Grand Blvd Closures

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Grand Blvd Closures

Post by FangKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:01 pm My parents stayed at the ambassador for mother's day, so I spent more time around and walking to that area than normal.

It has a weird vibe when the streets are blocked off and there's nothing going on at TMobile. That whole walk home to the crossroads is strange on grand. That gas station is always sketchy at night.

Grand just is a very odd street the whole stretch.
They never did that Make Grand Grand project. Could have started by fixing crumbling sidewalks, adding some trees, and landscaped medians.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:56 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:01 pm My parents stayed at the ambassador for mother's day, so I spent more time around and walking to that area than normal.

It has a weird vibe when the streets are blocked off and there's nothing going on at TMobile. That whole walk home to the crossroads is strange on grand. That gas station is always sketchy at night.

They never did that Make Grand Grand project. Could have started by fixing crumbling sidewalks, adding some trees, and landscaped medians.
Would have been great

https://www.bnim.com/project/grand-boul ... scape-plan
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

You mean the fake flags didn’t do it for you?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:29 pm

Would have been great

https://www.bnim.com/project/grand-boul ... scape-plan
It’s a huge miss they couldn’t do more. I hate walking on main and grand, so I normally use walnut.

If we’re going to try to connect a few of these neighborhoods in a better way, Grand would be nice.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:10 pm You mean the fake flags didn’t do it for you?
GRAND BOULEVARD OF THE AMERICAS*

*just don't ask for it to be pleasant
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Look at how quickly trees changed the feeling of McGee from 2011 to 2022 -- 11 years can make a difference. Grand would be looking similarly had trees been planted in 2011 when the Make Grand Grand thread started.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1817+ ... 11bw3__sgh

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1817+ ... 11bw3__sgh
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Surprise surprise.. Grand has been closed completely for at least the last 48 hours straight. Looks to be closed for another 24 hours with the Cirque Du Soleil tonight. Zero pedestrians in the streets, as usual. No safety reasons for the closure of a public street for the last two days. Just the usual inconvenience for everyone in the area.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Closed all day today so far, along with Walnut. Big Slick event at 8pm tonight, unfortunately that's no excuse for another all day closing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

closed last night too but that was for a murder so guess that one is justified.

Let's not forget also closed at 9th for weeks now for some slow moving infrastructure project.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:25 pm closed last night too but that was for a murder so guess that one is justified.

Let's not forget also closed at 9th for weeks now for some slow moving infrastructure project.
https://www.kctv5.com/2023/06/03/shooti ... es-1-dead/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Walked by Prime yesterday. Some BMW (assume the owners) parked on the sidewalk, frisking people going in at 8pm. Great place.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

That area is notoriously sketchy at night. The gas station on 17th always has a police officer after a certain hour.

I walked over there a couple weeks ago late because everything else was closed and got abuse the whole way there. It was mostly good natured (I had a Messi shirt on and they said they didn’t know Messi was a fat white guy). But women got it rougher and I wouldn’t want to walk there at night.

They have cars that just pull up and hang out when bars close. It’s annoying.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Any chance Cordish is keeping Grand closed at Truman to cut down on sideshows?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

100% why they do it. They end up just making the problem worse as now they create dead ends on both sides of their closure and the sideshows don't have traffic to deal with. But not in front of their businesses so win for them.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:58 pm 100% why they do it. They end up just making the problem worse as now they create dead ends on both sides of their closure and the sideshows don't have traffic to deal with. But not in front of their businesses so win for them.
Ahh, I see. I thought maybe the bollard placement made the intersections unappealing because of geometry, but sounds like that isn't the case!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they mostly are doing it south of the 670 bridge. City put these silly plastic pucks in the intersection that supposed to stop it. They are gone in a month.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

smh wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:55 pm Any chance Cordish is keeping Grand closed at Truman to cut down on sideshows?
They've done it for years. I don't think this is the reason why. I think it's because Cordish is too cheap and lazy to pay a contractor to place and remove the barricades that close Grand within an hour prior or after any scheduled events at T-Mobile center, as the agreement apparently stipulates.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:16 pm That area is notoriously sketchy at night. The gas station on 17th always has a police officer after a certain hour.

I walked over there a couple weeks ago late because everything else was closed and got abuse the whole way there. It was mostly good natured (I had a Messi shirt on and they said they didn’t know Messi was a fat white guy). But women got it rougher and I wouldn’t want to walk there at night.

Prime is the new America's Pub. Maybe Westport will calm down now that Prime is the new hotspot. I believe a person was killed here on Friday around Prime on First Friday
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:33 pm
smh wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:55 pm Any chance Cordish is keeping Grand closed at Truman to cut down on sideshows?
They've done it for years. I don't think this is the reason why. I think it's because Cordish is too cheap and lazy to pay a contractor to place and remove the barricades that close Grand within an hour prior or after any scheduled events at T-Mobile center, as the agreement apparently stipulates.
Length and frequency definitely increased since sideshows and 4x4 / dirt bikes became more of a thing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:57 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:16 pm That area is notoriously sketchy at night. The gas station on 17th always has a police officer after a certain hour.

Prime is the new America's Pub. Maybe Westport will calm down now that Prime is the new hotspot. I believe a person was killed here on Friday around Prime on First Friday
Originally pitched as a "pizzeria".