Oak Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by grovester »

Bad link for me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:46 pm Unsure if it’s been posted here, and I imagine a number y’all have already signed, but Mike Czerniewski had started this petition, with the hope of presenting the idea of a JOCO extension to the JOCO Board of Commissioners, as well as municipal leaders and county stakeholders. Urban Lab is also working on this in loose partnership to develop graphics of potential corridors and possible routings. Any support you all can provide in signing the petition would be greatly appreciated. Link below!

JOCO Streetcar Petition https://chng.it/nnHjDhXQfJ
Don't bother with a do-nothing change.org or armchair planning thing (follow SmartMoves, the work has been done). There's real conversation happening behind the scenes. Make sure your elected official know where you stand. Contact them DIRECTLY saying transit is a priority.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:13 pm Bad link for me.
Sorry, should be fixed now
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:14 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:46 pm Unsure if it’s been posted here, and I imagine a number y’all have already signed, but Mike Czerniewski had started this petition, with the hope of presenting the idea of a JOCO extension to the JOCO Board of Commissioners, as well as municipal leaders and county stakeholders. Urban Lab is also working on this in loose partnership to develop graphics of potential corridors and possible routings. Any support you all can provide in signing the petition would be greatly appreciated. Link below!

JOCO Streetcar Petition https://chng.it/nnHjDhXQfJ
Don't bother with a do-nothing change.org or armchair planning thing (follow SmartMoves, the work has been done). There's real conversation happening behind the scenes. Make sure your elected official know where you stand. Contact them DIRECTLY saying transit is a priority.
Thanks Dave, good to know. I imagine it exists on here, and is also probably a simple google search as well, but do you happen to have a specific link to JOCO specific studied projects that would tie into the KCMO system?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

NFL Draft helps drive highest April ridership...

Even early April hit over 12K on a weekend day, which is on par with pre-covid peaks but remote work probably still impacting weekdays...
https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... ership.pdf
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

What was the cause of the streetcar closing down today? I understand its track repairs at/around i679 bridge. Did something fail? Was there a wreck?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yikes. Wonder how long that will take to fix
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does not seem like a quick fix. I assume bridge vibration then heat are the primary cause?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:47 am Does not seem like a quick fix. I assume bridge vibration then heat are the primary cause?
Yes.

The city owns this I-670 bridge (and the streetcar), so they are fully responsible for the repair. The good news is that there are qualified teams on the ground now for the Main Street Extension that could theoretically do repairs (and the city/KCATA project managers are all still around).
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

3L’s staging area was that (now) empty lot just south of the calverts auto shop. Do you think those construction trucks + the heat had an impact?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Rail buckling is a common occurrence in places that get hot. Can be mitigated some but the cause seems pretty clear
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

langosta wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:18 pm Rail buckling is a common occurrence in places that get hot. Can be mitigated some but the cause seems pretty clear
That spot has a fairly large arch over the bridge. I’d say it was in tension for awhile and a rail connection broke loose.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:15 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:47 am Does not seem like a quick fix. I assume bridge vibration then heat are the primary cause?
Yes.

The city owns this I-670 bridge (and the streetcar), so they are fully responsible for the repair. The good news is that there are qualified teams on the ground now for the Main Street Extension that could theoretically do repairs (and the city/KCATA project managers are all still around).
Definitely good timing having them here. Saw some saying maybe 3L building and or construction traffic could have been a factor too? They did just bring down the crane
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If you look up close, you can see how the pressure (probably from the heat) literally broke through what is left of the track slab concrete. Big chunks gone right along the rail on the west of the slab.

Relevant: The MSE track slab is made of sturdier stuff. Part of the cost increase, and worth every penny.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So is it down longer now to do a bigger better fix or just replace it quick and do a major fix another time?
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

I was walking down Main near 45th and noticed that on the new concrete for the extension track that they’ve laid, there is a full depth crack already at one of the joints.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Imarealperson wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:37 am I was walking down Main near 45th and noticed that on the new concrete for the extension track that they’ve laid, there is a full depth crack already at one of the joints.
Do they heat bend these tracks at the major curves and arches or are they just concrete them in place with tension? If not, this could cause some major problems on pieces of the line with high vertical and horizontal fluctuations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:37 am
Imarealperson wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:37 am I was walking down Main near 45th and noticed that on the new concrete for the extension track that they’ve laid, there is a full depth crack already at one of the joints.
Do they heat bend these tracks at the major curves and arches or are they just concrete them in place with tension? If not, this could cause some major problems on pieces of the line with high vertical and horizontal fluctuations.
They have to be pre-bent right? I mean I don't own any knowledge in this area just seems the steel would need to be bent?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:03 am They have to be pre-bent right? I mean I don't own any knowledge in this area just seems the steel would need to be bent?
I’ve seen them move the rails into place for the construction and they do have a good amount of give and at least lateral movement. But, it seems that would only extend a certain amount and to bend past a certain point would require force, which would weaken the integrity somewhat, or heat. Just wondering if forced bending and holding in place with concrete might cause eventual weakness in the concrete.