'll be like, "When the hell did that get spicy?"

It may be that my problem is I cannot stop until I eat the whole small pizza... :lol:
I don’t taste any spiciness in their sauce but it could be because I eat habaneros and other spicy food practically every day and my palate is a little less sensitive to it. They actually have a ton of different sauces to choose from though which is unusual for a pizza place.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Oh I was responding specifically about Caddyshack, I should have quoted the post I was responding to.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

My whole family got food poisoning from here. Worst I've ever had in my life. I'll never return.

Pizza wasn't that good anyways.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm done with caddyshack also, had it a few weeks ago and it was horrible, the toppings were just crappy and i always loved the place, the servers didn't give a crap, the whole place just had a bunch of jersey shore type workers/owners drinking and swearing, getting drunk at the bar
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

dnweava wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:14 pm My whole family got food poisoning from here. Worst I've ever had in my life. I'll never return.

A 4 1/2 star rating on Yelp. Apparently the overwhelming majority disagree.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

w00lyb00ger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:27 pm
dnweava wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:14 pm My whole family got food poisoning from here. Worst I've ever had in my life. I'll never return.

Yelp isn't the be all, end all people think. Everyone is allowed their opinion & they don't like it.
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:55 pm
w00lyb00ger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Yelp isn't the be all, end all people think. Everyone is allowed their opinion & they don't like it.
It proves that a lot of people disagree with him. Yeah, he’s entitled to his opinion and I’m entitled to my opinion of his opinion so I guess you’ll have to get over it. 😉
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:10 pm I'm done with caddyshack also, had it a few weeks ago and it was horrible, the toppings were just crappy and i always loved the place, the servers didn't give a crap, the whole place just had a bunch of jersey shore type workers/owners drinking and swearing, getting drunk at the bar
Respectfully, I think this could describe Caddyshack at any point over the last several decades (with the possible exception of the toppings being no good).