OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

The latest the shops are even stated to be open is 11 and most of the time our last flight is gone by 10 (tonight 2 past 10} so why are we asking them to stay open past that. Why is that incompetent?

I've also not experienced broken or dirty bathrooms my last few visits. My last pickup of someone in the evening had nobody even at the curb? Seems like a lot of internet Facebook anecdotes?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:27 pm The latest the shops are even stated to be open is 11 and most of the time our last flight is gone by 10 (tonight 2 past 10} so why are we asking them to stay open past that. Why is that incompetent?

I've also not experienced broken or dirty bathrooms my last few visits. My last pickup of someone in the evening had nobody even at the curb? Seems like a lot of internet Facebook anecdotes?
It sure seems like you don't view any airport criticism as valid. Enough people have commented here and elsewhere with issues that it's not just Facebook hearsay. Clearly, things need to still get ironed out, even if you're okay with the service being provided.

Everything I mentioned in the post I experienced myself over the last few months. Coworkers, friends, and family members have mentioned similar issues with no prompting from me. In fact, I've yet to mention my issues in person as I was a vocal supporter of the new terminal. I still am, but the operations team needs to get their shit in order quickly.

One of the main selling points of the new terminals was concession options for travelers. When shops are closed earlier than their posted time, it looks podunk. I don't care if it's "only an hour". If they say it'll be open till 11, it needs to be open till 11.

What is incompetent is a custodial staff that puts up a handwritten "out of soap" sign in the baggage claim restroom, but only once you're already at the sink. Or when catching a 5am flight, the restroom floors are inexplicably already covered in paper towels and filthy mirrors. Or when there are multiple cop cars parked blocking the two pick-up lanes, but no actual officers out enforcing rules. I've experienced each of those multiple times now. If they need more staff, then communicate that with the public. Otherwise, it looks like there's no quality control.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've posted quite a few things if like see improved myself. The over dramatic descriptors with these things we are noticing seems over the top to me
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

That's fine that you don't like how people post. They're still issues people are experiencing.

Also... there's no real discussion stemming from posts saying "I liked X & Y".

With that said, here's what's still solid IMO after many flights:
- When the concessions are open, I've found the product selection great. The food also tends to be relatively fresh.
- Actual airport finishes, artwork, and electronics are holding up pretty well. Even the infamous terrazzo.
- New seating is night & day from the tired old terminal seats. So much better on your back!
- TSA takes no time to get through. I appreciate staffing precheck even in the early hours.
- Likewise, I've had no issues with baggage claim. In fact, I'd say KC now has the fastest turnaround of deplaning to bag-in-hand of the airports I frequent.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think some of these comments are over the top, and I haven't experienced anything this bad, other than the outdoor traffic stuff.

I am happy that Pat Klein is retiring though and we'll have new leadership. I don't think anyone can look at what happened to the old terminal and some of the issues at the new one and say this has been a wonderfuly run organization. Some new blood is needed in there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is no doubt operations could be better but I'm giving a little more latitude given new bigger terminals and more retail outlets and the staffing problems and the time we are currently from opening. On top of that how little I've heard my friends family bring these up on their experiences make me think not much of a thing. Now if this continues a year sure bigger deal.

I agree change at the top will be good for everyone.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:06 pm I think some of these comments are over the top, and I haven't experienced anything this bad, other than the outdoor traffic stuff.

I am happy that Pat Klein is retiring though and we'll have new leadership. I don't think anyone can look at what happened to the old terminal and some of the issues at the new one and say this has been a wonderfuly run organization. Some new blood is needed in there.
The head of operations is staying.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

langosta wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:58 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:06 pm I think some of these comments are over the top, and I haven't experienced anything this bad, other than the outdoor traffic stuff.

The head of operations is staying.
I think the organization could do with some streamlining as well. I'm not here to say anyone is bad at their job. But a bit fewer direct reports and more accountability would be welcome.

I don't know much about Ian, but he's been there awhile. Everyone thinks of Justin because of his online presence.

It would be nice to have someone running more accountable to the public. It's not great that what we get mostly comes from a guy in charge of marketing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they should add those happy/sad faces everywhere and let's find out what people are thinking. Although does anybody really touch those things?
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

I got to experience the traffic jam for arrivals last night. It was around midnight. Pretty frustrating, but what I saw reinforced my belief this is a behavior problem.

Usually pick up at busy airport is pretty chaotic, and it was for maybe the first third of the pick up area. That's what I would expect, people quickly going in and out. But the last third I swear I saw maybe two cars out of two full rows actually being loaded, the rest were just parked and waiting.

For what it's worth, the part of the cell phone lot I was in was also full and busy, so maybe there are some infrastructure improvements that could be made there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:27 pm Might be why late night has issues

https://twitter.com/justinmeyerkc/statu ... t5SmDJC-Ow
Lot of people, late so less patient pick up people, more frustrated late travelers. Also good indication of not building arrivals bigger for this small amount of time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

iamrealz wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:36 am I got to experience the traffic jam for arrivals last night. It was around midnight. Pretty frustrating, but what I saw reinforced my belief this is a behavior problem.

Usually pick up at busy airport is pretty chaotic, and it was for maybe the first third of the pick up area. That's what I would expect, people quickly going in and out. But the last third I swear I saw maybe two cars out of two full rows actually being loaded, the rest were just parked and waiting.

For what it's worth, the part of the cell phone lot I was in was also full and busy, so maybe there are some infrastructure improvements that could be made there.
Could you get in using the 2nd lane and just the 1st lane was at a standstill?
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:38 am
iamrealz wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:36 am I got to experience the traffic jam for arrivals last night. It was around midnight. Pretty frustrating, but what I saw reinforced my belief this is a behavior problem.

Yeah, the 2nd lane was open, but being my first time picking someone up, I didn't know there were two accessible lanes until I got close. The back up was worse as we were exiting, the Paris overpass was full.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

iamrealz wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:17 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:38 am

Yeah, the 2nd lane was open, but being my first time picking someone up, I didn't know there were two accessible lanes until I got close. The back up was worse as we were exiting, the Paris overpass was full.
So it's more a learning curve and better signage. Easy fixes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Always drive past the queued traffic at places like airports, stadiums etc. Royals and Chiefs games are the same way. Lanes on 435 and 70 will back up for miles and miles and miles, but you an typically drive all the way to the parking lot gates without delay by simply using all the available lanes and passing everybody waiting in line. People will sit and wait in a line even though there are many more lanes going to the stadiums.

I know KC people need to get used to not parking at the curb, but I still say the roadway system leading to the terminal is very poorly designed, the length of the drop off / pick up zones is too short and there is too much crosswalk activity impeding traffic.

They decided to cram the terminal and garage into that area vs building it in a new location where a properly designed roadway system could be built specifically for a two level single terminal. Then you have 80% of the people using the airport cross the at level crosswalk on the arrivals level combined with a relatively short drop off /pick up zone for the size/volume of the airport.

It's a nice or at least average terminal overall, but I was concerned about some of these designs from the first days I started seeing construction pics.

And yeah, I would say the airport needs some new leadership. I mean just the way they ran the shuttle buses was enough for me to think that key people at the airport have no idea what they are doing when it comes to basic logistics.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How can we say it's too short when it's never been fully utilized even at the first curb lane at any time of the day?

turn around I totally agree and they could fix that with a diverging diamond on the Paris overpass and make going back around super quick.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

I was also a part of last night, but on the other side- I was on a very delayed flight that didn't board until after midnight. I was generally surprised as to how busy the terminals felt with us that were delayed (around 4 flights total) and at least happy they had us all located at the end by the grab & go store as there was literally nothing open when I came through security (which itself was down to one lane total)

So late night terminal experiences (2230-0030):
- no amenities open (understandable, but surprising a bar didn't stay open late considering there was around 3-400 of us in there.)
- the terminal lighting dimmed considerable before midnight, which was a surprise and also confusing.
- a very KC thing happened with boarding as there were no chair pushers, so most of the SW staff in the local gate area and crew flying standby all chipped in to shuttle everyone down to the plane and get us on our way ASAP.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I always wish there was a "stay open until last flight leaves" bar now but I guess being that worker you just want to go home when you are scheduled to go home.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Going back to the other ongoing discussion of "what's going to happen to the empty lounge shell?", I dug through Compass and found some recent projects that *could* potentially be related to it.

A $1.65 million "Terminal Tenant Modifications KCI" project that last had activity on it in April is showing as cancelled; a smaller ($212,000) "MCI/KCI Tenant Bulletin 32" project has been active within the past week.